The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

North Wales Camping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camperdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: North Wales Camping
    Posted: 23 Jul 08 at 21:57
Need a bit of help,we have a wedding in shewsbury in aug so was gonna go up a few days early and have a mooch around north wales so any local info would be great on nice campsites or freebeys we have a little baby so no noisey big sites thanks
sunny south london

www.parkviewautos.co.uk

monsho View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 08 at 22:38
http://www.gwynant.com/index.html

probs heading down weekend after next, is meant to be lovely
itchyfeet View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itchyfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 08 at 12:55

Shell island is one of my top tips, it's supposed to be the biggest campsite in europe which may put you off but it shouldn't as it has 300 acrers and a no closer than 20m policy. Great beach, no caravans, can camp in fields, woods, sanddunes, there is a small shop, bar and cafe, only one proper toilet block all the others are portaloos which means you can really get away from it all. BBQ's allowed.

The best bit is the price at 6 or £7 per night (£35/£40 a week)
88 DG LPG Tin Top
regthewedge View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regthewedge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 08 at 13:02
if your going to shrewsbury then maybe a night or two in wem would be good? dont know a specific site but i beleive there are a couple of good uns?
fuzzywuzzywasawoman
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 08 at 13:15
I'm not saying don't go to Shell Island but beware...it was invaded by the chav scum a couple of weeks ago.

Originally posted by Flowerpower on 80-90 12/07/08 Flowerpower on 80-90 12/07/08 wrote:

Spent last Saturday night on Shell Island...never again...what an utter hell hole.

The place was packed with the worst of this country's scum, playing super-loud techno music all night long. Feral youths were vomiting, setting random fires, and banging on the side of the van at 3AM. 
Shell Island should be renamed ASBO Island.

What the hell were the editors of "Cool camping Wales" thinking?

Edited by g60steve - 24 Jul 08 at 13:17
woodman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 08 at 13:59
I second this site, although its a good hr and half from Shrewsbury. I live in Oswestry, the next town up from Shrews and takes us over an hr in TDI T3! Its a great site though, weve a 2yrold boy who loves going in the kayak with me on the lake there.  http://www.gwynant.com/index.html

Alternatively try Llangollen. Theres a nice site by the old abbey. If you have not been to Llangollen before, then you will be really impressed, nice river running through town, Thomas the Tank steam train, lots of touristy things going on. Its abouT3 miles from Shrewsbury, so more realistic.

Cheers.  
Wood by name Wood by nature
woodman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 08 at 14:05
Bloody hell ichyfeet. Shell Island £6-£7 per night? When was the last time you went there? That might be per person, but by the time you add the missis, the kid,s the dog its getting on for £20! Also the facilities stink. The owners are raking it in and not re-investing. Only good thing is the camping shop. If your up that way, your better off turning inland by the pub on the main road and following signs to waterfall. Its great there, but no showers, only a river and a 20ft jump into waterfall if your up for it. Kids love the river and its pretty safe too.   
Wood by name Wood by nature
lawzie01 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lawzie01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 08 at 11:53
Hired a cottage here at easter before the van was done. It's a lovely peaceful site with an amazing view of the estuary when you wake up. Lovely couple that run it, they spent 6 months traveling round sites in europe in a T3. Also if your a mountainbiker it's 6 miles from coed y brenin, great trails to be ridden. Very far west though but it's right on the tip of snowdonia national park. I liked it anyway

rogerthecat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
official aa mascot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 08 at 12:17
Lyn Gwnant is just fantastic if the weather is good - some folks off here nearly made it last weekend!!
The Llyn Peninsula is also gorgeous and then on up to Anglesey - Conwy is a lovely place - still got castle walls and the Menai Bridge is spectacular.

