The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AFN rebuild/rape for parts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 12 at 18:04
Here's the only pic I can find...not a lot to see but might give an idea..
lloydy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 12 at 18:50
Cheers for the pic, i'll be asking how to seat valves in a few weeks..., I'm debating what to do now. Since the turbo started pissing oil, its coming out of the section of boost pipe that has the MAP sensor pipe cut into it. Is this what people normally do? just cut the boost pipe either side of the MAP sensor? seems a weak spot to me.
What i was thinking of doing was getting one of those pd manifolds which instead of getting just a pipe to fit on, is to get this welded on http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/content.asp?inc=product&cat=0016&product=FMMAPT
which the MAP sensor can fit into, it will also mean the EGR comes off completely and tidies up that section of pipework.
 I wanted to muck around doing this stuff on the spare engine first, guess i'll just have to it to bothLOL

so if you see any pd manifolds going cheap, let me know

Edited by lloydy - 06 Nov 12 at 18:51
16" syncro multivan
lloydy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 12 at 20:27
being my usual impulsive self, i am now the owner of a pd manifold and that MAP pipe....
16" syncro multivan
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 12 at 20:33
Yes...both those are ideal...my map sensor is in the ecu as its an early 1Z...but that is looking like the way forward...I'm getting the urge to AFN my van now....might have to see what I can find in the scrap,yard.
lloydy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 12 at 21:08
its a lovely engine, lots of low down power. Seems like a new turbo is needed with a 50 degree install though as a lot of people are finding
16" syncro multivan
lloydy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 12 at 17:05
goodies, goodies goodies!
The PD manifold turned up
as did the MAP pipe
The plan is to either get them welded together like this
or tho fit a race pipe/egr delete to the manifold, which is made for for the job http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/darkside-1-9-8v-tdi-pd105-pd130-pd150-egr-delete-race-pipe-57mm.html
then fit the MAP pipe with a silicone joiner to the end of the chargecooler, then a 180 bend onto the above race pipe. Cost wise i reckon it will work out the same, what with paying someone to weld the two bits together. It's more what will fit in better, as space is a bit limited

got some stuff from brickwerks as well, shit plate
and the thing that made me laugh, spigot bearing
i thought it was about the size of a bake bean canLOL
16" syncro multivan
lloydy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 12 at 19:57
cleaning a manifold is not a nice job! Black gloop everywhere
but at least i can see the difference
before
after
brake cleaner and a toothbrush! might have to take it down the jet wash to reach right inside
16" syncro multivan
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 12 at 18:23
I used an allard egr delete pipe on my tdi, then a silicone 180... Not all silicone bends are as tight as the one I found from ASH so check before ordering, an alloy 180 could be welded on as well as the map socket as well maybe,

Best way so shift the egr crud is a hot pressure washer, then extra lethal acid alloy wheel cleaner...come up like new with a bit of work....just a pity everything else ends up black!

Edited by max and caddy - 09 Nov 12 at 18:29
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 12 at 18:28
To elaborate a little...

The egr delete pipe was chopped in half and then the ally pipe re beaded ( with a home made beader, pics can be arranged) then the 180 joiner tube is where I was going to put the intake temp sensor...but as yet I haven't as I'm thing of using the same sensor as yours, but just the temp part, not the boost...in case of future mods like Afn turbo fitment.
lloydy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 12 at 20:11
Great to hear that, as I was looking at those egr delete pipes (inc the allard one) but thought they looked a bit long and thought cutting them down looses me the bead. Would like a pic of your bead maker, it it like a cut up pair of adjustable pliers with bit of weld on it?
16" syncro multivan
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 12 at 20:17
How did you guess! Vise grips, exaust clamp, and a washer! Works incredibly well....hold on..camera time!
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 12 at 20:37
Ok...here it is..

And in use...the bead on the other end is the allard one, in the jaws is a practice one from the tool so a little rough but effective.

lloydy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 12 at 21:08
Very nice, do you want to rent it out for a week

Edited by lloydy - 09 Nov 12 at 21:08
16" syncro multivan
lloydy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 12 at 21:38
And what allard one did you get? As they seem to all have a boss in the actual pipe which looks like it will stop me cutting it down? The darksidedevelopments one doesn't have that boss.
16" syncro multivan
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 12 at 21:53
Originally posted by lloydy lloydy wrote:

You can certainly borrow it, no charges. It's a 58 mm clamp so perfect on 57 mm pipe but did experiment a bit ( me and my mate) on smaller pipes and as long as the washer goes in it does ok on them as well.

I won't need it for a good while I reckon so glad to see it get some use.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 12 at 21:55

And what allard one did you get? As they seem to all have a boss in the actual pipe which looks like it will stop me cutting it down? The darksidedevelopments one doesn't have that boss.

Erm...it was an ebay purchase....will have a look but I do recall the pics were different for the items! Off to look.....
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 12 at 22:01
Preeety sure this was it..170934921390 ebay item number.
lloydy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 12 at 22:01
Originally posted by max and caddy max and caddy wrote:

You can certainly borrow it, no charges. It's a 58 mm clamp so perfect on 57 mm pipe but did experiment a bit ( me and my mate) on smaller pipes and as long as the washer goes in it does ok on them as well.

I won't need it for a good while I reckon so glad to see it get some use.

That's great, thanks a lot. I'll pm you my address
16" syncro multivan
lloydy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 12 at 22:07
Originally posted by max and caddy max and caddy wrote:

Preeety sure this was it..170934921390 ebay item number.

Nice, just ordered that
16" syncro multivan
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 12 at 22:09
Just double checked...that's the one I got, has a handy vacuum fitting on it as well for a pressure line to a gauge in your case or n75 in mine.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>