The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > South African T3s
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Electric pump in cooling system

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wychall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric pump in cooling system
    Posted: 30 Dec 11 at 19:58
Hi Folks. Can anyone tell me the function of the electric pump in the cooling system of a 2.5i Microbus? Also how and when should it work? I'm struggling to get any heat out of the heater and was wondering if this has anything to do with it. The pump works when connected on the bench but I've never known it work in situ.
Thanks in hope...........
Brian.
South African 1991 2.5i 5cyl Microbus - virgin, not campered - piloted by Brian.
mitch993 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitch993 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 11 at 21:35

Mine runs when its parked after a good run, I guess its to keep the coolant flowing around the system till the heat has droped to a safe level, (it stops running on its own after some time) Wink

Paul Mitchell, SA 2.6 microbus
Wychall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wychall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 11 at 21:43
Thanks Mitch. That makes sense, both in it's intended use and why I haven't heard mine run. Just replaced the thermostat as I haven't seen the needle climb above cold yet. Now I just need to clear the airlock in the heater matrix.
B.
South African 1991 2.5i 5cyl Microbus - virgin, not campered - piloted by Brian.
mitch993 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitch993 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 11 at 22:18

When I fitted a new heater control valve, I noticed it was'nt fully open when the control in the cab was on full (I also had low heat from matrix). So I set it up to open fully but then it would not fully close ! My guess is that stroke of the SA control mechanism is shorter the European control mechanism. My solution was to drill a new hole in the control valve arm about 10mm down from the origonal, then locate the wire cable in the new hole, hope this makes sense.

Paul Mitchell, SA 2.6 microbus
TransPorscher View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TransPorscher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 11 at 23:22
The round gear wheel behind the  heater temp knob does jump sprockets, Ian fixed his !! I adjusted the control valve under the heater matrix as Mitch993 has. The coolant electric pump is controlled by the 2 wires in the coolant elbow at top rear of engine. Join them together to check pump/circuit operation. I doubt this affects the heater matrix tho ?

But ?!?!?!?!?!?!   You have recently had an LPG install !!!!   Where and how well ?!?!?!? was the vaporizer installed in ( I'm hoping ??? ) the heater matrix circuit ?  Wink

Edited by TransPorscher - 31 Dec 11 at 02:41
Charlie

Small Moves Big Grooves! WeFunkRadio.com

mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 11 at 00:34
^^^  HERE WE GO!!! Wink

Charles, when you coming over to let me fuck yours up? 
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 11 at 00:44
I have nothing to add thean to ask is your avatar gramatically correct?

Hutchs could say "made of gingerness" and it would sound ok, Charlies could say "made of charlie"
 but 'made of south africa' ?
Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TransPorscher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 11 at 02:43
Originally posted by mrhutch mrhutch wrote:

^^^  HERE WE GO!!! Wink

What u saying ?? 

This isn't going to be another "slagging off LPG installers thread" I'm just answering the question, alreet !!!! LOL

I mite be over end of Jan to Hutch towers.................Wink

Charlie

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TransPorscher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 11 at 02:46
Originally posted by ELVIS ELVIS wrote:

Charlies could say "made of charlie"

No that was my old 'nosey' neighbour during a 'blizzard'  !!!! LOL

PS. I take it you've seen the i-snort app ?? Wink

Edited by TransPorscher - 31 Dec 11 at 02:47
Charlie

Wychall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wychall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 11 at 09:21
Mitch - Yes, I fully understand about shortening the throw of the valve arm. I will disconnect and set on high initially 'cus my prime problem at the moment is no water in the matrix, just air!

Charlie - I've have previously read about Ian's prob, and thought I had checked that out. However, Mitch's reply above means I will be doing a more in depth check shortly. The vaporiser connections are tees into both flow and return of the heater pipes just below the firewall. Incidently, I have just finished fitting a gas powered ram into the K-Jet as the electric solenoid was intermittent. The ram was intended for a BMW. Bit long and hangs out the bottom of the airbox but works!

Elvis - Agree with your comment on the avatar. However, it is actually an official SA Government emblem from their Board of Trade or similar. Perhaps it loses something in a translation from Afrikaans? It is just as I grabbed it from Google Images.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TransPorscher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 12 at 03:30
Glad you sorted a gas powered ram in the end ! This is very important for other 2.5 ltr K jet owners who are thinking about LPG conversions. Shame there isn't a source for these ! If there is post a link up. Wink
Charlie

Wychall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wychall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 12 at 18:58
Unfortunately, mine was the last from the surplus parts bin. At least it widens the search possibilities to know that other vehicle kit can be adapted. My install now looks similar to the pics that you emailed of yours.
Rhgbristol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhgbristol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 13 at 21:12
The electric pump circulates cooling water after the engine has stopped if required to get residual heat out of the engine block.
It is controlled by a simple thermal switch, in the water pipe elbow at the top rear of the engine, alongside the other sensor that drives the temperature gauge in the dash rev counter.

Check it by shorting this swich out with ignition off, and you should hear the pump run.

I had a problem with my 1994 sa 2.5, whereby pump leaked and thermal switch was permanently open circuit.

Both pump and switch are available.

You can test switch by removing it and heating it in a saucepan of cooking oil.
It closes at around 110 deg C
Wychall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wychall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 13 at 21:24
Thanks for your clarification on this matter, but where were you when I asked the question some 16 months ago? Clap
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhgbristol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 13 at 21:48
Only just joined the forum today!
Wychall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wychall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 13 at 21:51
Excuses, excuses..............

Oh, and welcome to the madhouse!

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhgbristol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 13 at 22:10
That bus has certainly driven me 'mad' in trying to track down parts - but so rewarding to drive.
That 5 cylinder audi engine is silky smooth, and the vehicle despite harking back to a mid 70s designed commercial, is a comfortable ride - as good if not better than many newer designed things i've owned or driven.
 Post Reply Post Reply