The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'89 LT28 MOT failure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '89 LT28 MOT failure
    Posted: 30 May 12 at 15:50
I was not expecting a list of 17 items needing attention. YikesShocked

Garage man said that it was in quite good nick and he was expecting it to be worse, so that's alright then. He also raised his eyebrows at the fact that he believed that some things had not been picked up on the last MOT, since it had been used so little.

Major things are both rear drums have oil contamination, both front wheel bearings have slight play, and various bits of minor damage on the flexis.

'Drivers' seat not moving as it should' WRONG, pulling the bar instead of pushing it down. 

Well, I am now going to hit the net for parts and spend another few days getting dirty rather than playing in the sun.

1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 12 at 12:59
Definitely not under an LT28 today, it is peeing down. I did manage to get the OSR drum off last night to check the damage. That was easy...no securing screw!

Cannot get a picture up but you get the idea, gooey.

Sorry if you have already read this.

Cannot even get on with research since I now have a burst pipe in the kitchen.

?Is it just me?
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 12 at 15:17
Brake parts should be easy enough to find, gsf etc would be my first point of call.
If you have problems finding the flexy hoses, measure up and contact brakes international, they were able to supply a discontinued hose for my old bus for about £8.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 12 at 15:28
I have loads of hits for brake parts etc, TPS is a short bus ride away.

?Have you needed to replace the oilseal on the half-shaft end before? 

The other thing I noticed last night was that the back plate feels very flimsy. Trying to pull out the handbrake cable was moving the plate in a very unsatisfactory manner. I stopped before I broke something.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 12 at 15:53
Haven't done a seal but a back plate if you can find one is going to cost about £80 from VW.
You might be able to weld it but don't take any chances, if in doubt replace it.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 12 at 12:36
After waiting and waiting I have just discovered that one back plate is obsolete and the other is on back order. Probably, according to the garage man Paul, it too will come back as obsolete. 

Seals and so on are still available for the present but the shrink ring is also alongside the dodo.

?Short of cutting through the shrink ring, does anyone have any ideas on getting them off?

I cannot get enough heat into it, fast enough, for it to drop off.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 12 at 14:36
Looks a twat of a job unless you have a press and a means of getting the new ring cherry hot (250-280c) before re-fitting. Big hammer and cold chisel to loosen the old one and then a puller and a home made plate to remove it and the bearing.
I'd either find another half shaft with a reasonable bearing or leave it to the engineers, shouldn't take long with the right tools.

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 12 at 12:57
Slowly getting there.

?Can any one tell me if the shrink collars are of a special steel?

Since they are obsolete I am having trouble getting a suitable answer to my dilemma.

I can get them fitted, IF I can get replacements.

Too good to give up on but I have missed a couple of Littl'uns competitions due to these seals needing replacing, and we have missed a couple of lovely days too.

HELP!!Cry

VW LT Camper not Cramper

mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 12 at 13:23
I would think that it won't be any special steel, as the lack of control on heating it would tend to destroy any mechanical properties that an alloy steel would possess. Andy, are you meaning heat until it glows red? Steel starts glowing round about 600°C, although if dark you might be able to pick up a faint glow around 550°C.
I used to be able to judge temperatures fairly accurately from the colour (my background is in metallurgy) but out of practice now!
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 12 at 13:32
Good old Haynes says 250-280C (482-536F) 

I have just opened the bearings I got last week and found a bearing, a large ORing, a small ORing and a steel collar. Typical, 'Bearing' does not mean' and other bits and pieces that we won't tell you about, so you can waste time and money'

?Or is it just me?

Anyway, I am off to check the size of the collar, since once again VAGCAT is down.

?Does anyone else have to create the same account every time they visit?

?Or is it just me?

Be back soon, I hope.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 12 at 15:24
It seems that the Bearing Kit includes a new shrink collar. The bearings' internal diameter is 44.95mm and the collar is 44.75mm.

The small ORing is also 45dia internal, and the seal fits the inner race of the bearing.

The large ORing fits the end of the axle but does not have the extra section, the use of which I know not, yet.

The part number of my kit is 'QWB1192' equivalent to  BK1192.

Feeling much more positive about this little project now.

I cannot get on immediately but I will get a proper look tomorrow.

After all, as Michelle has been telling me all day "You're getting on now'

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 12 at 18:07
At last I have  managed to get somewhere wit the half-shaft seals, but not without incident.

I had ordered shoes (?How was I to know you get four in a box and not two?), bearing(kit), springs for aforementioned shoes from a supplier, W***part. It took almost ten days to get everything.

I had also ordered duplicates, where available, from VW. The branch I phoned neglected to inform me that I had been transferred to another. So a lovely chasing of wild geese via buses, the public transport kind, ensued yesterday. Four and a half hours wasted due to lack of information. Nice day out with Abi though.

