FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSubaru, really the answer?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 07 at 19:28

Originally posted by A.Muppet A.Muppet wrote:

Arn't audi 5 pots really crappy on fuel tho?  In the for sale forum on here some1 was selling a 2.3 5 pot quattro coz it was expensive to run.  Sticking that engine into something brick shaped would surely give even crappier mpg?  One of the reasons i like the idea of subaru conv is the reported 35mpg... unless people have been lying to me!!!!  What mpg would you expect from a 5 pot conv? 

My SA 2.5i 5 cylinder Caravelle does approx 30mpg and just think if i had it LPG'd...that would be 136bhp,105mph and equivalent to approx 60mpg....so not that crappy.

rogerthecat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
official aa mascot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 07 at 19:34
Originally posted by A.Muppet A.Muppet wrote:

One of the reasons i like the idea of subaru conv is the reported 35mpg... unless people have been lying to me!!!!

It is likely to be good - mine is a shagged 2.2, pushing a Syncro and I get abouT3 and that is hoofing it hard.
Once I get a better motor in it should be able to more accurately record the mpg figs.
T3 Westy, T3 Syncro (the ScoobyVelle), New Beetle Cab, 2 x Polos - I have too many projects
Vanorak
Vanorak
official aa mascot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 07 at 19:40
tw3nty f1ve mpg - bliddy word filter
T3 Westy, T3 Syncro (the ScoobyVelle), New Beetle Cab, 2 x Polos - I have too many projects
T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 07 at 20:55

the early mechanical inj 5cyl engines are a not as good as the later electronic inj mpg wise... but they still aint bad.. when i ran my old 2.0 5cyl passat down to spain it made 35mpg + and that was a older one.

stick a K&N on them and they sound great.....

WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
flightpath View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 07 at 11:31
I maybe a little late in commenting on this thread but, if the Subaru Conversion wasn't so reliable, cheap and engines being so redly available for affordable money than our friends over the pond would not have adopted this conversion as the conversion of choice.
100's of conversions have been completed over there with all Subaru engine variants and I have spoken to many people on the phone in the states regarding the conversion.
The forum http//www.subaruvanagon.com bears testament to the reliability and cost effectiveness  of the conversion.
I would never have possibly looked at this conversion if the original 2.1 WBX was cheap to replace and guaranteed an :
  • Increase in engine power
  • Increased mileage per gallon
  • Extremely smooth running
  • Cheap to replace
  • Cruise @ 80mph all day and all night
  • Easy to service
  • Removed 90% of water pipe work and joints from the engine bay
  • Lasts sooooo long
Subaru are total committed to the FLAT FOUR configuration of engine so you will never be short of a replacement engine.
My answer to this whole thread is.
BUY A RUNNING CAR THAT YOU CAN SEE AND DRIVE.
FOR £1000 YOU CAN BUY A LOW MILEAGE CAR  e.g 2.5 16V OUTBACK.
GET A GARAGE TO REMOVE THE ENGINE AND LOOM.
GET RICHARD JONES TO CONVERT THE 2.5 LOOM AND TEST
THEN SWAP.
FOR AN APPROX COST OF £2000 YOU WILL NEVER LOOK BACK. 

Of course the 2.1 WBX is the ethical path but if you do go that route then get an original brand new VW plastic wrapped unit direct from VW.

Graph courtesy of www.subaruvanagon.com

Vanorak
Vanorak
official aa mascot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 07 at 11:40
Have also been in regular contact with the guys on this forum and they have been very helpful in what needs to be done to get the ScoobyVelle sorted properly.

Some of their later spec conversions are very impressive and the quality of work is great. Saw a couple when over there in May and the have done the job properly.

If the 2.1 in the Westy does die (only got 37K on it at the mo) I may be tempted to go the later engine route.
Ziegel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 07 at 11:50

Quote if the Subaru Conversion wasn't so reliable, cheap and engines being so redly available for affordable money than our friends over the pond would not have adopted this conversion as the conversion of choice.

Hasn't this got more to do with their wasserboxer cylinder heads dissolving, which doesn't seem to be an issue in the UK. Fuel problems?

• Cheap to replace
  • Easy to service
  • My DJ does that, (Admitedly Shortened List) + I can check and fill the oil without removing the hatch. Why is the subaru cheap to replace, they cost the same as a WBX secondhand don't they?

Quote Of course the 2.1 WBX is the ethical path but if you do go that route then get an original brand new VW plastic wrapped unit direct from VW.

Not sure what ethics have got to do with it, but I don't think these 2.1's are available from VW anymore, but could be mis-informed. Why are all rebuilds so bad?

Oops came across a bit grumpy that, sorry!

Groupie
    Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 07 at 12:07
    Yes correct the Early 2.5 quad cams had head issues from what Iam led to believe  but they like most manufacturers have resolved them. I think they were head gasket problems.
    This was a reason why I took the middle road and went for the bullet proof EJ22.
    Yes I can also fill and check my oil from the rear hatch now as I have fitted the conversion parts of which are all available off the shelf from the USA.
    To be fair It was a couple of years ago when I checked regarding original 2.1's but the Commercial dealer Cordwallis Heathrow at the time checked and they were still available plastic wrapped on on the shelf in Germany.
    The Ethics are I am a firm believer in a VW engine for a VW and Ford for Ford, but I am also open to new ideas.
    Seeing as the Subaru is the original German design and brought up to modern day standards and employing Jap reliability it just ticked the boxes for me.
    Ziegel View Drop Down
    Groupie
    Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 07 at 12:24

Nah, I meant the wbx had head problems Stateside - kept dissolving or sommat

Why's it the original German design? Cos it's a flat four?

