The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'89 LT28 MOT failure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 12 at 20:06
That repair is going to get bigger for sure, at least there's a chance it will stay simple.
Don't know what VW changed with the underbody protection but older models seem better protected. All the rust I've found on my old bus has been around the wheel arches etc.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 12 at 20:23
Pulled the seat out and took off the isolator, and began peeling the underseal, white. I have cut away about 8"x2" but I have also just run out of gas, so I may be arcing the repair. Oh joy. 

Brakes in the dry in the morning.

It is raining again, so cardboard engineering will have to wait. I will just hone my welding 'skills' with the washing machine carcass I salvaged. 
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 12 at 09:41
I think the trouble with recent (as in 90s onwards) underbody protection is that it is almost too good. In the old days the coating would start to flake away where rust was present underneath (often after just a few years!), letting you see the rust to take action but also letting it dry out from time to time. Now the coating lasts much longer but when it does eventually let water in, it stays flexible and rust can travel a long way underneath it, never drying out. Until you get a big surprise.

Nice BJ separator - want to hire it out?!
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 12 at 11:36
Thanks Mat, it did cross my mind. Hire is not really fair, yes I made it with my materials and time but I would prefer a trusting lend with a damage/loss waiver. Grief, that sounded almost legal. I can see a lot of things which I may make, front hub grease cap removal tool is just one more that comes to mind. I only needed it twice, but I was immediately thinking about next time.

?If anyone out there would like to borrow it, I have no problem with that at all?

There was a chap who hired out Guzzi tools in Durham. ?Anyone like that for VW tools?

A club type hire scheme would be really nice for those who have a van, cannot afford the garage bills really, and have no other access to the bits that cannot be bodged safely.

Been doing the brakes for two and a half hours now and no further forward. Sick. Lots of clean fluid, just a wet rag at the pedal.

Ordered gas and getting it tomorrow, sometime. May not make the MOT and Yeovil for Saturday after all. Double sick.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

volition82 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 12 at 11:52
I replaced all my brakes just recently, I think they are a bit of a pain to bleed to be honest.  I did it the usual way of the furthest away and working forward but after the first go it still had a fairly soft pedal.  I put constant pressure on the pedal with the resevior cap off and left it overnight, the idea being that any air bubbles work there way up to the top.  It's an old motorbike trick, not sure how effective it is on cars/vans but it was worth ago.  This made the pedal a lot firmer but over time it has gone a bit soft so I re-bleed them last weekend.  This has made the pedal a lot firmer but they still aren't right, the o/s front caliper still has air in it, i'll have another go this weekend.

My brother used to work in a garage and he said some cars can be a complete b*****d to bleed and thats with the right equipment.  Rather than the old down, up method with an unwilling helperLOL
1989 LT35 - 2.4 Lpg/Petrol - Converted To Camper
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 12 at 13:10
I have considered creating a vacuum over the m/c cap. I used this technique to clear air bubbles from Tensol70, a two part acrylic adhesive. Not quite sure how to do it at the minute, but the brains a tickin'.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 12 at 16:00
Is it worth trying to purchase an Easy Bleed system which uses (reduced) tyre pressure to pressurise the brake fluid reservoir? I've misplaced mine so I didn't use it for the LT a few weeks ago when I replaced a front to rear line, but it makes the job so much easier and possible with just one person. (Although the easiest brakes to do solo, as you probably know, are those on a 'proper' Citroën using LHM where you just wedge a piece of wood between the steering wheel and the brake pedal, and then crack open each nipple in turn!)

EDIT - Yes! I've beaten the word filter which replaces Citroën (when you spell it with an e anstead of ë) with French filth.

Edited by mat_the_cat - 19 Jul 12 at 16:02
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 12 at 18:08
I have an EasyBleed, but I have just noticed that the first thing you do is introduce air into the reservoir.

Another two hours dodging backwards and forwards 'Under an LT" to no avail. No leaks so it is beginning to seem pointless.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 12 at 12:08
Another two hours trying to bleed the bleeding brakes. I almost managed to get the reservoir and tube clear of air before I started. Got better, then ended up worse again. Starting to run low on fluid again too now.

Good news, gas is now here, so will have a break from brakes, and see if I can get some welding practise in.

