The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alternator Help Required

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dek1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternator Help Required
    Posted: 31 Aug 08 at 21:31
Hi folks,
            Having problems with my alternator (1987 2.4d) had to recharge the battery twice, so last time i measured the volts across the terminals, when engine not running = 12.5v, started engine and the reading was the same, so i suspected the alternator.

So i got underneath to look at the connections and it looks like its been bodged, so i need to know were the wires go to.

And is there only 2 wires coming from the rear of the alternator.

1 of the wires (thin one) connects into what looks like the the harness going to the starter motor.

but where does the other  (thicker wire) goto?

Appreciate as much help as possible

cheers,
          Derek 
LT28, 2.4D, 5 speed box, no PAS, Left Hooker
dek1965 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dek1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 08 at 23:30

Please Help, want to go camping this weekend

LT28, 2.4D, 5 speed box, no PAS, Left Hooker
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 08 at 10:30
I think from previous posts the thin wire feeds the rev counter, so if you've got one and it works I'd leave it alone.
The thick wire has to connect to the battery, but by what route I don't know.
Why not ring your local VW dealer, ask for the workshop and then explain what the problem is. Chances are they will tell you the answer for nothing, if not its cost a phone call.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Post Reply Post Reply