The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

confusion about 4x4 LTs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 09 at 20:15
Originally posted by icky icky wrote:

and being honest it can depend on what sort of day the person at the DVLA is having.

defo agree with that - they seem to operate by there own day to day rools!

I think you should be able to downgrade any vehicle class so long as you get its curb weight under the limit. Although if it's a camperyou're right they will be happier as it isn't going to be carrying heavy loads and some downgrades bring you very close to limits.

I know people downgrade dodge 50's a lot - and there curb weight ends up very close to the new GVW. Also Bedford MJs down to 7.5t.

Edited by tomschute - 23 Feb 09 at 20:16
Marlow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 12 at 08:30
Just warming the thread up again :)

How many 4x4 LT's are there in the UK ? Schutz has 2 and Russel another one. Any more known of ?

The VW LT40/45 4x4 are supposed to have been based on Sülzers development. There's also the Noricker, which was build in competition to the VW LT 4x4 by Daimler-Steyr-Puch, also on LT basis.

I'm hopefully purchasing a LT40 4x4 on monday. We'll see how that fares out.

/M
mcgill5 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcgill5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 12 at 01:55
i have one! LT 40 4x4 fire-truck which is 2.4 petrol and now has a westfalia interior and a factory hi-top fitted and its the only twin slider i have seen? cheers mcgill
Marlow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 12 at 11:35
Originally posted by mcgill5 mcgill5 wrote:

i have one! LT 40 4x4 fire-truck which is 2.4 petrol and now has a westfalia interior and a factory hi-top fitted and its the only twin slider i have seen?

Well, twin sliders would be rare no matter what, as it's optional. How is in on petrol ? I've seen the pictures of it, when the roof was changed. Nice work there. I've also been told, yours is like brand new.

I've brought mine home from Bavaria in the meanwhile. 2.4 TD with factory hi-top.

/M

Edited by Marlow - 04 Jun 12 at 11:41
1989 VW LT40 4x4 pop-top
1994 VW LT45 4x4 doka
1997 VW Transporter Syncro TDI
mcbkat View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcbkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 12 at 19:33
There were 156 Suelzers made, only the first 6 had Dana's, the rest of them Hurth axles.
De Vries did the same conversion in the Netherlands, at least 3 times LOL, I've got 2 and 1 Paris-Dakar crew-cab is in a German museum. The De Vries has no extra reduction in front of the t-case like the Suelzer.
At least one Suelzer is 2WD and at least one is a TD. Later Suelzers ('84>) had the front diff on the right side and the t-case upside down Confused...
VW has made 1200 (or 1300?) 4x4's.
Only long wheel-base, because of transfer-case, and leaf-spring, because of axles, were 4x4 > LT40/45. And weight... mine weighs about 3000kg...  allmost empty...

Cheers,

Stefan

Suelzer Turbodiesel:

De Vries LT45 4X4, De Vries LT40 4x4
mcbkat View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcbkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 12 at 19:35
2 wheel drive Suelzer:

Paris-Dakar De Vries:

mcbkat View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcbkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 12 at 19:38
Mine, in better times...

Marlow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 12 at 20:21
Where those Snorkel kits commonly available ? Might be looking for one for mine.

/M
1989 VW LT40 4x4 pop-top
1994 VW LT45 4x4 doka
mcbkat View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcbkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 12 at 20:48
Good luck finding one... Cry
You'll probably have to get a cyclone filter and make the rest yourself...

Stefan

BTW, pics of your new money-pit?

LOL
Marlow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 12 at 21:00
Haha. Well, that might do the job, too.

Here are the pictures of the moneypit.

Roof-rack is already gone, as it was right rotten. I envision a permanent fixture in the back section of the roof.

The guy I bought it of started a campervan conversion, then abandoned the project due to personal reasons. It came with a fridge and a few other bits and bob's though.

It's a '93 ('92 build) VW LT40 4x4 TD. Weight 3160 kg empty. It has had a few surprises already, like a full vegoil 2-tank system, 2 alternators and there used to be a stationary diesel heater, so a lot of that installation is still there, just need to find a replacement heater.

/M
1989 VW LT40 4x4 pop-top
1994 VW LT45 4x4 doka
Marlow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 12 at 21:12
Originally posted by mcbkat mcbkat wrote:

At least one Suelzer is 2WD and at least one is a TD.

