The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Audi A4 Passat gear box install

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13141516>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacobus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 18 at 21:00

Dear all,

I've fitted the engine today!

Yeay.  Gearbox joined with the engine just perfectly, and with all parts from ultimate engineering, things went smooth. I bought the gearbox-front mount, so that was an easy fit, and I had the engine-cradle modified by a fried.

anyhow: only problem I ran in to: The drive shafts.  I got the pair adapters from UE, and the rightside is a perfect fit. On the leftside though, the driveshaft doesn't fit in side the circle of bolts.

I mounted the adapterplate with the original hex bolts from the Audi drive shafts, and I think their heads are just a little bit to big, or the driveshaft/CV-joint is a bit to big?   I had trouble enough since the angle is quite steep, but then I discovered the inner circle of the hex bolts is just to small.

I used the bolts in this picture:

The bus is lowered with the brickwerks lowering kit ( Bilstein B12 / Eibach 40 mm ), the engine cradle mounts are lowered 40mm and 10 mm forward, as specifications for UE's website, and I thinks everything else is still stock JX parts ( driveshafts )

The two driveshaft adapters were marked RIGHT and LEFT.  The right is a thicker adapter, fitted on the right side of the car ( the NON turbo side of the engine)
The LEFT adapter is a lot thinner, fitted on the turbo side of the bus. Because the adapter is thinner, the heads from the bolts stick out, and the CV-joint wont fit..

CV joint should be 100mm, the flanges on the box (TDI Audi) are 130.. ordered the adapters from Tim Shettle.
y
130 - 100 = 30 mm space, diveded by two = 15 mm,. Are the heads thicker than 15mm? probably.. Could I just skim them, or use different bolts? Luckily I ddn't use threadlock on them yet.... (offcourse I allready DID :-) )

Any thoughts? pictures might help too!

Edited by Jacobus - 10 Jun 18 at 21:26
It _is_ floored
andy1300gt View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy1300gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 18 at 21:22
Did you move the gearbox mount over at the front to the second set of holes?
It's all rust in the end....

89 T3 Doka - AFN TDI
76 XJC 4.2 Daimler - Gone!
72 Austin 1300
Jacobus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacobus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 18 at 21:28
Originally posted by andy1300gt andy1300gt wrote:

Did you move the gearbox mount over at the front to the second set of holes?

Yes, from middle (diesel) to the rightside (petrol)..  had a hard time since the threads had never been used and the bus has been coated in a thick layer of bitumen..

The angle isn't the biggest problem,. it's the diameter of the circle of bolts holding the adapterplate,.. they don't allow the CV-joint to touch the face of the adapter.
It _is_ floored
Racebiz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racebiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 18 at 15:31
If i'm understanding your problem correctly, - having tightened up your adapter as you have by the sounds of it, remove one allen bolt at a time and file a small flat on the head to give just enough clearance. Once you have done this to all, there shouldn't be a problem.
98 T3 PD130 Viking Top
A4 1.9 TDI
Classic RangeRover 3.9 EFI
Jacobus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacobus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 18 at 22:26
Probably the way to go. Should have checked while the box was on the bench. Now it's in/under the bus,. I'll just break my back again :-)

On a side note: I did get the wiring ripped from the donor Golf while being a bit demoted,..
It _is_ floored
Jacobus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacobus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 18 at 18:24
Originally posted by Jacobus Jacobus wrote:

Probably the way to go. Should have checked while the box was on the bench. Now it's in/under the bus,. I'll just break my back again :-)

On a side note: I did get the wiring ripped from the donor Golf while being a bit demoted,..

jeebus

https://imgur.com/pPkj0rT

https://imgur.com/RmlpFpZ

got that sorted!

Edited by Jacobus - 25 Jun 18 at 18:26
It _is_ floored
Racebiz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racebiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 18 at 12:06
Thats looking fine.
98 T3 PD130 Viking Top
A4 1.9 TDI
Classic RangeRover 3.9 EFI
Guilar420 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guilar420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 18 at 18:25
Hi there I’m doing a 2.7t conversion and was wondering if I use the Audi box and flip how would I go about the breathers and oil level plus linkage? Thnx t
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 18 at 11:12
I would consider that the Porsche 996 gearbox would be a better option for your engine for your 5 or 6 cylinder engine.
Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
www.ultimate-engineering.co.uk
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
Guilar420 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guilar420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 18 at 17:16
Would that be a straight fit with out flipping the box?
Surfrider View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Surfrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 18 at 15:24
Porsche 996 or 997 gearbox is straight fit. Requires 1 lug hole to be moved.
I BOOKED MY TICKET TO HELL ALONG TIME AGO.
Guilar420 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guilar420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 18 at 12:10
Ok had a look at pricing or Porsche boxes can’t really afford them so I think I’ll have to make the Audi box work but I’m struggling to find gear ratios of some Audi box’s :( has any one got some pics of gear ratios plz 👌🏼😁
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 18 at 12:15
There are some on this build thread.

Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
motrocco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motrocco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 19 at 14:31
Hi there.  Is there anyone actually doing this conversion these days?  Would be very interested to know.

Someone in Ireland too as this is where I am based, but UK too.
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 19 at 17:05
Flipping the gearbox from the Passat B5 or Audi A4 is still very much alive. Parts are available from Ultimate Engineering in the UK. Drop them a message for more info.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
gary1998 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 19 at 21:52
Originally posted by motrocco motrocco wrote:

Hi there.  Is there anyone actually doing this conversion these days?  Would be very interested to know.

Someone in Ireland too as this is where I am based, but UK too.

two or three lads doing this in ireland ,, join the facebook page type2ireland and transporter owners ireland
beware the fury of a patient man

http://www.eireball.com/
Expo1122 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Expo1122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 19 at 23:31
Hello everyone. I have finally mounted the gearbox after about a year of collecting the parts. I ended up getting the gearbox machined using g a horizontal boring mill. 

One question, is the engine supposed to be sitting on an angle afterwards? I drilled out my carrier bars to drop the engine 40mm and forward 10mm. Everything lined right up after moving the front mount to the right side holes, but now looking at the oil pan it is no longer level. I would say it's on a 15 degree angle or so. Is this okay? 

Expo1122 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Expo1122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 19 at 23:37
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 19 at 08:43
This front to back engine angle is normal and is a result of lowering the gearbox to give better drive shaft CV joint angle.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
siddo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siddo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 19 at 19:33
Hi there this may seem a little off topic but I’m struggling for a solution at the moment, I have recently bought a TDI engine and box conversion that was done by ultimate engineering and taken it from a scrap van and put in to mine,i heard the van run but never drove it before removing.I have got it all running ok but for some reason when out on the road it will not rev over 2500rpm but will if your stood still. I have had It plugged in and it came up with egr fault and boost solenoid. But it is boosting as I put a live and earth to the solenoid direct as out the loom there was no live. I would imagine it’s a wiring mistake on my behalf but could anybody help point me in the right direction please?As at the moment it’s quite a pain.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13141516>