Groupie
    Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 07 at 14:13
    Yes the original Flat Four configuration used by VW.
    shep View Drop Down
    Yardie
    Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 07 at 15:07
    You can still get new engines from VW about £1,300 +VAT.
    Wolverhampton.
    Vanorak
    Vanorak
    official aa mascot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 07 at 15:13
    Originally posted by shep shep wrote:

You can still get new engines from VW about £1,300 +VAT.

Are these 2.1?
    busbuddy View Drop Down
    Vanorak
    Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 07 at 19:24
    Originally posted by Ghia Ghia wrote:

I'd love to install a 1.8T 20V engine in a syncro as the power band is exactly where you want, for example the 1996 Audi A4 150bhp has max torque 155 ftlbs from 1750-4600rpm! Not a buzz box at all. This car also is throttle cable operated and doesn't have an immobiliser unlike post 1997 cars. It's probably the only 1.8T 20V engine which would fit due to the later engine blocks having a different design which incorporates the waterpump internally.

It should be a quiet engine, powerful and reliable with diagnostics which most vw/audi garages can now plug into.

Obviously the Diesel setup would be needed but there would be some cost with the chargecooler/piping but the gearing would probably cope albeit from a TD or 2.1 Petrol.

Whether it would fit under the standard engine lid or not remains to be seen.

MG

my question and yours have been answered coz it's been done already http://www.stephansautohaus.com/vanagon-division/  found this on 'beetsport' member profile after seeing his syncro in bus park and noticing a 1.8t badge on the back.

looks good to me

Buttercup View Drop Down
    Groupie
    Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 07 at 20:02
    Originally posted by flightpath flightpath wrote:

I maybe a little late in commenting on this thread but, if the Subaru Conversion wasn't so reliable, cheap and engines being so redly available for affordable money than our friends over the pond would not have adopted this conversion as the conversion of choice.
    100's of conversions have been completed over there with all Subaru engine variants and I have spoken to many people on the phone in the states regarding the conversion.
    The forum http//www.subaruvanagon.com bears testament to the reliability and cost effectiveness  of the conversion.
    I would never have possibly looked at this conversion if the original 2.1 WBX was cheap to replace and guaranteed an :
    • Increase in engine power
    • Increased mileage per gallon
    • Extremely smooth running
    • Cheap to replace
    • Easy to service
    • Removed 90% of water pipe work and joints from the engine bay
    • Lasts sooooo long
    Subaru are total committed to the FLAT FOUR configuration of engine so you will never be short of a replacement engine.
    My answer to this whole thread is.
    BUY A RUNNING CAR THAT YOU CAN SEE AND DRIVE.
    FOR £1000 YOU CAN BUY A LOW MILEAGE CAR  e.g 2.5 16V OUTBACK.
    GET A GARAGE TO REMOVE THE ENGINE AND LOOM.
    GET RICHARD JONES TO CONVERT THE 2.5 LOOM AND TEST
    THEN SWAP.
    FOR AN APPROX COST OF £2000 YOU WILL NEVER LOOK BACK. 

Of course the 2.1 WBX is the ethical path but if you do go that route then get an original brand new VW plastic wrapped unit direct from VW.

Graph courtesy of www.subaruvanagon.com

What about those run an Air Cooled motor and don't want radiator grills in the front of the truck?
    If the Scoob was air-cooled i'd have one already!
    '89 LHD DoKa - Buttercup 2
    Yradave View Drop Down
    Yardie
    Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 07 at 20:35

Originally posted by Buttercup Buttercup wrote:

What about those run an Air Cooled motor and don't want radiator grills in the front of the truck?
    If the Scoob was air-cooled i'd have one already!

A while back there was a split with a subaru engine in it. He'd put the a couple of radiators between the chassis rails and that apparebtly worked fine.

Plu you can always put a faux spare wheel on the front to hide the grille like those horrific Brazilian bays that Danbury do.

Fastbus View Drop Down
    Yardie
    Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 07 at 20:36
    Ain't that graph for an 2.1 cat model? {USA spec}
    It looks a bit down on it's power to me compaired to UK models.
    Plus ain't there fuel weaker than ours.
    2.1 dj's run better on 98 ron acording to VW.
    USA only has 95 for street use.

Edited by Fastbus
    1988 T3 Caravelle 20v project!
    1999 T4 2.5tdi dragon green caravelle
    2006 T5 130 van
    72 1302s wbx turbo
    73 Apple Green GT Beetle
    Karman Ghia chassis race car
    Groupie
    Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 07 at 22:09
    Yes that's right all figures quoted are cat based and there fuel is of a poorer octane.
    Of course this is great because I do not need the Cat so in the bin that went, and fitted a high flow exhaust system and of course the higher octane fuel.
    So if the graph was drawn using UK based figures the power from the Subaru motor would be even better.
    Oh and the 2.1 would be on the 112hp.
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234