obviously.

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 07 at 22:54

Originally posted by Tee3 Tee3 wrote:

Audi 5 pot is the only conversion I would consider.

I once thought that a Subaru was the way to go, and cosidered it when the water jacket seals needed doing on my old van.
It was Simon who made me realise that if i was in the middle of some foreign country, and my great, super powerful ultra reliable jap engined german van stopped playing, it would be very unlikely that anyone would go near it with a barge pole... VW wouldnt... Subaru wouldnt... your average joe garage would be terrified of it.
 Whereas with a VW unit, i could just have it in the nearest VW dealer and they'd sort it.

have to agree.. i luv the 5cyl audi engines.. great and strong with the great torque.. plus good for mega miles..

only downside to them is that big lump of weight even further out back..

WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 07 at 23:02

Originally posted by mr bricolage mr bricolage wrote:

In fact most people in the Subaru garages i have spoken to can't wait to get their mitts on a VW with a scooby motor and have been more than happy to help.

I'm not sure how many garages on the continent feel the same, obviously someone you've spoken to has checked

A. have you ever been to France?!  Trying to get them to do anything is hard work nevermind owt outta the ordinary!

B. Can't really vouch for the rest of Europe, but having lived in Chamonix twice, I can't ever recall seeing a Subaru nevermind a Subaru garage, and if they are going to be anywhere they are gunna be in the hills right?

probably me not looking for them aswell, so they may be there, I just never take any notice!

mr bricolage View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 07 at 23:19
Originally posted by Baxter Baxter wrote:

A. have you ever been to France?!  Trying to get them to do anything is hard work nevermind owt outta the ordinary!

Ummm yes quite a lot really. I guess "mr bricolage" doesn't mean much to you if you've lived in France.

Large French DIY chain

Edited by mr bricolage
Euramobil Terestra
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 07 at 23:39
mellow cat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 07 at 04:25

I think it's interesting, in the years to come, it will be unusual and/or rare to have a factory power plant.  Whats funny is, I think it will be way "cooler" to have and unmolested T3 over some bastard motor swap.  In fact, I am beginning to think motor swaps, back to factory, will become in vogue.  Is my bias showing? 

I suppose it will be like finding a bone stock 83' 84' GTI/golf that has not been abused.

MC

no, it will never be "finished."
Full Throttle View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 07 at 09:05

Only perfectionist's will want to go back to a standard lump after experiencing more power from a modern engine.

Cant wait to get the TDi back in the van.

1.9DG slow, 1.6TD slow IMHO

VWlewis View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 07 at 10:40
As a mechanical engineer let me chip in .. (no pun intended) ... VW engine product development over the years has taken a evolution route - this is obvious from the boxer engine which started in T1's (1131cc 25bhp from 1945-1953) with a single carburettor and ended in 1991 in Europe with a T3 (2.1litre, 112 bhp) as injection engines.  See details here :

The VW (+Audi) engine development team has continued to show this evolution strategy in the water cooled 5 cylinder engines and the TDi technology.

My point is that this strategy has delivered increasingly reliable and more powerful engines.  Anyone wanting to raise the power output of an engine is going to sacrifice reliability.  (Look at Formula 1 engines - 2.4 litres.. 740 bhp! but the life is one race before a rebuild!)

For me the only answer is to transplant a standard more powerful engine into a T3.. but make sure the whole drivetrain can take the power (gearbox, clutch, driveshafts - especially splines)  The South African VW 2.3i 2.5i & 2.6i engines might be interesting!

Maybe you can increase the power output from a 2.1 litre wasserboxer but if you use a worn engine block and used parts, beware! - the life of these is shorter than a new engine since they have already seen a lot of stress and hot/cold cycles which kill engines.  The remanufactured engine industry know this and change the highly stressed worn out components .. but this is not a cheap exercise.  Even so, remanufactured engines don't last as long as new ones IMHO.

The End

Edited by VWlewis
Dr. T15 - Took test in a T2, drove a T1, T4, T5 and now run a T3 - and I am not Tee'd off
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 07 at 11:51

Originally posted by VWlewis VWlewis wrote:

As a mechanical engineer let me chip in .. (no pun intended) ... VW engine product development over the years has taken a evolution route - this is obvious from the boxer engine which started in T1's (1200 cc, 44 bhp?) with a single carburettor and ended in T3 (2.1litre, 112 bhp) as injection engines.  See details here :

1131cc 25bhp from 1945-1953

For me the only answer is to transplant a standard more powerful engine into a T3.. but make sure the whole drivetrain can take the power (gearbox, clutch, driveshafts - especially splines)  The South African VW 2.4i & 2.6i engines might be interesting!

2.3i,2.5i and 2.6i engines in South African vans.

