The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coming back to VW

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Hedgehog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coming back to VW
    Posted: 01 Sep 20 at 23:00
Had a T5 and a T5.1, then wanted something different so went and got a Vito W447 163bhp
It’s been a good van with zero problems for the four years
of ownership. Well except for the glove box lever rattling but that annoys the wife more than me so I decided not to get it fixed LOL

New Van time has come around again and despite the Ford dealer offering me 39.5% off list for transit custom 130 I decided to come back to VW and buy a T6 .1
It’s the 150 high line DSG Kombi with LED headlights in Ascot grey
Took the demo out and loved it. Managed to do a deal and get a good percentage off list but was hard work. 

Now the long wait begins build time of around 12 weeks, looking forward to driving it hoping that it will be reasonably headache free Smile

Edited by Mr Hedgehog - 01 Sep 20 at 23:02
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 20 at 09:46
Welcome back Mr H!  Sounds like a nice van.  Smile  Which goodies did you order with it?  I went a bit mad with my old van when I ordered it new 17 years ago, but now I'm glad I have all the extras.  I've lost touch with what you can get now but there is a lot of safety stuff these days, 'driver awareness' lane change assist and all.  Not sure I like the idea of the van driving me!  I'll stick with the old banger for now.  No DPF, no adblue and no stop/start. 
2004 2.5 174
Mr Hedgehog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Hedgehog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 20 at 20:50
Thank you It’s nice to be back T5 TDI Smile
The highline is quite well specced as standard, my only additions were seats went for leatherette, larger fuel tank and LED headlights.

Yes there’s quite a few driver aids on this one, the adaptive cruise control of has to be my favourite, I do hear what you are saying about you like to drive instead of being driven as such.
I’m a pretty bad driver at times so all help is welcome. 

My company car has lane assist so once it’s sussed out you are in a lane it does the steering to keep you in it, although I do like taking my hands of the wheel to annoy it. First you get beeping and it flashes up on the window screen to put your hands back on, if you ignore this the car taps the brakes incase you’ve fallen asleep. LOL

The T5 in its different models has always been my favourite van 
I’d thought I’d try a Vito but after 4 years I can say there really isn’t much between them.
Vito better in some areas and Transporter better in other but all in all quite equal. 

I don’t blame you for still having your 2.5 174 they are good fun, hope you don’t mind me saying but when I drove one a few times I loved the 2.5 engine and the way it took off. A real yob of a van. 

Adblue is okay but I have been caught out with the van not starting when it gets low and you’ve not refilled despite the dash warnings.

T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 20 at 22:00
The more vehicles actively take over the less I like driving!  For me if I'm driving, I want to do it.  It freaks me out when steering/brakes are applied externally.  I know I'm old but I'm happy to avoid that stuff for as long as I still have left.  However, I won't mind the future when I can just get in the back seat and fall asleep for the journey and then just go for a track day for the fun bit.  

What is the adaptive cruise like?  Not much good with manual transmission but handy with your DSG box when you get it I would think.  Even I would forgive it for altering things if I had chosen to use autopilot. :-)
2004 2.5 174
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 20 at 06:24
Mr HH, Congrats on your new van.  

I'll be leaving van ownership as soon as I sell my T5, as I no longer travel & camp at dog agility trials, so no need for a van (2 people don't need 3 vehicles, and the van is classed as a commercial vehicle so costs even more than a car to keep it registered)

I turned the lane keeping off (after I had freaked SHMBO by taking both hands off the wheel and saying:  "Let Jesus be my guide ! ") as I found the steering wheel "nudges" when two lanes went into 1 (or vice versa) a bit annoying.  I guess it comes down to personal preferences (as is so often the case)

Originally posted by T5 TDI T5 TDI wrote:

What is the adaptive cruise like?  Not much good with manual transmission but handy with your DSG box when you get it I would think.  Even I would forgive it for altering things if I had chosen to use autopilot. :-)

I have adaptive cruise control (ACC) in my Golf R wagon, and I definitely like it better then the "manual" cruise control in my T5 as it can be programmed to keep a reasonable distance from the vehicle in front so you can use it even in medium traffic (which I don't in the T5). It even brakes on steeper downhills.

So I end up using it more of the time, which has saved me some speeding fines more than once (unsurprisingly my Golf is a bit faster than my T5 - not that my T5 is "slow")

There are a few things I don't like about ACC:

If the vehicle in front slows down gradually I tend not to notice at first, so end up travelling slower than I planned.

Vehicles turning off can freak it out so it brakes (sometimes quite hard) when I can tell they will be out of the way by the time I get there.

Switching on/off and activating/deactivating can sometimes be a bit confusing (I sometimes have to look at the dash display to see what mode it currently is)

Edited by gregozedobe - 03 Sep 20 at 06:32
 Post Reply Post Reply