The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ok so more dash wiring woes. Someone help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 08 at 17:30

cheers for that. Will have one last go and if it fails will get in touch

thecat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 08 at 21:58

Hmm still no joy. Could the sender be faulty. What can I do to check the sender.

What a bummer. Everything working but the temp gauge! Even the clock keeps good time!

AngeloEvs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngeloEvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 08 at 23:25

Its either the sender or the gauge. The sender is just a resistor whose value changes with temperature.   The sender can be checked by measuring the resistance from pin 6 to earth and then measuring the resistance across the sender in the engine bay. You should get the same reading with both tests (ignition off but helpful if engine is warm). If the values read are different then the the loom could have a problem.  Alternatively, with ignition on, briefly ground pin 6 or 4 to earth and the temp gauge needle should read maximum.

You can also use a binnacle that has the horizontal conx but move the red wire from pin 5 to pin 4.   

thecat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 08 at 08:25

Originally posted by AngeloEvs AngeloEvs wrote:

You can also use a binnacle that has the horizontal conx but move the red wire from pin 5 to pin 4.   

Thats the one we have, the horizontal one

thecat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 08 at 11:42

Could I fit a dipstick temp sender and dash mounted gauge??

AngeloEvs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngeloEvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 08 at 18:05

Check the sender first, it's located on the thermostat housing, 2 connections, brown (earth) and the other yellow +red. Take them off and  measure the resistance across the sender terminals. Set the meter to measure up to 10K or there abouts as a starting point. You should get a reading much less than that.   As I said, either the gauge is damaged, the sender is open circuit or you have a bad connection from the sender to the instrument cowling conx, Also make sure pin 6 is in contact with the track by performing a continuity test between pin 6 and the temp guage, ribbon cables are notorious for causing poor conections.  The fuel gauge works so the votage stabiliser is OK since both gauges are connected to it.

Edited by AngeloEvs
thecat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 08 at 18:32

Thanks. Have left my meter at work so will have to throw something together.

thecat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 08 at 12:02

Checked pin and track to temp gauge on clocks and its fine. Checked for resistance between pin 6 and earth and got a reading but cant see no red/yellow wire anywhere in the engine bay. where exactly do i locate the temp sender in engine bay??

Edited by thecat
thecat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 08 at 14:29

oh and i replaced the temp gauge with another that is working to rule it out. gauge is fine

AngeloEvs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngeloEvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 08 at 16:58

When you say  gauge is fine do you mean all is oK now?  I

thecat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 08 at 17:17

sorry , no I meant that the gauge unit itself is working when I test it with low voltage. im now thinking its a temp sender fault or wiring fault. Where do I locate the sender unit as I cant see the yellow/red wire from the engine bay

Edited by thecat
AngeloEvs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngeloEvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 08 at 17:23
The sender should be in the vicinity of the thermostat housing.
thecat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 08 at 17:26

Im afraid I dont know enough about these vans yet!!! Where is the location exactly?? Do I need to get under the van or is it in the engine bay. I have had a look around but cant really make out a great deal!!!

AngeloEvs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngeloEvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 08 at 17:42
In the engine bay, look towards the rear left where a black box is mounted vertically, just below and to the right of that you will see a black tower like fitting with a dome on top and a water hose attached, you will also see wires going to it. Thats the sender!
thecat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 08 at 17:58

right found the sender and disconnected the plug. I shorted the wires together and the gauge went up.

Is that a sender fault??

AngeloEvs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngeloEvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 08 at 18:04
Yes! Sounds like the senders had it!  You could try measuring across the sender terminals after the engine has been warmed up and see if you get a reading of a few ohms, can't give you an exact figure because never had to check one before or replace one. If the guage works when you short the leads together then the sender sounds as though it open circuit.
thecat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 08 at 18:08

cheers dude. I think we are slowly getting somewhere. Appreciate all your advice and everyone elses. Will order a new one. Any recommendations on best place to purchase another? Have heard GSF is not worth using for them??

AngeloEvs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngeloEvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 08 at 18:12

Post a new thread asking for advice on a replacement sender or send a message to Baxter.  Probably recommend VW and he may even know the part number.

thecat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 08 at 18:41

cheers. will give him a nudge

thecat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 08 at 19:38

Changed the sender and still nothing

I noticed 2 senders plugged into the thermostat. I changed the sender with the red and yellow wire connected to it. Not getting the needle to move on the gauge at all

What next

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>