The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2.3 20valve 5 pot.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2.3 20valve 5 pot.
    Posted: 08 Oct 09 at 23:28

audi 20v 5 pot (7 a code i believe )

is this engine anygood in a T3 and are they ok to run on gas. just toying with stuff atm but would appreciate anyones opinions, not run a gas vehicle before so i`m tilting toward diesel but dont want to discount petrol and gas just because i`m not familier with them.
will be in a daily driver syncro doka and used weekends for some offroading.

cheers lee.
T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3ADICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 09 at 00:01
the big problem with the 20v non turbo is they are like a 16v golf engine ... they love to rev...
you would probably be better with a 2.2 10v  
they are more like the 8v golf engines.. they pull well from lower revs.

WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
..lee.. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 09 at 21:07
cheers chris, a rever is defo not what i`m after and i know exactly what you mean about golfs only ever drove one 16 valver that could match my old 8 valver.

lee.
Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 09 at 10:58
They're not too bad re-revvy engine, because they are a big lump to start with, you've got some torque from idle but it does go nuts above 4K
MG
..lee.. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 09 at 00:08
well if i can get what i need for sensible money then i`ll go for it.got engine, adapter and stuff but need the ecu and wiring loom ect. how much do you think that will set me back.
if indeed i can find the stuff in the first place.
T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3ADICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 09 at 00:30
thought you said they were a bit rev monster mike?
i know of a nice one i could put in the crew cab if they are any good.. or should i stick with the 2.8 v6?

WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
..lee.. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 09 at 20:33
deffo stick with the v6.............

and sell the ecu and loom to me cheapLOL.
Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 09 at 18:11
They are a rev monster but being a 2.3 engine, they still have more torque than a 2.1 at lower rpms..
MG
trailertrash View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trailertrash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 09 at 13:31
i put a 2.2 10v on my panel van, smooth effortless power but got rid of it, hated what it did to the balance of the van, felt like twenty bags of cement sat right at the back, front of the van lifted a little too
..lee.. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 09 at 13:45
i suppose a big weight hike from a boxer.
Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 09 at 14:18
Originally posted by trailertrash trailertrash wrote:

i put a 2.2 10v on my panel van, smooth effortless power but got rid of it, hated what it did to the balance of the van, felt like twenty bags of cement sat right at the back, front of the van lifted a little too

I must admit, the front of the Harlequin (Doka) Syncro did go up when the 2.5TDi was in the back but having a little more weight on the rear wheels of a Syncro isn't a bad idea. I found it helps with the offroading... as you can see from the photos on the Limey post, it doesn't have a problem getting the front wheels in the air!

When I removed the 2.5TDi from the Harlequin, I weighed it in at 175kg without any extra bits attached. The stock 1.9DG with everything (exhaust, water system, ready to bolt in) weighed 130KG.

MG
Rob M View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 09 at 15:54
Try this company for Audi Vw bits on ebay, been pretty helpfull with my V6.....

vaudirecyclingsolutions

Post Reply Post Reply