The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

15 inch wheels (and tyres) for LT28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ltflorida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 15 inch wheels (and tyres) for LT28
    Posted: 16 Aug 09 at 16:44
Hi,

I'd like to fit 15 inch wheels or alloys to my Westfalia Florida on an LT28 van.

I would be very grateful if anyone has some steel wheels from an LT35 or knowledge of what's involved in putting alloys on safely! I don't want to just bolt on alloys and then find the bolts snap and I end up three-wheeling!

Any advice gratefully received.

Christian. Tel: 07930 206 448
LT FLORIDA
GT500 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GT500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 09 at 17:57
Just spoke to a chap doing hub converters at the Harewood show. He is going to have a look at producing some!
I said either Porsche5x130 or Audi 5x112. I will find out more this week. Anyone interested?
They will be 100% safe. the LT wheels only locate on the bolts, not centrally. The converters will locate the same then will have a location centrally for the alloys.
I have some 16" split rim Porsche wheels sat waiting to go on!

Rob... The only LT on 18" wheels.
BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 09 at 00:20
Hi guys,
            check out these two threads  http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/lt-alloy-wheels_topic41583.html and  http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/lt35-wheels-alternative-wheels_topic42028.html regarding alternative wheels etc for LT's but you need to remember if you're  looking to put alloys on then they need to be rated for commercials (e.g. transits etc) as I don't think your porche wheels will be rated high enough (the 28, 31, or 35 denotes the max gross weight 2.8, 3.1, or 3.5 tonnes your van can be including load) so any wheels (and tyres) you put on it need to be rated to carry this weight, (or at least a quarter of it, one wheel on each corner LOL)
                                            cheers, Jack.

Edited by BeJay - 17 Aug 09 at 09:22
NIL ILLIGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 09 at 10:11
Totally agree with BeJay on this point.
I had a trailer which used mini wheels and stub axles for many years, worked fine until I went for some top soil and the guy filled the trailer.
Basically the wheels disintegrated within a mile or so without warning.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

GT500 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GT500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 09 at 13:02
Just looking at some Cayenne wheels. they are heavy cars and folks fit the alloys to LWB sprinters.
What do you think?

Rob... The only LT on 18" wheels.
 Post Reply Post Reply