The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

15" Transit Rims

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uberhare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 15" Transit Rims
    Posted: 11 May 19 at 23:27
I have a set of 15" Transit rims to install on our LT31 Florida.  Purchased them 7 years ago, but never needed tires until now.  These are the early style that need to have the taper drilled.  

Anyone here running these long term?  Any issues?  I know the Transit wheel is not as thick around the bolt holes.  My concern is if there is enough material to add the taper without cracking the wheel longterm.  I've read some old threads, but the images are long gone.  

I'll be purchasing tapered nuts and bolts as well to replace the originals.

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 19 at 01:10
Personally I'm against fitting any non standard wheels, you should let your insurance company know in advance. Had a wheel collapse on a trailer once because the load was too heavy.
If a wheel collapses at motorway speeds, pretty sure the poilce and insurance company's would not be happy. Let alone you and your family.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Uberhare View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uberhare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 19 at 01:15
Not much choice here.  Can't get the 14" tires with the proper load rating, and the 15"s will be a significant improvement.  No regulations in Canada on swapping rims either.
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 19 at 01:59
Hope it's safe then mate, suspect it may well affect the speeds.
Not sure if lower profile tyres have a high enough rating.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Buss Marius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buss Marius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 19 at 14:38
Originally posted by AndyT AndyT wrote:

Personally I'm against fitting any non standard wheels, you should let your insurance company know in advance. Had a wheel collapse on a trailer once because the load was too heavy.
If a wheel collapses at motorway speeds, pretty sure the poilce and insurance company's would not be happy. Let alone you and your family.
A Transit is a comercial veicle With loads of up to what we have on the LT's. Weight wise they should have no problem With the weights of a LT35E. I have 15' Alu rims from a Transit(Mega Wheels ferrera 5), on my LT and the rim is load rated to 1175kg so no problem on a LT 35E With 2300kg rear axle. I bought 10 bolts and 10 nuts al tappered to fit them
87 Karmann LT L 2,4D. 89 T3 Syncro Reimo 1,9TD. 2000 T4 Caravelle TDI
 Post Reply Post Reply