Nearly there again, but thank you to everyone who has contributed so far.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 12 at 12:23
Every time I look at this thread I read it hoping to hear good news! Fingers crossed for next time I check in...

That beer will taste so good once you have a new MOT in your hands.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 12 at 12:43
The only good news is gas and 6Music at the moment Mat.

I am certainlyt not waiting for good news to have a beer.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 12 at 13:20
Ok, back to basics. Having a break from welding my T3 so got a few mins.

From what I've read you have had all the brakes apart and the rears are not seating right, or were not earlier.
First check for bubbles in the master cylinder, if it's been dry it can happen.

Clamp off the rears at the flexi hose, and bleed the fronts. This should bleed the master cylinder.
If fluid coming out is clear, chuck it back in for the time being, can't be worse than the old stuff.
Do you get a decent pedal.

If so unclamp the rears, what is the pedal like now.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 12 at 13:38
Thanks for giving me a few minutes AndyT.

When you say 'clamp off at the flexi' I assume you mean the one between the load regulator and the rear axle.

Two bits of rod and two bolts to nip them together.

The fronts have been consistently clear.

If I could reuse the 'old' fluid I would, but I seem to be dropping/knocking over the jar at an alarming rate. Most of it has ended up on the drive.

Regarding the rears, I had to free off the automatic adjusters and when I refitted them I could not get the situation where the wheel turned and a little further started biting, and a little further held properly. I was putting this down to new shoes being a bit sharp on the uptake.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 12 at 14:10
Yup, the rest is solid pipe along the axle. You can use anything that works if you don't have the tool, just make sure it isn't sharp. Have used mole grips with padded jaws for example.
Since you haven't dismantled the pads etc at the front, nothing should have changed.
As you probably know there are 2 circuits, just trying to find out which one is the problem although I suspect the rear cos it's all new.

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 12 at 15:53
Just made a clamp.

I have had to replace the solid pipes on the rear axle, and the front ones from the union due to corrosion. The main ones running the length are copper.

Tried a bit of welding too now I have gas, ooer.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 12 at 18:15
Sorry mate, been busy fabricating and welding. Finished for today need munchies.

Pipes hold sod all fluid, it's the calipers and wheel cylinders so I don't think it's a pipe issue.
Anyway stick yer clamp on and bleed the front, try and save the fluid Embarrassed.
You won't get a perfect pedal cos of the air in the rear pipes but it should be half decent, and consistent. Hold the pedal down hard for 30secs, and if it don't move front is ok.

If the rear brake balance valve has a nipple bleed that.

Rears - Wind the shoes in as far as they go, to give the pistons something to push against.
Get a helper to pump the pedal 6 times and hold hard, crack the nipple. Repeat several times.
Same for the other side.

Wind shoes out, check brake pedal. You'll need to pump to push pistons out first.

If that don't work I can't think of anything else long distance.

Good luck!! (With your welding too)

Andy

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 12 at 19:05
Job for tomorrow I think. Thanks again.

Welding HA!

VW LT Camper not Cramper

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 12 at 19:45
Oi!!, wots wrong with our welding topic!!Wink.
Nowt wrong with the link though, I get most of my stuff from there.

Halfrauds sell tips at a good price (packs of 5) if you have one local, cheaper than postage for small orders.
Think you might have to increase your gas flow (5% Argon), for 0.6mm mine is set at 8 cuft, not litres. Will let you do the maths. Basic formula is wire diameter * 10 + 2.

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 12 at 20:26
Thanks again AndyT, I had not considered them. Just had a look at their site. A bit of a pedal away because naturally it is in a Retail Park with difficult public transport connections.

Once I get some welding done, I may just post something there too.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 12 at 17:44
AndyT, the front was fine, rock hard. The rear is still the same. I did hear a little hiss from the master cylinder when pumping the pedal quickly. Everything you have said worked, or at least seemed to. The rear pistons are all free and moving, I could feel them when Littl'un was pumping the brakes. 

Since clamping the flexi at the back gave a solid pedal, this would indicate that the problem is between the left and right wheel cylinders. I took off the drums to make sure there were no leaks in either one, and to make sure the pistons were free.

Lost.

I have given up today, most disheartening. 

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>