The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AFN rebuild/rape for parts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AFN rebuild/rape for parts
    Posted: 22 Oct 12 at 21:02
As there is a bit of love floating around this forum at the moment, i thought maybe a good time to start a thread....

Picked up this AFN  for £150 pretty much complete bar the MAF. My first thought for it was to break it all up and stick it in the garage for spares. Seeing it in daylight though has been a surprise, its in pretty good nick (previous owner swore 50 tho on the clock, don't quite believe that..)
Turns out its got the oil seperator ive been looking for
a much better looking turbo than whats on mine
and the correct fuel filter bracket, so i can mount it back on the engine instead of in the T3 location. This will mean i can move the overflow coolant tank up to the old filter location, then run better routed air ducting, and will also allow me to use passat fuel filter head and short pipes to the inj pump which look like this
 It also has lots of little brackets that hold the loom onto the engine, to get it all tidy like.
Toying with the idea of converting to the passat coolant layout, much neater looking, just need top and bottom rad hoses and coolant tank.

Anyway plan is to swap bits over between engines, rebuild the VNT (decoke the vanes) rebuild the head, swap the auto flywheel for a standard one and end up with 2 good engines and hopefully learnt new skills on rebuilding stuff.
 There will be plenty of stupid questions on the way as ive never stripped an engine, or turbo or even taken a flywheel off.
just need to sort a engine stand out.
 should be funLOL

Edited by lloydy - 22 Oct 12 at 21:06
16" syncro multivan
fufflenarnia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 12 at 21:17
I've got an engine stand stuck in my in laws garage, in Redhill. You can make me an offer if you want to buy one, it's a Clarke one from Machine Mart.
lloydy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 12 at 21:28
is it the 750A or 500A?
Would like the 750 due to being a bit more stable. i'm not to far from you (cheam)
16" syncro multivan
fufflenarnia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 12 at 21:37
I've had it for years, but it looks just like the 750 as luck would have it, I've even got the tray somewhere.

I'll go and dig it out and send you a picture in the next few days.
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 12 at 21:38
lloydy

pic of the waterpump/alternator/powersteering/crank  belt shizzle please..

need to find a solution to belt woes on the 20VT
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
lloydy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 12 at 21:40
Originally posted by fufflenarnia fufflenarnia wrote:

I've had it for years, but it looks just like the 750 as luck would have it, I've even got the tray somewhere.

I'll go and dig it out and send you a picture in the next few days.

sounds good! almost a done deal thenSmile
16" syncro multivan
lloydy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 12 at 21:43
Originally posted by mrhutch mrhutch wrote:

lloydy

pic of the waterpump/alternator/powersteering/crank  belt shizzle please..

need to find a solution to belt woes on the 20VT
will do, hopefully sort it for you tomorrow. 
16" syncro multivan
lloydy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 12 at 17:39
Hutch, any good?

Piccy of the two different breather set ups

and now fitted to the van

then fitted the little loom mount which sits on top of the coolant flange

then spent the next half hour trying to get the coolant flange to stop leakingAngry
16" syncro multivan
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 12 at 18:06
oooohh

may well be shagger..  got to look and compare against the 20V

thanks marra
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 12 at 18:25
Originally posted by mrhutch mrhutch wrote:

oooohh

may well be shagger..  got to look and compare against the 20V

thanks marra

Don't forget if you used diesel pulleys etc on a 20vt they will be further out due to the cam belt width being more....so would need fecking with..
lloydy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 12 at 18:28
Gotta admit, the more i look and muck around with the engine, the more it looks in better nick. Just tried to move the vanes in the vnt, totally free! no sticking at all. Think i might even swap turbo's over, the only shitter so far is a perfectly good looking N75 has one of the nipples broke
16" syncro multivan
dbug View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

I Luv Glynwoods I do!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 12 at 18:53
I guess that's the separator I need for my 1z - white kinder egg drops oil back down breather ?
lloydy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 12 at 19:30
Originally posted by dbug dbug wrote:

I guess that's the separator I need for my 1z - white kinder egg drops oil back down breather ?
yep that's it, you can still buy all the parts new, around 90 odd quid
16" syncro multivan
lloydy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 12 at 17:11

Im doing a pleasingly cheap job on the van and replacing all the vacuum/boost pipes (3mm-4mm not the big ones)
Diesel syncros also have the BIG vacuum pipe from the vacuum pump (which is syncro specific) its a cloth covered pipe. Does anyone know the internal I.D. of this hose, thinking I might as well replace it while I'm doing the others.
Cheers
Also, on looking at my vacuum hose runs, mine seems to be laid out a bit different? Can anyone shed any light on whether it will make any difference?
Bottom right of the picture below you can see the connector from the main servo with two small branches in it on mine one of each of those branches goes to to the N75 and N18. On the drawing you can see they both come off one of the branches, then split on a T piece, the line to the N75 has a check valve in it to separate it from the the N18. Mine does not have this check valve fitted. Should I fit one in line to the N75??? I have a check valve fitted on the main servo line AFTER the connector with the two branches.
So will this cause any issues? Would like to put it all back in correctly as I'm redoing it. If what I have written above is too confusing I can try and do a drawing when I trace all the hoses. Or does someone have a drawing on the vacuum hose layout for a T3 they wouldn't mind posting up?
I am also missing the vacuum reservoir, which I know isn't necessary, but is needed for vagcom vacuum tests. Maybe that's what the above missing check valve is for? Think ill refit the reservoir just to be able to test ithe system

[/QUOTE]

Edited by lloydy - 31 Oct 12 at 17:42
16" syncro multivan
lloydy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 12 at 21:26
Have managed to work it out by looking at my vac lines and the drawing above. Quite simple by the looks of it (famous last words ) so I've ordered some 3mm I'd silicone hose and some 4mm. Need to pick up the one way valve, or maybe I'll find it on the spare engine.
I've picked up and engine stand from fluffernia on here, just need to work out a way of getting the engine onto it.. Then I can start stripping it, then cleaning it up
16" syncro multivan
..lee.. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 12 at 21:32
Bolt the engine stand bracket to the engine the lift it all up and slide it in to the stand.
it`s a big round cage but there`s too many animals in it for my liking.to address this ring lee on 07977 765818.
lloydy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 12 at 21:41
Sounds a good plan Lee, just need to work out a way getting the engine off the floor
16" syncro multivan
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 12 at 21:53
Try grunting and muttering "ooh yer fucker yer" whilst lifting...if that doesn't work get your wife and mum involved...
lloydy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 12 at 22:06
Down south we just say fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck really quickly
16" syncro multivan
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 12 at 22:09
That might work....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>