FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedbrakes again

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: brakes again
    Posted: 18 Apr 07 at 20:08
im stuck with my brakes.. again... can anyone help?

it failed the mot on poor back brakes so changed shoes and bled system, couldn't quite get all the air out of the first side - so then went over to the other side and noticed a bolt that secures the cylinder to the back plate was broken so replaced the cylinder, then tried bleeding. After running about a litre or more maybe of fluid through the line im still getting quite large bubbles coming through...

Do i just need to persist - or does it sound like there is air entering the system somewhere - hense poor back breaks to start with??? where would i start to look for air entering the sys?

The front ones are spot on but i've been told that the front and rear brakes run on seperate systems.

Any advice appriciated
tomschute View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 07 at 20:39
just spend 3 hours bleeding the back lines !!!!

got all the air out but now the pedal feels more spongy than before
tomschute View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 07 at 10:55
ok so now i think i have it - the master cylinder is leaking - and i'm told by everyine i try that they no longer stock seal kits - anyone know anywhere I might get a kit? im looking at about £100 for a new master cylinder!
tomschute View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 07 at 19:43
here's an update on my exciting week with nackered brakes...

I've been told that if i pump the brakes when not running - then start engine with brake held - if the pedal then falls it's my servo - and it does.

I have had problems before with leaking servo so looks like i need to replace mine. VW priced a new unit at £450

Anyone know where I can get one a little cheeper...
AndySimpson View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Mister Jager!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 07 at 19:41
If the pedal sinks when started the servo is doing its job. Sounds like more bleeding needed or a master cylinder or rear shoe adjustment.
tomschute View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 07 at 08:47
Originally posted by AndySimpson AndySimpson wrote:

If the pedal sinks when started the servo is doing its job.

how so?

there is no adjustment in he rear shoes, except for the hand brake, and thats auto adjusted...
mike38 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 07 at 07:55
Andy is right if the pedal drops when starting then the servo is working fine .Did my rear brakes at the weekend new cylinders/shoes and flexi and just left the bleed nipples open while putting the rest together then nipped them up and all seems fine but what i did notice is theres a bleed nipple ontop of the compensator valve maybe you have got air in there?next job i am dreading is front flexi brake pipes because if i get air in there the bleed nipples on the front calipers look like they will snap off
tomschute View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 07 at 21:37
Originally posted by mike38 mike38 wrote:

Andy is right if the pedal drops when starting then the servo is working fine .Did my rear brakes at the weekend new cylinders/shoes and flexi and just left the bleed nipples open while putting the rest together then nipped them up and all seems fine but what i did notice is theres a bleed nipple ontop of the compensator valve maybe you have got air in there?next job i am dreading is front flexi brake pipes because if i get air in there the bleed nipples on the front calipers look like they will snap off

hmmm, well we'll soon see - have a new valve on the way as the nipple has been sheared off on mine so couldn't bleed that... but also have a replacement servo / master cylinder on the way - so maybe for sale if it wasn't those

yeah watch those nipples on the front - luckly got all mine free.
 Post Reply Post Reply