Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

confusion about 4x4 LTs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: confusion about 4x4 LTs
    Posted: 21 Feb 09 at 22:50
can someone explain to me what the VW designations are to indicate a 4x4 version of one of the LTs?

when i first found out that the LT was available in a 4x4 version, the pics i saw were all of LT45s, so i assumed that was the 4x4 model of the LT.  then, a couple of days ago, i saw pics of an LT40 4x4 and also an LT45 which was only 2 wheel drive.  i've also come across german websites, which seem to be referring to the 4x4 versions of the LT as 'sülzer'  [also seen anglicised as 'suelzer'].

so now i'm really confused.  if it isnae based on the model number,  then how do VW indicate which LTs are four wheel drive and which aren't?... and what the feck does 'sülzer' mean?

tomschute View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 09 at 10:00
I beleave the 4x4 was never a true VW issue, it was bougth in and converted into a 4x4 alot like how Reynolds & Boughton converted the french filth Dodge 50 - RB44. or Mercedes Brabus.

This might be why you are seeing odd models, also why they are not badged syncro like most VW 4x4.

To my knowledge they were only availble in Germany.

Syncro spares should shed some light - he's got the only one in the UK I've ever seen.

http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lt-4x4.de%2F&sl=de&tl=en

Edited by tomschute - 22 Feb 09 at 10:02
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 09 at 10:20
cheers.  i'd seen that LT 4x4 site before. it  always comes top of the results  when you search for info about them, even tho' it looks like it hasnae been updated in twenty years.  on this page they've got some scans of info about LT 4x4s - one of which seems to be an official VW brochure, which suggests they were made by VW themselves.  my german is almost non-existent, so i could be missing sommit, but the brochure has VW badges on it and i can see no mention in it of any other company which might be doing them as conversions.

actually, i've just had another look at that brochure and on the fourth page, it lists a load of different 4x4 models. they all seem to be LT40s or LT45s, so maybe that '4' in the name was the designation for 4x4.  still disnae explain why i saw an LT40 advertised somewhere a week or two ago which was a non 4x4... unless it was but the seller just hadnae bothered to mention the fact that it was four wheel drive.
tomschute View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 09 at 10:45
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 09 at 10:59
Originally posted by tomschute tomschute wrote:

...I'm gonna go with that and some of this...

yay - military green should look cool. 

hefty price tho' - when you factor in the postage.  unless you can find someone local who sells it.
tomschute View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 09 at 11:47
i really don't think that's a lot. Considering if you went to a paint shop you'd prolly be looking at 2k for a re spray!

I think finish wise it's a good comprimise - using a good primer and good quility paint with a bit of patients will result in a very good qulity finish. Not far off paint shop.

Ultra cheap paint will result in a pain in the arse job, crap finish and it'll all peel of when you drive down a country lane!

I think this paint also has a very low setting point - so it's go off properly, plus it isn't army green - it's any colour you want on BS381c chart! ...  bargain:

http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk/bs381c.html
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 09 at 11:55
i think my van just had some really crappy paint on the fibreglass roof that didnae take to the hammerite at all.   i always hammerite my motors for that authentic mad max look and i've never had it peel off like that before. it usually just fades a bit over the years.
tomschute View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 09 at 13:19
well i'm looking forward to my first bodge paint job so hope it all works out ok Confused
russel at syncronutz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russel at syncronutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 09 at 20:46
The 4X4 Lt was produced by 2 companeys. The first being schultze from about 1979 to 1989.
These where LT's produced by VW then converted to 4WD. They used american dana axles(very good axles)
VW made the other 4x4 LT from 1986 to 1995. They use Italian plant axles(front and rear diff locks)
These modles where the 40 and 45(also availabile in 2WD)
the LT 40 is a 4 ton and the 45 is a 4.5ton.
cheers
Russel

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russel at syncronutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 09 at 20:49
AA and syncro spares dosent have the only one in the UK.
I have a rather special one and i know of another 2(owned by the same person)
cheers
Russel 
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 09 at 20:56
ta for the info.

Originally posted by russel at syncronutz russel at syncronutz wrote:

...the LT 40 is a 4 ton and the 45 is a 4.5ton...

does that mean they're not driveable on a standard car licence then?   i thought the limit was 3,5 tonnes.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russel at syncronutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 09 at 21:04
That depends when you got your licence.If you past before 1997 then you should be able to drive up to 7.5 ton after that you are only allowed 3.5 ton. If the van is a camper and registered as so then it is a grey area as to using a 3.5ton licence.
You can have a vehicle re plated to a lesser weight.
Russel
tomschute View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 09 at 21:25
"If the van is a camper and registered as so then it is a grey area as to using a 3.5ton licence."

