The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2.5 TDi wiring

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one day Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2.5 TDi wiring
    Posted: 05 Jun 14 at 12:43
Hi, just putting a 2.5 TDi into my T4 and am wondering what this is for?

one day View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one day Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 14 at 12:45
syncroandy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syncroandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 14 at 20:48
Interesting, I've never seen one but I'm guessing its a Canbus connector, judging by the twisted orange wires ?

Can you let me know the part number as I may have an application for that sooner or later.

Edit: Is that an AUF engine (2.5tdi 99>) ? The wiring diagrams show an item ref 'TV16' Terminal for data bus, no5 on relay plate. It serves as a connection-point in the structured CE2 way of doing electrics, between ECU (J248), Immo (J362), and dash panel Canbus interface (J533). Cool ! Later vehicles have all this stuff hidden away in wire splices inside monster harnesses. CE2 is much more hackable, which is good !

Edited by syncroandy - 06 Jun 14 at 21:20
'90 252 EJ25
'90 246 AFN

Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.
one day View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one day Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 14 at 22:49
Hi, 

the donor vehicle is an early ACV 102 BHP caravelle, part number on the plastic plug thing is 7D0 971 324 HMM1
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syncroandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 14 at 08:17
Cheers. That's interesting as the manual shows Canbus came in on the 2.5 (inc. ACV - my mistake) from May 99 with the switch from the 68 to 121-pin ECU.
I suspect the pins on that junction are simply to allow it to be secured to the relay plate, they're not electrically connected ?
'90 252 EJ25
'90 246 AFN

Syncrosport
one day View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one day Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 14 at 14:46
Sorry my mistake it is a 2000 van on a V plate,

What would the wires do then as we can't get hold of a wiring diagram
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syncroandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 14 at 17:07
Well that's a very good question, as the older-style W-line and K-line connections are still shown in the wiring diagram. The ECU is connected to the Immo via the W-line (as well as Canbus), the engine won't run if it can't contact the Immo . The K-line connects the Immo, dash panel and ODB port, and is used for diagnostics.

It's entirely possible that on your engine, the Canbus was used only for the optional ESP system, and otherwise is just there for 'forwards-compatibility' as it were.

If the engine starts and runs with the Canbus disconnected then clearly its still using the W-line to talk to the Immo box.

Edit: after you've matched the new ECU to the Immo (duh).. you could have some fun with that as your new ECU may be Immo3 and your van is probably Immo2.. but you probably knew that.

Edited by syncroandy - 07 Jun 14 at 19:54
'90 252 EJ25
'90 246 AFN

Syncrosport
one day View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one day Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 14 at 21:37
Thanks for the info, the engine runs for about a second and then cuts off :(

Would you have a wiring diagram I could view by any chance ?
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syncroandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 14 at 07:47
Sure, but it's quite possibly not a wiring issue at all, have you followed the procedure to match your new ECU to your van's immo ?

Edited by syncroandy - 09 Jun 14 at 07:48
'90 252 EJ25
'90 246 AFN

Syncrosport
one day View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one day Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 14 at 09:11
The complete wiring loom was transferred over with the engine so ECU and immobiliser should still be matched, a friend has the vagcom system on a laptop and it can't get into the engine part to read any fault codes etc , he can access all other parts of the van system
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syncroandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 14 at 11:51
Ah right, if you have a local expert I'll butt out. It'd be good to hear the outcome though.

Diagram for ACV etc May 99> here.
'90 252 EJ25
'90 246 AFN

Syncrosport
one day View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one day Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 14 at 12:16
He's no expert just has the vagcom ! Lol
one day View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one day Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 14 at 12:17
Cheers for the diagram
one day View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one day Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 14 at 23:37
after taking the fuse box to bits again, we have found a couple of issues

firstly a wire has come out of the fusebox side of the loom somewhere, it's a thing green/grey wire as can be seen in the pic

secondly there is another wire missing from the KLK bit of the fuse box, there are  2 present, there is a 3rd but the wire has been cut  once again can be seen in the pic

one day View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one day Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 14 at 23:38
 Post Reply Post Reply