The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Converting my LT to run on LPG

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 13 at 09:33
Depends whether the tank will fit your van. It's unlikely the mixer will, so budget for a new one, and if the tank is over 10 years old and your insurance requires a UKLPG inspection (some don't), it will fail. Also, is it working now? If not why - some spares for older systems can be hard to get hold of.

I'd be inclined to go for new if it's your first install, that way everything should work and you'll have tech support from the supplier rather than you wondering whether it's a fault with the kit or a mistake made during installation...

Is the kit from a 1985 Nissan Leopard by any chance?
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
frenchy82 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frenchy82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 13 at 09:58
Thanks for the advice Mat, think new is probably the way to go, just can't afford a new system at the min. 

Also, after searching around on forums it looks as though spares may be hard to come by so I'm going to give it a miss.
1995 LT 28 2.4L petrol mini bus
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 13 at 10:02
Single point closed loop systems can be had for little money these days anyway..
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 13 at 10:50
How much do you spend on petrol a month? If payback time for a system is only a matter of months, then it might make sense bunging it on a credit card...
frenchy82 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frenchy82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 13 at 11:09
Nothing at the minute as I'm still attempting to renovate it to it's former glory! LOL
1995 LT 28 2.4L petrol mini bus
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 13 at 13:16
No good for an LT mate - no electronics to connect to.
Got the same system on my Range Rover V8.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 13 at 14:00
I assumed the 1995 LTs had a catalyst...if not (were vans exempt from the ~1993 cat introduction?) then yes, you want a basic open loop system unless you weld a boss in the exhaust for a lambda sensor.
volition82 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 13 at 17:21
Originally posted by mat_the_cat mat_the_cat wrote:

How much do you spend on petrol a month? If payback time for a system is only a matter of months, then it might make sense bunging it on a credit card...

I worked out that you save around £1000 for every 6000 miles you do. No brainer if your keeping the van for a while.
1989 LT35 - 2.4 Lpg/Petrol - Converted To Camper
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 13 at 18:46
Really is a no brainer, lots of places that will convert your van for a grand.
Parts plus safety test can save you around £250, if you have the skills etc.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

The_blue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 13 at 16:00
Hi guys, I read various forums and see the the T3 guys change engine timing for LPG. 

Is that needed on an LT? (2litre)

Mines having a new exhaust tomorrow so i'm having a lambda boss fitted to convert to closed loop :) 
Moving to Team Talbot :O
Josh n Bee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh n Bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 13 at 16:17
Hi AndyT, I notice you say you start on LPG all year round whereas others say that I should start on Petrol then go over to LPG. Why the difference of opinion?
Elsie, VW LT 31 2.4l. 1987
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 13 at 22:41
The_blue; a bit of information on ignition advance and LPG here.

Josh n Bee; with a basic single point gas system you can start on LPG if you wish, although there is no enrichment (but it needs less than petrol) and no increase in idle speed so maybe be easier to start on petrol. Would certainly be a good idea to use the petrol system occasionally to prevent gumming up, but I ran on gas for as long as possible.

Now I have a gas injection system (not on the LT) I have to run on petrol for a few minutes, but that's another story.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh n Bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 13 at 21:24
Hi all, had the van converted to LPG by Tubbs in Tenbury Wells and drove 400 miles on it straight off which went well! Had an issue with power when braking at roundabouts etc, took it back to him and he fiddle which made the problem better but not perfect. He thinks it is something called the ram effect which is to do with the way the air filter takes in air and should be easy to fix. Doing that tomorrow. Has anyone had this issues with their LT? I found that braking heavily led to battery and oil lights flashing and it seemed as if no power was getting through. Anyone had issues with something called the ram effect? My question to all you knowledgeable people is what can I do to set the engine up for optimal efficiency on gas? I read somewhere that colder plugs helped but is there anything else? I reckon we got around 17 mpg with mostly motorway driving on the way up. Can I improve this at all? We have two 45l tanks slung underneath running just under the side door and the other one opposite if anyone is interested. How did you get your tanks in?

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh n Bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 13 at 21:08
Just to let everyone know, we took the van back to Tubbs and spent a few hours working on it with him yesterday. Put new holes in the front air scope and retuned the reducer and this fixed the problem! So apparently LT's can get ram air effect on gas! It also seems that the auto choke might be messing us around but that is a different story! So if anyone's van starts stalling when braking/cornering/etc then it could be this. And Tubbs really knows his stuff (and bought us fish and chips, top bloke!), would definitely advise him to anybody.

LT31iow View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LT31iow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 15 at 14:46
Hi Bryan, 

I contacted VW Breeze in Southampton on another issue, but I asked about LPG conversions, mentioning I was going to get a kit from a Cambridge firm, and he said it could burn out the valves. 

When I talked to the guys at Cambridge months ago, they wanted every specific about my engine, so I assume they take this into account when ordering the kit that your van needs. What you say about the valves, would this be related to what VW Breeze mentioned ?  What do you think ?

Cheers, Rob.
LT31iow View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LT31iow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 15 at 14:48
That was mean't to go onto Bryan Kellys' comment, oop's.
ottoMan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ottoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 15 at 07:57
Originally posted by mat_the_cat mat_the_cat wrote:

The_blue; a bit of information on ignition advance and LPG here.

Just the info I was looking for. Thumbs Up
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 15 at 14:36
I'm not aware of any major problems with LT engines, but there are additives available which sort of drip feed into the inlet side when the engine is running to help with this.
The savings on Lpg are huge and in the long term will cover installtion costs etc, but do the maths first.

ottoMan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ottoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 15 at 15:36
I've done the math and the savings worth every penny spent onn the instalation.
I used LPG on an old Sierra 2.0 litres carburation and worked like a charm. I was always runing on LPG and never had a problem.
ottoMan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ottoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 15 at 04:50
OK, question for AndyT, as I see that he is the expert here: how do you deal with ignition timing ?
The LT I got has electronic ignition installed on the original distributor. If LPG needs more advance in low rpm's and less in high rpm's, how do you solve this ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>