How difficult would it be to do a TD transplant on a Sülzer ?

/M
1989 VW LT40 4x4 pop-top
1994 VW LT45 4x4 doka
mcbkat View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcbkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 12 at 21:54
I believe from DW to a Turbodiesel is a straight fit, from CP involves a bit more work.
The green Suelzer from Belgium is an original TD...
I've got an ACL engine (95bhp, turbo, intercooler) allmost ready to go into the white De Vries.

Two alternators? Both 12V? Any history known of your LT?

Stefan
Marlow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 12 at 22:59

I believe from DW to a Turbodiesel is a straight fit, from CP involves a bit more work.
The green Suelzer from Belgium is an original TD...
I've got an ACL engine (95bhp, turbo, intercooler) allmost ready to go into the white De Vries.

I've got a DV (Turbodiesel) in mine with plans to upgrade to a Volvo D24TIC once I can find a suitable donor car.

There's a guy in the UK looking at a low-milage Sülzer, but he'd prefer a diesel, so we were looking, how complicated the conversion would be. Does the gearbox in the Sülzer fit the DV or ACL engine ?

As for the history of mine, it has about 200,000 km on the clock and started life belonging to the Austrian Post Services as a transmissions vehicle and mobile office. I reckon the second alternator was to provide power for the transmissions gear in the van.

A private person had it for a few months in 2001 after it was decommissioned, then it was sold to an energy company in Austria, who probably did the vegoil conversion. They used it until August 2011 last year, when they de-registered it and parked it up.

It was bought by a guy in Bavaria about 2 months ago, who started a campervan conversion but then abandoned the project for personal reasons. I flew to Munich about 2 weeks ago, drove the 100 km south to check the van out, made a deal and drove it to Denmark, as I had access to a garage there to get timing belts, water pump, pulley etc. done. Then brought it home to Ireland.

I've got the original austrian logbook with all the history and some service history came with the van.

/M

Edited by Marlow - 04 Jun 12 at 23:01
1989 VW LT40 4x4 pop-top
1994 VW LT45 4x4 doka
mcbkat View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcbkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 12 at 16:51
Thumbs Up cool.

Gearbox is stock VW, so if it's one with a DW engine, it will fit. CP I'm not sure.

Add an intercooler to you 102bhp DV and it's a D24TIC Wink

Stefan
Marlow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 12 at 17:10

Thumbs Up cool.

Gearbox is stock VW, so if it's one with a DW engine, it will fit. CP I'm not sure.

Add an intercooler to you 102bhp DV and it's a D24TIC Wink

The Volvo has to my knowledge also a bigger turbo and some other bits. Hence the 133 bhp instead of 102 bhp.

Besides that, I've just bought another LT40 4x4 low-roof panelvan today/yesterday. Mate is collecting it for me next week. It's '89 one that came out of Sweden. Has rust issues, but worst case, it'll make a great spares collection for mine.

/M
1989 VW LT40 4x4 pop-top
1994 VW LT45 4x4 doka
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 12 at 19:28
A bit girly, but Speedblocks on an LT.... mint.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
mcbkat View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcbkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 12 at 20:19
Volvo TIC is 122bhp. Same engine.
If you have a good DV, why change? Upgrade your DV. Intercooler, oilcooler, increase turbo pressure.

1980 6 in-line TD intercooler: 175bhp, world's fastest Diesel with 362km/h:

So, no problem getting a bit more power from your DV...

Oh, pics already?

Stefan
Marlow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 12 at 00:11

Volvo TIC is 122bhp. Same engine.
If you have a good DV, why change? Upgrade your DV. Intercooler, oilcooler, increase turbo pressure

I wasn't necessarily going to replace the engine, but definatly adding the bits from a donor Volvo and maybe keep the engine of the Volvo as a spare engine.

/M
1989 VW LT40 4x4 pop-top
1994 VW LT45 4x4 doka
BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 12 at 05:31

if you guys want to go for play around with upping the performance of your 6 pot 2.4 diesel engines you might find    this place    has some intereting bits of info, especially in the 'performance and aftermarket' forum.
NIL ILLIGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
mcbkat View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcbkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 12 at 06:26
That's already bookmarked Wink.
260bhp... mmm....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>