The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another Zig Unit Question!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Welsh Wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Zig Unit Question!!
    Posted: 23 Aug 09 at 22:35
I've just bought a second-hand van and it's got a Zig unit CF8 in it. I've found a site where I downloaded the instructions, but even in the fault-finding bit, I can't find an answer.
The van runs OK - no problems. The fridge runs well. When the mains cable is in, and the fridge is on, the mains light on the fridge (Green) lights up.
When the van is moving, the green light is still on?
There are two lights on the Zig unit, that are supposed to be battery condition indicators, but neither the red or the green light are on.
When I had the interior lights on the other day, and the mains cable plugged in the lights all went off momentarily and then there was a soft click from somewhere, other than from the Zig unit, and they all came back on. This happened a few times on the trot, but it hasn't happened since.  When that happened, the mains cable was in, the mains switched on, the 12v on, and the centre switch was on 'Site'.
The interior lights work brighter with the switch set to 'Touring'.
Have I got everything wrong, or is there something else I should be doing, or is there a problem??
Any ideas welcome
Welsh Wanderer.
AngeloEvs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngeloEvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 09 at 23:59
Sounds like you need to have it checked. The battery condition lights not functioning suggests that the Zig isn't working. What conversion do you have or is this a home brew?

Check the small fuse on the Zig Panel.

Check that the switches on the RCD (earth leakage breaker, should have one somewhere) are set to  'on.

Zigs have overcurrent and temperature trip switches internally but these should reset  automatically.

The Mains Rocker switch for the fridge being 'on' when you are driving is an odd one and I can only think that the fridge may be working off an Invertor instead of the usual 12V supply or your switch lights up on both but I haven't seen one like that

Lights brighter on 'Touring' ( connects the leisure equpment to the starter battery) suggestd that the leisure battery isn't charged or getting charged when driving, or the leisure battery terminals are corroded, poor earth etc.   You are leaving the switch set to 'touring' when on the move?  Zig CF8 doesn't need a split charge relay  but many peeps fit them so might be worth checking in and around the batteries and looking for in-line fuses, relays, etc.

Edited by AngeloEvs - 24 Aug 09 at 00:03
Welsh Wanderer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Welsh Wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 09 at 13:03
This is an autohomes coachbuilt van, so everything should be right, but being from 1984, I suppose anything could have been changed/altered. When I switch the unit to 'site' and the mains lead is in, the zig makes a quiet buzz, just like an ordinary battery charger makes. Haven't checked any of the fuses yet. It's a strange one for the fridge. There are two switches- one for mains (which is the green light) and a red one for 12v,(which doesn't seem to do anything), and on the other side is the gas knob and igniter (but told it isn't gas connected). As a matter of additional interest - may not be connected - the headlights are a bit on the dim side and the wipers run slower than usual! I'll be taking your advice and looking for the earth connections - looks like I'll have to search out each and every one to find the cure for these problems. I'll also see if I can find out if someone has inserted a 'split charge relay' as well. Have to wait a while as it's outside and looks like we're in for thinderstorms all day today!! I'll update again when I can
Regards
AngeloEvs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngeloEvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 09 at 21:21
If the ZIG is making a buzzing noise then it is receiving power but it shouldn't make a noise unless its trying too hard to charge the leisure battery or the transformer or ZIG ihas developed a fault. Check the leisure battery voltage, if its lower than 12.7V it needs charging and it might be an idea to remove it and charge it overnight.  If it doesn't charge overnight it needs replacing.  Reconnect it and switch the ZIG on, measure the voltage across the battery terminals, you should get a reading of around 13V.  If the ZIG still makes a buzzing noise on a fully charged battery then it should be checked as it may be faulty.
modman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 09 at 23:22
Hi, I have just got a campervan with a CF8 Zig unit - It is fine on 12v and on mains hook up with the MIDDLE switch set to `Touring`. If you set it to `ONSITE` while on hookup, the unit fizzes and the lights flicker, plus the compressor fridge (connected to terminal 10) keeps stopping and starting. Is it possibly that the leisure batteries can make it do this as when the batteries are removed, the unit just `hums`. The lights work on 12v ok without leisure batteries but the 12v compressor fridge wont work properly and makes the lights flicker violently - however It is not meant to supply so much current without batteries as I understand it.

I should point out that both leisure batteries have just been charged outside the vehicle as were totally flat beforehand and panel light was red. It is green with batteries now.

Any advice would be gratefully received

AngeloEvs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngeloEvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 09 at 22:32
Firstly, the Zig shouldn't be switched on with the battery disconnected to supply the leisure electrical system as you will experience pulsating, buzzing vibrations and the Zig will over voltge to about 14.7V and it will not be a true DC voltage anyway. What make compressor fridge are you using and what is its power consumption in Watts?  Waeco and other similar energy efficient leisure commpressor fridges only require about 35W - 45W and this has to be supplied with the battery installed   How does the CF8 perform with the fridge switched off as it sounds very much like the Zig is tryinmg to supply the fridge rather than the battery.  Switch the CF8 on, select 'on-Site'  and measure the Zig output voltage at the leisure battery teminals with the fridge off - you should read about 13.4V. Switch the fridge on and the voltage should drop to around 13V. 
modman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 09 at 19:16
Hi, thanks for reply - I think it is a waeco fridge with just a control stat inside and no lights.

The zig will make the fizzing noise only with elec hook up and switch in onsite position irrespective of any 12v appliance being on. However when switcherd to touring position it hums normally.
Without hook up the 12v system is on on lights etc but the fridge doesnt work properly for mopre than a few3 hours. I am wondering if the fault is in the batteries as like I said, the zig poweres the lights and water pump without batteries with no fizzing noise in onsite position.

I have two 85ah batteries w2hich will cost over a £100 to replace, so need to be sure it is not the zig unit at fault.
cheers
AngeloEvs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngeloEvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 09 at 22:33
The Zig will charge the leisure battery when the 'on-site' is selected. If wired as per manufacturers instructions, selecting touring will disconnect the Zig from the battery system even though it is switched on and so will actually be connected to nothing. This is to prevent the Zig charging the starter battery as it is still connected to the Alternator output regulator. The Zig usually hums if the output current is high due to a very low leisure battery or there is a fault.   Flickering lights and humming could be a fault with the Zig.  I have a Waeco fridge and can run it off the leisure battery for several days so your three hours seems to indicate that either your battery isn't fully charged or it may be faulty.   You need to check the output voltage of the Zig on a fully charged battery. 

Charge the leisure battery overnight and check the voltage - it should be around 12.7V and should remain thereabouts.

Reifit it and and switch on lights and try water pump and check that the battery is holding charge at a round 12.5V

Switch on the Waeco and check leisure battery output- should be around 12.2 V with fridge compressor running.

Now switch the ZIG on via the mains switch, select 'on-site' and measure voltage again across battery terminals -  should be around 13V to 13.4V.   If its a lot higher (or lower than 12V)  then the  ZIg isn't regulating the output voltage and is faulty. 
John60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 20 at 16:20
. I have a zig cf8 fitted in my campervan it has suddenly started making a clicking noise roughly every 10/15 seconds and it makes myy ignition lights flick. Off and on when it clicks also can't start engine because of it
Would it be because I fitted a split charger or 2000watt inverter. Can anyone help. Thank you 
 Post Reply Post Reply