The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > South African T3s
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clutch help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 16 at 17:07
thanks
what i thought was a straight forward job is getting complicated and expensive
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 16 at 13:10
After some advice from Nev and a couple of other people it looks like the s2 gearbox spacer is part no 01e 103 551 and is 8mm thick. I have been to the garage and compared the two bellhousings and it looks like the spacer is just what i need.
My flywheel looks to be a240mn but was difficult to measure accurately

I am now struggling to find the spacer . There seem to be plenty around but not the 8mm one

Anyone know of a decent audi breakers
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 16 at 13:27
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 16 at 13:28
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 16 at 13:28
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 16 at 13:30
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 16 at 16:27
OK I have a measurement for you to compare with. The ur Quattro clutch assembled and bolted to the flywheel is 80mm from back of pressure plate to front of flywheel teeth, this should be the same as the SA clutch. Will now try and add some picks.

Edited by T3 Nev - 09 Feb 16 at 16:52
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 16 at 16:49
Having no joy adding pics.  Can try and find you a spacer off the S2 forum guys.
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 16 at 19:37
not to worry nev, I have just had a message from the S2 forum, I think I may have one
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 16 at 20:39
im at 80mm too for the audi box - from the engine casing to the face of the fingers on the pressure plate was 85mm so it compresses the clutch plate 5mm just from bolting the box to the engine. cliff-d mentioned he couldnt get the box to fit up on his when he tried to bolt up - we came to the conclusion of spacers or spline collar was protruding too much across the input shaft.
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 16 at 20:45
Spacer should hopefully solve this.
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 16 at 21:02
also! dont space out too far away from the engine as the release bearing will lose some of its travel which could lead to a slipping clutch....

few more dims for you tip of input shaft sits behind gearbox mating face by 9mm

66mm free play on the release bearing arm (from g/box face again) fully extended to fully retracted.

im up again friday and my audi clutch plate is out so i can take some direct comparison photos for you and get a few more measurements..... i got a new clutch plate with my sa bellhousing

i do have a suspicion that the splines on the input shaft are too far towards the engine and not enuf back into the gearbox but never 100% confirmed this......... 

booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 16 at 21:57
Thanks all good info
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 16 at 19:20
ready?

my audi box (bellhousing cut of for clarity!) input shaft is 15mm dia 20mm long tip to splines is 29mm and splines are 38mm long

specially made up t3 centre on audi 240 plate on the left boggo audi 240 on right (yours may be similar?)

this is the difference between the two which made me tink the centres are in the wrong place....

audi plate

28mm deep spline socket/centre (for want of better word) 17.5mm to face gearbox side 2.5mm to engine side 8mm thick friction plate

my t3/sa plate

30mm deep spline socket/centre 25.5mm to face gearbox side 33mm from socket/centre to engine side face overall so 3mm further in from friction plate  on engine side

if yours works out the same as mine you'll need an 8mm spacer on the gearbox but you could do with an 8mm spacer on the thrust bearing too........

Edited by rowlesy - 12 Feb 16 at 19:21

booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 16 at 20:45
Thanks rowlesy thats great. Hopefully i will compare mine tomorrow. It was running a std t3 228mm friction plate with the audi pressure plate was the 240 friction plate expensive?
My spacer arrived today. What have you done with the locating dowels which will now be 8mm too short
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 16 at 20:47
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 16 at 20:48
its all gone to shit for me! im keeping the doka now and selling off the s/a kit! the clutch came with it

rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 16 at 20:49
oh and pull the dowles out and make some more........

booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 16 at 13:49
Looks like the spacer will put the release bearing in the same position it was with the home made bellhousing
Fingers crossed
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 16 at 17:15
Originally posted by booted booted wrote:

Looks like the spacer will put the release bearing in the same position it was with the home made bellhousing
Fingers crossed
Excellent! Hope it works out OK.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>