I have had OS shaft in the house for ages but without bits, and a dildo which turned into a nightmare, I have just this afternoon started the job.

Firstly, the supplied bearings are one piece, same code 331761DD rather than, BB separate outer race.

Everything I have read or watched starts with the destruction of the collar and bearing. Bad design, when a cheap seal allows differential oil into the rear brakes when it packs in. A lot of grief for a couple of quid. I cannot tell if this job has been done before so cannot comment on longevity of the seal.

I set to work drilling the collar, centre drill, 3.5dia and then 5dia. A couple of blows with the cold chisel popped it open. It took a little levering to get it clear since it was still tight enough to resist finger pressure.

I tried to push the inner race and rollers off the shaft by using the seal carrier, in the absence of a thick enough chunk of metal. Failed. It felt more than the carrier could take, so I dismantled the cage and removed the rollers. Shame since if it was possible to save the bearing, I would have for something, somewhere.

The inner bearing was cut along the axis of the shaft as far as was practical, and then at an angle across the lower section. A couple of cold chisel attacks saw it fracture and slide off.

The small ORing sits beneath the inner race and on the spacer, which seems permanently fixed too.

I have decided to zap the crap off using electrolysis. One for the Ladies. It is remarkably effective. the crud on the surface after only a few minutes is substantial.

So far so good. Once one side is done I will do the other. Mandrels and long drifts to make yet though.

I wish I was clever enough to understand this though, I would do it at the week end. It would make heating those collars up a doddle.

Edited by LTCamper89 - 03 Feb 14 at 16:42

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 12 at 18:17
OOOH OOOH OOOH nearly forgot, my welder came yesterday. Plenty for it to do, and just as well, it has been my biggest outlay for a long time. I Promise to put some pictures in Ur Van......when it stops raining again.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 12 at 18:33
This morning I made up two mandrels, one for heating the bearing inner race and one to push the seal into place

After the success of the small progress on the OS half-shaft I took out the NS this afternoon. The shoes and springs seemed a lot fresher than the OS set. Still replacing them though. 

My big bugbear is the handbrake cables are corroded into the housing on the back plates, I suspect no grease on assembly, so I have two backplates each with five feet of cable attached. It will be tomorrows job to get them both bathed, in the hope of freeing the cable outers.

Edited by LTCamper89 - 09 Oct 13 at 20:42

VW LT Camper not Cramper

readie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote readie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 12 at 21:35
HI there, andy here with an '88 lt35 - just seen your pics..what a hassle! was that just because of the shrink ring..was it damaged? I just replaced rear brake assembly with back plates, cylinders, shoes, the lot..just doing the handbrake now for the MOT next thurs. managed to get the rods from VW not that expensive - the prob i have is the intermediate lever and housing that's welded to chassis (that it lever rocks on) - and then i found a load of rust underneath air filter behind drivers seat..big hole now! goes on and on, and it's wet..v wet!
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 12 at 23:27
Hi Readie,

Not even the collar, just  the seal. Crap design, or may just be cost effective. 

More instalments to follow.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

readie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote readie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 12 at 07:59
which seal exactly? I have just taken both of my half shafts out to replace the flimsy rusty back plates and had to go carefully when it came to the seal, but i think it was a diff seal (oil/rubber seal that butts behind back plate), no where near the collar. Was it a cracked seal that allowed diff oil to get into the brakes..was that where the prob started?
1988 LT35 140K 2.4dt
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 12 at 08:30
Yep that's the one, but the only way to replace it is by removing the difficult and more expensive bits further inboard. A pig.

I am doing a couple of heating experiments today. If I can get the bearing inner race to 100* then I will be happy to get those on. On top of the handbrake cables the heating of the collar is the biggest worry. I may need professional help for that. We will see.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

readie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote readie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 12 at 11:44
well i have just bought all the cables and rods in the last 2 months..either from vw or the local car parts place - not always straightforward as there are times when 2 alternative parts come up and then exact measurements are required! give me a call if you need to know more info Andy 07780 99 1330  
HOw is your intermediate lever and welded assembly underneath (where the handbrake lever rod comes down to) have had to renew mine..it's like gold dust having a welder/fabricator as a mate!!   
1988 LT35 140K 2.4dt
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 12 at 12:46
Lunchtime update, and a bit of Tour watching, and MotoGP.

Heating experiments were unsuccessful, so I will be looking for a man with some gear, urgently. It is finding someone who is not going to use brute force.

Got the NS half-shaft apart, to find that the seal has not been seated properly, 4mm clearance in the carrier. Probably not serious but it does show that the NS has been done before. Photo will follow.

Damned autofocus, beautiful shot of the gunky mess, not the gap at the back.

Readie: Apart from the cables being corroded into the back plates, which I am now thinking about leaving as is due to time, all is well with it.

Edited by LTCamper89 - 09 Oct 13 at 20:48

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>