The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > South African T3s
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brakes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldmaninDorset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brakes
    Posted: 25 Jun 15 at 00:20
More from Richard

I took a chance and bought a pair of SA discs from VW Heritage dated 9/99 onwards.  Haven't tried them on my 1996 yet.  Were there any changes in '99 apart from smoked glasses on the lights? I like EBC Yellowstuff pads as they have a wide heat range so very little likelihood of fading.  EBC can match the pads for the bus but Yellowstuff are on two to four week delivery.

The discs fitted at the moment don't match and the nearside caliper isn't seated properly.  Brakes pull up straight (and no problem at recent MOT) although they're not good enough for my liking, hence the planned upgrade.  HEL Performance can make bespoke braided hoses.  The calipers work OK.  I'll wait until the pads arrive before I delve further.

I've cleaned and adjusted the back brakes - the handbrake wouldn't hold on a moderate Dorset hill.  The linings are cracked - they were renewed about four years ago according to a receipt I have.  The brakes don't seem as good as the ones on my 1989 T3 which only had a couple of new wheel cylinders in 225,000 miles of commercial work.  No trouble with the handbrake even with eight passengers and a luggage trailer.  Will the smaller rear brakes from the T3 fit our SA buses?  Maybe the disc conversion is the way to go: I prefer disc brakes anyway.

Bought the bus last August and haven't used it much until a recent trip to Cornwall.  I like the performance!  Even well-loaded I out-performed a Mazda MX5 going up Haldon Hill on the A38 at Exeter: the driver may have been asleep.  It was coming down the other side that I discovered the naff brakes.

I'll let you know how I get on with the brake work (or not - as the case may be).  Owning an SA Caravelle is going to be a challenge - but you knew that already!

Richard  
Richard
1996 2.6 Caravelle
1977 1.6 Bay
 Post Reply Post Reply