The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Exhaust manifold gaskets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhaust manifold gaskets
    Posted: 16 Jul 10 at 09:16
I'm off on holiday in a week's time in the van, and have noticed a slight chuffing from the exhaust manifold under load. Presumably just a gasket (of which I have a set). From memory it doesn't look like a big job - undo the bolts to the exhaust, bolts/studs to the head, turbo feed and return pipes and it should be off. I'm slightly worried about a manifold to head stud/bolt snapping, I've never had that happen to me yet so I must be well overdue given all the stories you hear!

Are the manifolds prone to cracking? (It's a 1993 ACL engine). Any other nuggets of wisdom from someone who's done the job before? Obviously lots of penetrating oil...
Should I wait till we get back?!

Edited by mat_the_cat - 16 Jul 10 at 09:35
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 10 at 11:17
Originally posted by mat_the_cat mat_the_cat wrote:

I'm off on holiday in a week's time in the van, and have noticed a slight chuffing from the exhaust manifold under load.

Should I wait till we get back?!

I would personally, why tempt fate for something that shouldn't be a problem for a couple of weeks? why risk snapping a stud and all the pi$$ing about that will entail a week before your holiday?
NIL ILLIGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 10 at 12:57
speaking of exhaust gaskets, anyone got a part number for the gasket which goes between the manifold and the down pipe[?].  i'm thinking of replacing mine too, before i go on my jollydays, as it's about 1% gasket and 99% repair putty at the mo', and leaks like the proverbial...

bibblybobs View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bibblybobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 10 at 11:41
I had to do this last year, twas a nightmare job. On the petrol you have to remove inlet manifold which is a real pig to get to, then the exhaust manifold nuts and they were rusted solid and had to be cut off. Then all refitted with new gaskets and new nuts & studs.

I cannot speak for a diesel engine though.
1984 LT31 2.4 petrol Camper
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 10 at 11:54
Hmmm, I do have a history of doing silly things just before a trip - new pistons, barrels and heads and carbs on my bike 2 days before a 2000 mile trip and last year a new head on another vehicle 2 weeks before a 4000 mile charity event round Franceā€¦ But in this case I think I won't tempt fate and I'll wait till we get back!

Thanks for the replies folks and this link may help you Madra.
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
 Post Reply Post Reply