The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'89 LT28 MOT failure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 12 at 13:12
Bit the bullet and took my sparkly half-shafts to http://home.btconnect.com/centreville/html/home.html#homeanchor to get bearings and collars on. I have travelled past them for nearly thirty years. Seem to know what they are up to with french filth DS, and more recently German makes too.

I will get them back tomorrow, so today I can get on with the brakes.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 12 at 12:40
Yesterday, nothing done, no brakes since you need the half-shaft seal carrier for the shoe springs. I did get the half-shafts back, and a nice job it looks. I gave the temperatures required and the collars had obviously been well heated.

Today it is raining again, but no time to waste. One and a half sides done.

Too wet, so a cuppa, and all done. You may remember that there was no drum fixing screw on the OS, well the NS head had snapped off and there was a threaded shaft in the hole. Drilled out and retapped both.

Time to start on the handbrake setting at the rear, and refilling with brake fluid.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 12 at 14:51
Guess what, that did not go according to plan.

Drums are now set as best as I can figure. Since the shoes are new and have not been used properly, I find they are rubbing too much to be free, but not close enough for an effective handbrake. Anyway, the little splitter on the rear axle casing would not let go of the brake lines, so another couple of hours on something I was not expecting.

I now need to do the front flexis, or more likely the whole of the front system, the way this is heading.

Coventry at the weekend is looking less likely, shame.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 12 at 16:53
Another unexpected event putting the kybosh on the weekend.

After heating the grease caps on the front and adjusting OS bearing, the NS when tightened so the wheel does not rotate, there is still rocking and knocking, when gripping at 12 and 6.

I suppose it must be something attached to the stub axle carrier. 

My first four wheeler with work to do, so all help appreciated.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 12 at 20:16
Get someone else to rock the wheel whilst you look behind.
Could be a ball joint/suspension joint.
Hopefully something obvious and cheap to fix.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 12 at 22:12
AndyT, Checked where and how the knock was happening. Only when pulling at 6, so discerned that it appears to be the ?upper swivel joint"? Top of the stub axle casting.

?Is it worth doing upper and lower at the same time?

Haynes does not specify any special tools, but any suggestions, if it is not as described.

Nearly there......again.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 12 at 00:16
Haven't done the job mate but it looks straight forward.
I'd definitely do both unless the bottom looks new, and I'd check the other side as well.
Same mileage, same wear!!.

Chances are GSF etc will stock em and probably not too expensive.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 12 at 00:22
Thanks AndyT, my thoughts exactly, in for a penny in for a pound.

I am trying to get to a good baseline on this, but it keeps moving.Angry

VW LT Camper not Cramper

psion View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 12 at 08:50
If you need any cables, I have some used and some new.

Good luck
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 12 at 09:59
I'd say doing both depends on the cause of failure - if it's from wear or dirt ingress from perished boots then yes, but if from damage to the boot then it doesn't mean the other one is in the same state.

There seems to be a few poor quality ball joints out there - One was replaced on mine just before I bought it in 2006 which failed the MOT after 3 years/20k miles. I replaced it with one from ECP and just MOT'd it again and got an advisory on the same ball joint. This one has only lasted 15k miles so by replacing OK parts you might be taking off something that had more life in it than the replacement!.

I've seen OE ones on eBay for about £40 which is twice the price but may be worth it if you're planning to keep the van. Splitting the joint was tricky as it was too big for both my ball joint splitters, so I had to improvise with a home made tool which fitted between the top and bottom BJs. I put an extra nut on the bottom BJ, and as I loosened that it pressed against the upper BJ and forced it out. Obviously no use if you're doing both!
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 12 at 15:38
Matt, Just got back in after collecting the ball joints, four for 56 quid via GSF + 3.70 bus fare.

I am not going to get a chance to look now, rain is imminent, but will tomorrow. 

I understand your reasoning, and unfortunate experience. I am certainly going to do both NS, but am going to have a proper look at the OS pair first. MOT man said it was play in the wheel bearings on both sides, but that proved not to be the case for the NS.

I too will have to improvise, but having a lathe can be a real help.

I will be able to play with my new jacks too, a three ton trolley and a 48" farm jack, which will be fixed in the rear of the van  for roadside tyre removal. When I bougt it the vendor delivered it, but got a puncture, so collected me with a small scissor jack and some sockets etc. When we got back my jack was not tall enough, and there was not one in the van. Relying on the AA, not me thank you.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

volition82 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 12 at 11:41
I've been following this with interest because i'm fairly sure my rear nearside needs doing.  It's getting hot and the wheel cyclinder is new so it can't really be anything else.  I looked in the haynes manual, I saw how difficult the job was and tried to forget about it LOL

Can I ask how much you paid for the wheel bearings and where you got them because my local motor factors says they are £78 + vat each side.  Seems a bit steep to me.
1989 LT35 - 2.4 Lpg/Petrol - Converted To Camper
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 12 at 12:03
Afternoon Volition82,

Centreville charged me 54 to fit the bearings and collars, total for both sides.