Not grey at all - plain illegal. Ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the lawOuch .... unfortunatally.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/WhatCanYouDriveAndYourObligations/DG_10037875

I'd imagine replaiting would be a piece of piss mind as the LT is relatively light.

Edited by tomschute - 22 Feb 09 at 21:29
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 09 at 22:13
that's OK.  my licence is from 1994 - back in the good ol' days when men were men and passing your driving test meant you where immediately eligible to take the helm of anything marginally smaller than an aircraft carrier.

now, who wants to swap a 4x4 LT for a semi-painted LT35? LOL

Edited by madra - 22 Feb 09 at 22:19
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 09 at 23:49
Originally posted by tomschute tomschute wrote:

"If the van is a camper and registered as so then it is a grey area as to using a 3.5ton licence."

Not grey at all - plain illegal. Ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the lawOuch .... unfortunatally.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/WhatCanYouDriveAndYourObligations/DG_10037875

I'd imagine replaiting would be a piece of piss mind as the LT is relatively light.

If you notify the DVLA that its been converted to a motorhome, it's not difficult to get it downrated.

A lot of the time they'll only send out forms for you to fill out and declare it is a motorhome; worst case scenario is you'll have to go to a DVLA office and have it inspected.

AFAIK (and I think, from memory, this is confirmed by Thal) - that you need to have fitted bed, fitted cooker, and fitted water storage and delivery system (though the exact specifics may be wrong).

As long as you downgrade it legally first, then its fine to drive it on a post-1997 license.

Ironically, I can drive an LT45 if it's a minibus, but not if its a panel van. I can also drive a 102 seater, 15 metre long double decked coach - but not an LT40 van. Madness!
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 09 at 11:15
Originally posted by icky icky wrote:

[QUOTE=tomschute]
...AFAIK (and I think, from memory, this is confirmed by Thal) - that you need to have fitted bed, fitted cooker, and fitted water storage and delivery system (though the exact specifics may be wrong)...

i think there's also a stipulation about having windows in the side, which is what rules out most 'stealth campers'
schutz View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 09 at 13:30
Suelzer LT 4x4's are a very rare beast, very low numbers were produced, approx 30 are known to have survived. The vast majority of them are non turbo diesels with only 3 known (so i'm led to believe by the german owners club) are petrol 2.4 6cylinder's. One of which i own with an incredible 13,000km's from new.

Although when you drive one of these things you'll realise why, no power steering and a Max speed of 50mph, 60 if your very lucky or very foolish coupled with poor fuel economy and a lack of power.

I am also led to believe that mine is one of the very last produced, manufactured in 1984.

VW did infact make the LT body/engine etc and then Suelzer who were based in Augsburg (south germany near Munich) fitted the 4x4 systems.

Mine also has been converted from new into an ambulance, stationed North of Hamburg where most Suelzers seem to have been stationed for use with the Katastrophenschutz.

Why have i bought one?? Good question.... cos i love em!

Russell, will have to meet up sometime soon. I really need to get my finger out and register these two beauties so that the fun can really begin!

I think your knowledge of 4x4 systems will come in handy!

MaRk*....
roundandsquare View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundandsquare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 09 at 17:52
The self build motor caravan club website has lots of legal-shmeegal stuff. sbmcc.co.uk    Look in past issues of their newsletter.   Worth noodling about on their site in general for handy hints on campervan conversion stuff.  

My van is still registered as a van although it's nearly converted into a camper...  but I've done it so I can quickly take must of the camper units out and use it as a van..   Apparently this sort of behaviour upsets insurance companies.... "Does Not Compute"........  but after phoning about a bit CIS said they didn't mind what I used it for.....    Must get round to telling them about the wood-burning stove one of these days.......................
LT35 2.4 diesel (not turbo) hybrid van/camper type thing...
tomschute View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 09 at 18:20
I think as usual there's a lot of misinformation flying about regarding "motor home" eligability.

When I enquired about re classing mine as a camper the DVLA turned there nose up at the fact that I had converted it. They requested reciepts, evidence from professional conversion companies and stated "just cos it's got a sink and bed in it don't make it a camper". Seemed like snobery to me. Not sure there stance now but that was only a couple of years ago.

End of the day I couldn't see the benefits of reclassification - other than it might be more legal regarding insurance etc...

What you can drive is based on Gross Vehicle Weight and your license class, full stop. Dosn't matter what it's classed as.
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 09 at 18:35

The point I was getting across is that if it's registered as a motorhome, you can get the Gross Vehicle Weight downgraded to 3.5 tonnes (as long as the vehicle isn't going to be over this - an LT as standard weighs about 2 and a bit, so it'll never be over 3.5) thus meaning you CAN drive it on a car license.

There's a lot of loopholes, and being honest it can depend on what sort of day the person at the DVLA is having.

Edited by icky - 23 Feb 09 at 18:37
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>