Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > South African T3s
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Droopy rear bench?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 12 at 15:15
Could well be right there Brian. I'd kind of assumed that they would have just the one supplier in the Port Elizabeth area but an outfit as big as VWSA would of course had multiple sources.

I thought your springs looked black painted from this pic (nerdiscope goes into overdrive, must get out more!) but the frame definitely looks like the mangled one from the '95

Edited by silverbullet - 30 Jan 12 at 15:17
Have I missed anything?
silverbullet View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 12 at 12:02
I now have a cunning plan to recycle the mangled r'n'r frame and hinges so the bus will be sleep-able in comfort...I'm going to re-work the centre bench to make the bus a twin-rocker, like an old-skool outback kombi without the plywood!
Not quite what I had in mind originally, but the rear bench hinges can't be raised in any sort of neat fashion afaics
That way all the touring crap can stay over the engine at bed-time!
Have I missed anything?
Wychall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wychall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 12 at 16:31
Ian. Where do you find the time for all these projects of yours. Everytime I look on 80-90 I find another thread with another earth moving project that you are initiating. Do you ever get any other work done?
South African 1991 2.5i 5cyl Microbus - virgin, not campered - piloted by Brian.
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 12 at 17:12
I'm obsessed and unfortunately never satisfied with off the peg offerings! I also have to write stuff down or I forget/get bored/do something else/get forced into doing DIY at home.

Ideas are all well and good but you can't put your hands inside your head as Supertramp said...

I think that if I was running a custom bus shop we'd go broke!

Customers always come, er...first. That's right isn't it? "Homers" are always top priority LOL

Have I missed anything?
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 12 at 09:30
I am also quite mad. One restraining order short of a section 8. I should probably be on Lithium...
Have I missed anything?
Wychall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wychall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 12 at 10:29
Surely madness is a pre-requisite to T3 ownership.
Total, incurable and untreatable madness is confirmed by SA T3 ownership! LOL
South African 1991 2.5i 5cyl Microbus - virgin, not campered - piloted by Brian.
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 12 at 11:57
Glutton for punishment, case in point:

Now I'm thinking obsessively about how to sort the business of safely restraining and locking the slider end of the centre row, if it's on a r'n'r hinge set. Window side is easy, a bit of body reinforcement and use the standard peg and latch. The "free" end is going to be a lot trickier.
Time to butcher the busted twin-slider one methinks...otherwise I'll have to design a locking linkage that doesn't trap fingers Confused
Have I missed anything?
Wychall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wychall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 12 at 12:05
Are you retaining the folding jump seat, or could you use that mechanism reversed to do the job?
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 12 at 12:35
Never thought of that... I was tempted to see if I can keep it (anorak syndrome) but the backplate/picnic table is badly cracked and flapping, the catch cover is missing (rhomboid plastic thing)
Plus we always put the Calypso "camping box" there on trips.
I could do with the fabric off it for future repairs TBH, there's one small hole that needs sorting before it gets worse. I'll never find that fabric over here!

Would be nice to use all-SA bits though Wink
Have I missed anything?
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 12 at 14:52
I've just had a chat with "the man" at Automotive Tanks re: custom made 4-hole at around 1600 x 270 dia. to use ALL the under-bench space. Need to get a sketch in for them to quote, but they are prepared to do 1-offs and short runs...

A Multivan should be able to accommodate a 1500 long as the hinge frame is ~95mm narrower than the 'velle type.

I now need to find out the dimensions of the standard 4-hole valve cover and what angle to mount it at (52 or 45 degree) to clear the firewall and seat frame.

Edited by silverbullet - 06 Feb 12 at 21:19
Have I missed anything?
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 12 at 17:12
Have I missed anything?
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 12 at 17:44
After a lot of thought, measuring and sketching on the raised bench problem and considering everything, including mad ideas like flip-over centre backrests with 4-bar linkages, I'm going for simple and elegant:

The centre bench is going onto a narrowed r'n'r hinge frame, moved to the middle of the vehicle (not biased to the offside)  and turned around to face rearward. I'll get a CDS tube TIG welded to carry the catch pegs and seat belt mounts between the B posts buy our tame fabby.

This will be a bit like a Devon retro-inspired Aussie kombi interior, with a second locker under the bench. All our gear can go in the back over the engine, I can then have a removable headrest bar for the rear bench that will help to keep all the clobber in the back, like a gun rack...

So the kids can kick each other's shins while playing on DS's, the engine cover is the kitchen space when out and about and the hatch keeps the rain off the Chef. Job's a good un and it's not been bastardized into a camper!

OK, so no walk-through convenience but who actually does that? Just about impossible for me anyway, what with the a/c ducting and the fact that I'm 6'3"...

Pics once I get stuck in!
Have I missed anything?
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 12 at 21:57
This reversed seat is going on a bit, but to return to the original subject matter, proof positive that a 270 dia tank will fit without removing the seat base cross tube (does need to be straight though, not cranked). Seat prop will need removing (like anyone uses them):

But you will need to mod. the seat base to get rid of the daft cranked brace, for a straight one:

Edited by silverbullet - 27 Mar 12 at 14:39
Have I missed anything?
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 12 at 14:37
It's coming together slowly...eventually I'll get the jig made so I can build the new seat base from 25 sq. x 2, instead of trying to perch it on the cut-down original (which is at the wrong angle anyway)

Have I missed anything?
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 12 at 19:40
This should make for a better night's kip...

Full construction details here http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/IanHolman/P4081193.jpg
Have I missed anything?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12