The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ok so more dash wiring woes. Someone help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 08 at 19:42

Originally posted by AngeloEvs AngeloEvs wrote:

Interesting that you have pin 14 connected to red and white whereas my pin 14 is free.  Pin 14 appears to be for diesel and your connector has it wired.  Has the van been converted from diesel to petrol?

as far as we can trace, no. it has a full service history. only two owners from new and one was my father in law

Bigherbie View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigherbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 08 at 19:50

The red white wire is often fitted on petrols but it only goes back as far as the fusebox.

thecat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 08 at 19:53
Have just noticed I have missed pin 8. Have added below
Originally posted by thecat thecat wrote:

Have translated below as best I could. Have also noticed that pins 4 and 6 have a link between them which I found under the connector
Originally posted by thecat thecat wrote:

Found the info on the back of the blue pcb. This is exactly what it says next to each pin word for word

Need to translate next

1= instr bel = instrument panel lights

2= fernlicht = headlight

3= all gem = earth

4= frei (temp) = free (temp)

5= uhr = clock

6= temp = temp

7= tank = tank

8 = all gem = earth

9= KL1 =?

10= blinkerkonter = indicator?

11= ladekonter = ?

12= 1.8 bar = ?

13= 0.3 bar = ?

14= diesel/oxs/cat =?

thecat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 08 at 19:54

So I have two earth connections. Pin 8 and Pin 3

Whats that all about??

AngeloEvs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngeloEvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 08 at 20:22

My 87 1.9DG has the horizontal conx.  On what basis did the person say that he had the correct binnacle for your van since the others will not function? I would use a standard binnacle and try to determine why it doesn' function, particularly since the one you are trying to remedy has caused you nothing but problems and started smoking which is a clear sign that it is incompatible.  I would also check to see if the wiring to the connector has been altered to suit the binnacle that was stolen which may not have been the original one fitted. 

thecat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 08 at 20:32

they didnt. I just said I had a 86 model and they said they had the right one. Probably bullshit but at the time I didnt have a clue which one I needed.

We tries two with the vertical connector and had no joy.

Knowing my luck they probably made a one year only version, thats why they stole it!!

thecat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 08 at 20:55

pin 8 goes to right leg of stabilzer. Is that right??

AngeloEvs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngeloEvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 08 at 20:58

The ones that don't work have vertical conx, I thought you said horizontal?  Why not wire the connector as described in the Haynes manual and get a a binnacle that is the common one fitted for a 1.9DG with the horizontal connector. Other than that, send me your binnacle and I will sort it for you on a test bench.

AngeloEvs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngeloEvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 08 at 21:03
Pin 8 is the 12V feed and should go to the stabiliser. Whereabouts are you?

Edited by AngeloEvs
thecat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 08 at 21:09
thecat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 08 at 21:10

Pin 8 is the 12V feed and should go to the stabiliser. Whereabouts are you?

In Gloucester

AngeloEvs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngeloEvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 08 at 21:16
I'm in Evesham this weekend!
thecat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 08 at 21:21

I'm in Evesham this weekend!

not to far away.

AngeloEvs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngeloEvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 08 at 21:29

Email me your tel.no and I will call you tomorrow evening

EvangelusE@aol.com

thecat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 08 at 22:08

Ok will email my number shortly

Incidentaly, why would these clocks have pin 4 = frei (temp) and pin 6 = temp

Two temp pins?????

AngeloEvs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngeloEvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 08 at 22:19
I can only assume that the various model variants had differences. This is why you are having problems matching the current binnacle to your existing connector. The 1.9DG also has a cooling level warning led and this, (on mine) uses the same pin as the temp guage but some variants may have other temperature devices in addition to those already discussed. The Diesel, 2.1's, syncro,etc, may be completely different but they are not covered in the Haynes schematic.
thecat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 08 at 22:32

ok

Have a look at the rear of the tracks in the pic. There seems to be a link track between pins 4 and 6.

???

AngeloEvs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngeloEvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 08 at 22:41
Measure 4 across 6 with the meter, if its linked (pics out of focus) then both or either can be used to connect a device(s) to the temp guage.
thecat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 08 at 22:46

Measure 4 across 6 with the meter, if its linked (pics out of focus) then both or either can be used to connect a device(s) to the temp guage.

Yeah they are def linked

AngeloEvs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngeloEvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 08 at 11:00

OK, I have trawled all the relevant information from this thread and this is how the Binnacle you are working with should be connected to the multipin Conx.

1 Grey and Blue  (panel lights)

2 Blue and white  (Side Light warning lamp)

3 Brown  (Earth)

4 Free no conx

5 Red  (Clock)

6 Yell +red  (temp sender)

7 Lilac + Blk (Fuel Gauge sender)

8   Black  +12V (* read my note below)

9 Green  (rev counter)

10 Blue/red  (Turn Indicators)

11 Blue    (Alternator warning Lamp)

12 Yell   (Oil Pressure sender unit)

13 Blue and Black   (Oil pressure lamp/buzzer)

14 Red +white  (Not listed)

This is the correct wiring based on the evidence so far including the information on the pcb.  Interesting that you connected red (the clock feed) to pin 4 (the temp gauge) doing that will cancel any movement of the temp gauge needle, the red must be connected to pin 5 or the temp gauge will cease to function.  Hope this helps!  the wiring above is how it should be for your binnacle, the only difference is 4 and 5 and this explains why your gauges were reading with ignition off - RED must go to pin 5 and all other pin connections are standard as shown above. Pin 8 (black) is normally the 12v feed, you say that the pcb lables this as (earth) just check that the pcb track from pin 8 does not connect to pin 3 (earth) by performing a continuity test. If Pin 8 connects to pin 3 (earth) then it may be that pin 14 is the 12v supply for your binnacle. I doubt this is the case  but best to eliminate this possibilty 

If, after wiring as above, the temp gauge still does not work then either the gauge or the sender are the problem and you should focus on these.

Edited by AngeloEvs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>