The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problems with mains hook-up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VeeDunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problems with mains hook-up
    Posted: 16 Jun 08 at 21:04

I'm sure someone can help me with this one -

I have a 1980 Westy which I want to hook-up to mains electricity, the problem is that I am not getting any power into the van. I have searched on here for any info but I'm still stuck?
On the outside of the van I have a square white flap and when I lift it up there is a round socket with two pins. I have a hook-up lead that I got with the van which has the corresponding male socket, and on the other end of the lead I have used the blue sockets and a standard UK plug so that I can plug it in at home.
I have had a look under one of the cupboards here
and I have found two small 10amp/250v fuses that are fitted in to the back of the socket inside the van.
They don't appear to be blown but I will change them next, but if the fuses are OK does anyone have any ideas why I am not getting any power? Are these fuses fitted to early vans only as I haven't read anything about them before, I don't have the trip/power surge protector that the later vans have fitted.
I apologise if this doesn't make sense but I am a complete novice when it comes to electrics.
Alternatively if someone can recommend an electrician in Reading that would be great (I made the mistake of asking at my local caravan dealer and they just weren't interestedConfused)

Thanks in advance

Duncan
johnb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 08 at 19:51
Had a similar sort of problem wit ours when we got it - except that we didn't have the hook up cable.  I looked at it, saw that there wasn't an RCD trip - plus the wiring had had a bit of additional butchery. (13amp extension and 240V ight wired into chocolate block...)

A this point I rang round the local auto electricians (I'm in North Manchester) and the second one knew what I wanted doing and could do it.  It  cost about £150.00 (2 years ago) to get a new inlet socket on the van side, a caravan installation type RCD isolator, the mains butchery making safe and some additional butchery on the split charge relay sortng out.  Nothing I couldn't have done - if I had had time.

Surprised your caravan dealer couldn't do anything.  Probably the best bet is to try a Motorhome dealer with a service department (speak to the service people not the sales people though - likewise the caravan dealers - speak to their service department not the sales
My van is better known in these parts than I am
johnb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 08 at 19:53
BTW, don't be tempted to run without an RCD breaker.
johnb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 08 at 19:56
Just looked at the pictures again.

The gray box with the flexi-duct is not original.

Is there a push button or breaker switch (or both) on the front of the box.  It COULD be a retrofitted breaker/RCD device.
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 08 at 20:17
Originally posted by johnb johnb wrote:

Just looked at the pictures again.

The gray box with the flexi-duct is not original.

Is there a push button or breaker switch (or both) on the front of the box.  It COULD be a retrofitted breaker/RCD device.

the flexi duct is the water filler pipe, and the grey box is there on later westies, mine included.... maybe its had a later interior?

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
johnb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 08 at 20:36
You're right about the ducting!  The angle threw me (excuses, excuses).  I am interested in whether the loom which runs from the bottom right hand corner of the rear cupboard runs into that junction box.  There are no screw holes on my bulkhead to point to a box having been there and then being removed.  I think  everything wired onto the back of the plug, but I could be wrong about that.  Goblin is posting a pic of the same area on mine.
goblin View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Watch out he's got a driving licence now

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 08 at 20:51

A goblin is for life, not just for christmas!
goblin View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Watch out he's got a driving licence now

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 08 at 20:58
Ew, someone's due to be getting the cleaners out!
A goblin is for life, not just for christmas!
VeeDunk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VeeDunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 08 at 21:24
Thanks for the replies guys, well I tried to find a replacement fuse and no-one seems to sell them, it is a 10amp ceramic fuse, but is quite thin and looks like this:
so if anyone has any ideas, I have been to caravan shops and Maplins, I don't know who else will stock them?
Here is another pic of that grey box:
I'm not sure if it is original as it looks a bit too new, but you never know?

Cheers

Duncan
johnb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 08 at 00:03
Well it LOOKS like a junction box.  Mains feed from the plug on the side goes in, I can see th feed out to the Eurpean 240V outlet (in 1/2" plastic conduit by the looks of it) at the front and cables to the 12V charger and the fridge coming out at the back.

When you are plugged in to the mains, and you set the fridge to 240V, does it get cold?

When you are pugged into mains, and you switch the panel control on, doe the right hand LED bar go right up to the top?

If either of these happen, you are getting power into the system, and just not out at the mains outlet.

If not, the problem is most likely in the box.
VeeDunk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VeeDunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 08 at 12:19

Well I have changed the old external hook-up for a new one and I now have power into the van and the black box is humming...nice!

The only thing not working is the fridge, it does work on gas and 12v so I presume there is a problem with the power? I have changed the fuse but when I did it appears that the fuse doesn't actually go into anything which makes me think that something has broken at the back of the fuse.
My question is, can you remove the fascia of the fridge to access the fuse holder or do I need to remove the whole fridge?

Thanks in advance.
Duncan
johnb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 08 at 13:36
Which fridge fuse???.

The mains for the fridge plugs in at the back of the right hand cupboard - a European Sukko plug - I'm assuming it's an Electrolux without the battery auto ignition.  I've not found a fuse on mine - but I've not looked.  You don't mean that plug thing at the bottom front left hand corner - that's a drain.
VeeDunk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VeeDunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 08 at 15:27
As you look at the fridge, along the top next to the gas/12v/240v switch on the far right is a small circular screw head, if you undo that there is a small 10amp fuse behind it.

Cheers

Duncan
johnb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 08 at 18:51
Here we go again - not on mine there isn't.  It looks as if there are not standard fitments and fittings on these vans.

There are instructions on the site for removing the fridge.  The front of the unit comes off, complete with the fridge door and you MIGHT be able to get behind to the back of the unit.

That said, these units draw 10 Amps (or there abouts) on 12 volts, so if this is a protection circuit for mains I would expect it to be considerably less than 10 amps - more like .5A.

Could be the element that is blown - see other threads on here to explain replacement.
VeeDunk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VeeDunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 08 at 22:24
I now have the fridge out and the fuse holder was broken so have made a temporary superglue job on it.
Not had chance to plug it in and see if that has cured the problem,  the fridge is currently upside down letting the coolant mix.
Will let you know how i get on.

cheers

Duncan
Kafer_meister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kafer_meister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 09 at 15:53
You can get a replacement fuse holder from Maplin for the fridge, I did it on mine a year or so ago. They take those little mini fuses too. They do several styles, so I ordered the 3 most likey ones and used the most original looking one.
 Post Reply Post Reply