If you go on to Anglesey itself - Bodfan Farm in Rhosneigr is a nice quiet family site (avoid Shoreside, can get a bit loud with jetskis revving etc). The beach there is good and safe for toddlers to play - starting to get a bit Cheshire-by-the-Sea though!
T3 Westy, T3 Syncro (the ScoobyVelle), New Beetle Cab, 2 x Polos - I have too many projects
1664 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1664 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 08 at 13:33
Originally posted by woodman woodman wrote:

If your up that way, your better off turning inland by the pub on the main road and following signs to waterfall. Its great there, but no showers, only a river and a 20ft jump into waterfall if your up for it. Kids love the river and its pretty safe too.   

Sounds nice!! Where exactly??
Garrick T View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garrick T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 08 at 22:51
pretty sure you can't take camper vans onot shell island
Fun Lovin Flat 4's V-Dub Club

Telford
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 08 at 23:00
I'm sure Tee3 camps there in his van.
itchyfeet View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itchyfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 08 at 12:59

Ok so probably best not to go peak season, I avoid campsites when the schools break up, I have only been twice but never saw any scum or tecno parties, just lots of enmpy space, Price is current but is per person, yes vans are allowed.

88 DG LPG Tin Top
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 08 at 13:21
Originally posted by Garrick T Garrick T wrote:

pretty sure you can't take camper vans onot shell island

Youre supposed to have a tent for sleeping purposes.
We nearly always have the awning up anyway. Not that we ever sleep in it

To be honest, I dont think there is a specific rule regarding camper vans. The rule mentions "No Caravans". And it also says something about no cars or land rovers staying onsite without a tent to sleep in.

In all honesty, we have never had a problem, even when we havnt put the awning up.
And there are always a few BIG motoromes there too, usually without awnings.

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 08 at 14:37
after doing some digging on the Shell Islnd campers forum theres a comment  about a rule change.... posted by "Carla" at Shell Island (staff I assume?)

Quote the situation has changed and we are now units not camp sites, so yes campervans are now classed as a unit not a camp

Basically, this means that a campervan has become a camping unit in the same was as a tent is. And is therefore allowed. Still no caravans though, and still no kipping in the back of a transit hire van or landrover.

I could understand the objection to campervans when it was in the rules, but some of the comments from tenters on that forum on the subject are a little sad to say the least... and come across as bitter and jealous.
Theres one guy saying that when he sees a campervan he's going to pitch his tent right next to it, as the rules say "20 mtrs from another tent" no mention of campervans Exclamation

I really hope he tries that one on me. It would be interesting to see which gives first as I drive off... they guy ropes tangled round my towbar, or his tent pegs

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

martin25 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 08 at 16:55
 really hope he tries that one on me. It would be interesting to see which gives first as I drive off... they guy ropes tangled round my towbar, or his tent pegs

LOL
rogerthecat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
official aa mascot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 08 at 17:01
Just connect your Eber exhaust to his tent door, that should keep him quiet for a bit.
T3 Westy, T3 Syncro (the ScoobyVelle), New Beetle Cab, 2 x Polos - I have too many projects
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 08 at 17:35
LOL

yeah, just helping you keep warm matey

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

Dezzie View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dezzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 08 at 19:14
Camperdan......
Have you tried ... www.ukcampsite.co.uk

Type in the place where you want to go, and it will show you several campsites for that area.

North Wales is beautiful.  Try and avoid the North coast (Rhyl / Prestatyn), as its very industrial / busy / chavy.  Snowdonia is gorgeous though.

Mid North Wales is very scenic.  Barmouth, Dolgellau, Fairbourne, Bala.  We stayed at a site in Dolgellau (Pronounced...... Dollgethlee) last year.   www.llwynyrhelmcaravanpark.co.uk   quiet, pretty,  pleasant owners and very reasonably priced. ('bout 10 or 12 quid a night with electric).  We're going again in a couple of weeks.
I'll slow down for Horses, when they pay some ***kin' road tax !
camperdan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camperdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 08 at 19:37
sounds so nice cant belive we have not ventured up that way before we will have a good look around the area and make the most of it might see a few of you up there might give shell island a miss as the chaverler is jacked up on the drive havin some tunes put in over the summer Exclamation
thanks all dan
sunny south london

www.parkviewautos.co.uk

Post Reply Post Reply