I have just done the removal of the front NS lower to discover I have been given the wrong bits. So that is me scuppered for the minute.I have just done the removal of the front NS lower to discover I have been given the wrong bits. 

http://s1154.photobucket.com/albums/p534/Chris-R-Batey/1989%20LT28%20Lower%20ball%20Joint/

Photobucket seem intent on not allowing the edited image to be linked.

I have just done the removal of the front NS lower to discover I have been given the wrong bits. So that is me scuppered for the minute. Waiting now for call about when I can have the correct parts, and whether they will deliver them!!

Every single thing is a bliddy nightmare.

Edited by LTCamper89 - 17 Jul 12 at 12:19

VW LT Camper not Cramper

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 12 at 14:19
We've all been there I think, pain in the wotsit.
Sometimes happens even if you quote part numbers from the item.
Still you are over half way there, just think of the dosh you are saving as opposed to paying a garage.

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 12 at 15:40
Originally posted by AndyT AndyT wrote:

We've all been there I think, pain in the wotsit.
Sometimes happens even if you quote part numbers from the item.
Still you are over half way there, just think of the dosh you are saving as opposed to paying a garage.

That, AndyT is the good bit, but a day of good fettling weather is irreplaceable.

Back on the phone since they have not called yet.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 12 at 16:44
Know what you mean but at least it's a job that can be done in crap weather. I need several dry days in a row to do the bodywork on my old bus.

Don't know if it's of any interest but I bought some waterproof overalls from machine mart, cost about £40 but are absolutely ace. Only complaint is that they can be too warm.
On warm days I wear ex-Mod gortex stuff, had it for 20+ years and it still keeps me dry.

One of my pet hates is bods who don't call you back so my sympathies there, hope you get it sorted.

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 12 at 17:12
After me calling, they are hoping to deliver tonight, the boss lives a few minutes from me. Here's hoping.

There is a place around the corner which took four hours to ring back, at which point I had already ordered the bits. Right or wrong decision, we will never know.

I do hate working in the rain. Trying to keep metal things dry whilst handling them. Do if I have to though, just like everyone else.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 12 at 19:15
Nice man from GSF delivered the correct LBJs, took another 15 quid. Apologised profusely, but the main thing is that they sorted out their mistake as quickly as they could.

Ordered some bleed nipples from BiggRed yesterday, got half an order this morning. They were going to make me wait an extra day, because "I had missed the post". Stuff that says I. The bleed nipples are going to be here tomorrow.

?Is it just me?

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 12 at 12:58
IT IS ME!!

The second part of my order from BiggRed turned up while under an LT28. NO DUST CAPS!!

I got onto the phone to them and I am getting them tomorrow, I suppose. I mentioned that each one had to be run through a die to get a fit in the calliper. This post http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/caliper-bleed-nipples-size_topic73837.html?KW=bleed+nipple has the same trouble, but BiggRed new nothing of it. 

If something needs machining the supplier needs to know. Most of us will have the relevant tools/facilities, but not everyone has. It could have been another unnecessary ball-ache.

Nearly done again, photos and description will follow later.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 12 at 16:41
Apart from the aforementioned trials and tribulations that all went quite well. I have ended up replacing more brake lines than I really wanted to, but ?who uses steel lines these days?

Not surprising that I had to drill the LBJ nut off. The flats which are there to help tighten the nut are worse than useless when it comes to getting it undone. The replacements are likely to be worse, hexagon socket in the top. The replacement bolts for 45s were 65s with only 25 thread. No good whatsoever, with 3-4mm of shank showing through to prevent the nut gaining any purchase on the lower suspension arm. Rang GSF to thank them for yesterday, and to inform them of the error.

http://s1154.photobucket.com/albums/p534/Chris-R-Batey/1989%20LT28%20Lower%20ball%20Joint/

Everything is back together now so I will be starting the 'bleeding' this evening, taking advantage of the sunshine.Big smile

The next job is the welding of a patch for this....NSF Wheelarch........

The wire hanging down is for the fog light, and the lighter coloured area visible through the chasm is the underside of the battery isolator, and to its' left, the frame of the passenger seat. The wire was already there when I got it, and the previous owner did not even know IF there was a jack, so I think it is unlikely to be his work. Since it had an MOT when he got it,?Where does that leave us? Me fixing it, that's where.

Off to practise welding now

Edited by LTCamper89 - 09 Oct 13 at 20:53

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>