The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cool running and ting...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cool running and ting...
    Posted: 19 Oct 12 at 20:48
Not Jamaican bobsleds but just popped a 80 degree stat into my AAZ syncro van and its gone from a bit to hot maybe to bit too cold maybe! Where should I expect the needle to sit with a 80 stat? It's around a quarter to a third and oil temp is about 90 according to the highly dubious gauges...don't want to over cool....like my heater to be able to strip paint as well but don't want to turn the engine oil into tar either..

Least the old knocker is back on the road after the top hose sprung a leak..went for a test drive to bleed the rad and left my number plate in the grass....again! Need to move that it seems as well!

Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 12 at 21:52
In fairness they don't usually sit much lower than normal, it's only 7degrees.
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 12 at 11:09
That's what I was thinking.....maybe my other stat was high but it was a brand new one off vw 2 years ago...bit odd...going to get the digital thermometer on the job and see what that reveals....can't be many folk worrying that the AAZ is running to cold!
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 12 at 15:21
High resistance in the sensor circuit? Iffy contact somewhere?
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 12 at 00:23
Well...the dash PCb is past it's best but normally the fuel and coolant gauge drop, wobble plug, raise again....it's got a 4 pin sender at the back and I was ok, not touched it much...I do think its running cool, will investigate a little more.
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 12 at 20:49
Ah, 4pin sensor.
Swap for a 2pin T3 one, but it works then.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 12 at 21:38
It works now! And has for 2 years....the 4 pin sensor is two sensors in one housing, what different about the t3 one apart from I will need to find a spot for another one...
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 12 at 03:02
It's still running cool....I'm thinking its to cool! Oil temp won't go past 90 and heater is a little lacking on how it was..gauge I about a third when fully warmed up, bit puzzled really but not leaving the 80 statin my pickup that I do know!
Phil_B View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 12 at 13:45
Hi,

Similar with mine when I switched to a 80 degree in my AAZ conversion. In summer it sits just touching left edge of LED at 70mph. In current weather its about middway between white mark and the LED at same speed. However having just returned yesterday from a 2800 mile trip to the S of France involving many grinding ascents of various passes I was more than happy with the "overcooling". The thing I have particulaty noticed is how variable the temperature of the heater output is from going uphill to going down.

I've not noticed any other side effects, fuel economy for the above trip was just under 32mpg, with no allowance for use of the Erber (approx 40 hours in total)

Cheers..  Phil
1988 T3 Holdsworth Hightop AAZ conversion
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 12 at 17:58
That sounds just like mine, I have ruled out dodgy gauges and senders, replaced the PCb in the dash and my heater is cooler so it is not down to anything but the new stat....I'm happy to think its running cool but the oil temp is about 90... Would of liked to see 100 but then it is winter..will have to take the 80 stat out of tdi though without a doubt...

My 4 pin sensor works fine to by the way, have had one off summat else that gave wrong readings but this one is just perfect so there.
 Post Reply Post Reply