The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1.6 Diesel Camshaft half shell bearings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vandyke50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1.6 Diesel Camshaft half shell bearings
    Posted: 26 Jun 15 at 17:01
Hi, Hope someone can set me straight on this, I have a 1.6 diesel Transporter 1986.
Last summer I had to replace the cylinder head and the French mechanic said that those bearings from the old head wouldn't fit so he replaced them with others.
Since then I get the oil light at low revs and now the buzzer at under 2000 revs.
Recently I have been told that the original engines did not have those bearings unless the shaft had been modified.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Wilson
Timjburrows View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timjburrows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 15 at 22:17
No shells in a 1.6 diesel head? Could be the intermediate shaft shells worn at the vacuum pump end,often overlooked but can loose pressure there when hot, quite difficult to do as it has to be lined up correctly and fitted with a special tool and honed to fit
vandyke50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vandyke50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 15 at 23:00
Cheers,
Sorry but "intermediate shaft shells worn at the vacuum pump end" means nothing.
I'm just learning and only relying on various mechanics.
Can you suggest any site that might show what you are talking about?
Also do you agree that these engines never were fitted with those half shell bearings?
Thanks for your time.
Wilson
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timjburrows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 15 at 23:46
As far as I know not fitted but with machining if the pd ones fitted there is a possibility it could be done,low oil pressure should ONLYbe diagnosed with an oil pressure gauge not the oil warning light as there are two,one works below 2000 revs and the other above.the oil pressure sender on the oil filter housing is a low pressure sender and if it fails I think from memory the light and buzzer will be on. Google vw T3 BUZZER OF DOOM may help.could be just a wire off the sender unit on the head,or broken wire, easy cheep fix, well serviced vw diesels go on for ever,if you know the history of yours that should help

Edited by Timjburrows - 26 Jun 15 at 23:51
vandyke50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vandyke50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 15 at 00:52
Thanks again. I have checked both high and low sensors also re-did the connectors.
As the oil light only comes on after many miles or up to normal temp I'm pretty sure the oil pump is fine.
I really appreciate your input.
Cheers,
Kim
Wilson
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timjburrows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 15 at 12:28
Intermediate shaft is the one that is driven from the cam belt and sits below the injector pump inside the engine with a plain pulley on it,it has two white metal bearings(like big end bearings but one piece),the shaft drives the oil pump and vacuum pump for the brakesat the clutch end of the engine,it's possable to get a new bearing with out buying the shaft as well, although vw don't list it there is a part number on it so vw can get one using the number
vandyke50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vandyke50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 15 at 13:03
Thanks again Tim,
The engine ran perfectly until the head overheated and cracked, new head was put on and from the start the red light would come on at stop lights then stay off.
Now it's seems worse, once the engine is hot the light and buzzer come on until I rev the engine.
As I was on the road last summer in France all I wanted to do was get home so I didn't pursue the light issue with the mechanic.
He did say when I asked him that he noticed the light also ;_)
If the problem is with the camshaft bearings do you think I should go without those half shell bearings and change the camshaft if mine has been modified in the past or is it possible the mechanic just used the wrong bearings?
For the first half hour of driving all is fine, only later when the temp gauge is at the halfway (normal) mark does the light and buzzer come on.
All the best thanks again,
Kim
Wilson
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timjburrows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 15 at 15:15
It's possable the cam has been machined and now is to small so a reduction in oil pressure, may be another cam would cure the problem????
vandyke50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vandyke50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 15 at 18:53
I take the VW in on Tue, problem I have is the mechanic although very good doesn't speak much English and I speak no Polish
Looks like maybe a new cam is the fix, then those bearings won't be needed.
I can get a cam from the UK for 80 GB but as always the shipping is a problem with price.
I hope I can source one here in Poland.
Cheers,
Kim
Wilson
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timjburrows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 15 at 22:12
Just been on vw cat,shells are or were available to do a recon on a head,if you had a new head the cam will probably have been machined hence Low oil pressure,the new cam should be part number 068109101b was fitted to all 1.6 diesels WITHOUT hydraulic lifters.ive learnet something today I'm not an expert,x a has been,spert,a small drip under pressure
vandyke50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vandyke50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 15 at 10:31
Morning Tim,
My engine does have the lifters, I remember in the old head one was a different size than the others, the mechanic had no idea why.
You have been a great help.
Cheers,
Kim
Wilson
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timjburrows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 15 at 12:24
Pleasure hope you get it sorted ok,funny vw cat shows shells for a jx head but not for any other heads,I'm new to t3s but had vw diesels since 1982 still learning it's a shame I had a cracked head that went in the bin a couple of months ago with a good cam in it you could of had foc but that's life👍
vandyke50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vandyke50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 15 at 13:42
Hiya Tim,
Thanks, I found this U tube vid which is pretty good, I don't see any of the bearings on this chaps engine.
You threw out the head with cam and pieces?  silly man Wink
Appreciate the thought and once I get sorted I will let you know the results.
All the best,
Kim
https://youtu.be/CFIYHhu_eEc
Wilson
 Post Reply Post Reply