VWlewis View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 07 at 13:52
Thanks G60 Steve - I know you have owned a few SA ones!
Dr. T15 - Took test in a T2, drove a T1, T4, T5 and now run a T3 - and I am not Tee'd off
Interzone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 07 at 14:20

The South African VW 2.3i 2.5i & 2.6i engines might be interesting!

They are...
TRUNDLETRUC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 07 at 20:39

Just to change the slant on this discussion a bit!

I am changing my 1.9dg engine to a 2.1dj engine over the winter, however, I don't want the Trundletruck to go particularly fast. I just want to be able to get up hills better and travel at 70/75 all day, but above all I would like to go much further for the same amount of petrol and try and be more environmentally friendly!

When I rebuild this engine, that is sitting in the garage, what do I need to do to it? Has anyone got any suggestions about chipping, exhausts, valves, etc? Is there any way of running the dj on regular fuel without retarding the ignition and losing some power?

It would appear that all the engine changing options end up with using more petrol and I don't need masses of power anyway.

All I want is a long legged, reliable camper. Any ideas?

Trundletruc
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 07 at 20:46
gas it.

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

Azzaaaaaaaa.... View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 07 at 21:53
2.2 5 cylinder conversion is the way to go!!!there is a company in the Us of A that do a full kit short block engine mounts exhaust and wiring loom for approx $2500 ...go figure....in pounds with shipping thats fook all....will try and find the company that offer this kit...I researched this my self when I had a bee in my bonnet about bolting one of these lumps in my t3....just imagine you can tune these 2.2 turbo lumps up too 800 bhp...now thats bonkersoh and they sound far better than any scooby engine!!!Fact!!!
Yea! What ever....!?
Kent Joker View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 07 at 22:06

Azzaaaaaaaaaaaa what were you intending to do about a gear box?

Keith

1990 PD TDI Westy Atlantic
Azzaaaaaaaa.... View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 07 at 23:02
He He..I wasnt intending to run one with that sort of power...I know these engines can with some serious money thrown at em put out this kinda power....a mate of mine had a ur quattro that had a lightly tuned motor that was pumping out 380 bhp you could build a box that would cope with that kinda power and remain reliable!!I mean in standard form they put out 212bhp and the none turbo about 150bhp just a question of what you want it for ...!!??
Yea! What ever....!?
A.Muppet View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
honarary welshman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 07 at 18:26
Originally posted by Baxter Baxter wrote:

The best I could find was Vege, who don't offer this engine but reluctantly saisd they would take an engine and rebuild it, to the tune of £3095 plus VAT!

Now i didn't spend that much time looking, made a few phone calls to the usual suspects but has anyone ever bought a recon/rebuild Subaru engine?

just found this place on the net, they say they do scooby rebuilts:

http://www.foresterspares.co.uk/

and i think this place does too:

http://www.gradea-subaru.co.uk/

Laughing all the way in a Bluestar
Commencal Meta 5.5.2

Pace RC200 F2

Specialized Allez Sport
rogerthecat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
official aa mascot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 07 at 18:50
Cheers Ben, the latter ones are no more than 10 mins away from me and were recommended by a local farmer who is into Subarus.
Was over there this morning so may nip over either tomorrow or early next week.

T3 Westy, T3 Syncro (the ScoobyVelle), New Beetle Cab, 2 x Polos - I have too many projects
A.Muppet View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
honarary welshman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 07 at 18:59

Originally posted by Tee3 Tee3 wrote:

Audi 5 pot is the only conversion I would consider.

I once thought that a Subaru was the way to go, and cosidered it when the water jacket seals needed doing on my old van.
It was Simon who made me realise that if i was in the middle of some foreign country, and my great, super powerful ultra reliable jap engined german van stopped playing, it would be very unlikely that anyone would go near it with a barge pole... VW wouldnt... Subaru wouldnt... your average joe garage would be terrified of it.
 Whereas with a VW unit, i could just have it in the nearest VW dealer and they'd sort it.

Thats what convinced me that whilst on paper the subaru conversion might tick all the boxes... the reality of using one could be a nightmare.

And i just couldnt live with the mile of wire coiled up under the back seat

Arn't audi 5 pots really crappy on fuel tho?  In the for sale forum on here some1 was selling a 2.3 5 pot quattro coz it was expensive to run.  Sticking that engine into something brick shaped would surely give even crappier mpg?  One of the reasons i like the idea of subaru conv is the reported 35mpg... unless people have been lying to me!!!!  What mpg would you expect from a 5 pot conv? 

Laughing all the way in a Bluestar
Commencal Meta 5.5.2

Pace RC200 F2

Specialized Allez Sport
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 07 at 19:09
I used to get 40mpg from my old Santana on a run... and Similar from the Passat I had before that.

No idea what you would get from a Subaru in aa van, but my mate struggles to geT3mpg from his STI

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>