The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Welding
    Posted: 07 Apr 19 at 16:14
Hi Guys,
BOC have a glitch on there system which ignores the discount negotiated for rental.
If you get an invoice that makes no sense then ring them and they will sort it out.
Rental for the Y size bottle should be £4.70 per month btw.
Cheers
Andy
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 15 at 23:21
Not my rules mate, mods and admins are sick of moving stuff to the correct area so we delete them.

Anything for sale on the forum, please read before posting:-
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/rules-and-regs-read-or-die_topic22023.html
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

outtatime View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outtatime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 15 at 21:03
Note to self:
Make sure when replying to posts you're actually replying to the most recent one, and not one from the first page!

As you were folks, nothing to see here, i really didn't just spend 5 mins replying to an old welding post honest!

Edited by outtatime - 25 Nov 15 at 21:29
LT28 2.4TD (DV) Camper 'Morgan'(H998 RUM)
LT40 2.4TD (DV) Camper D562 RCY
Discovery 200 TDI
Discovery 300 TDIx3 (Tetley,Lileth & ????)
Skoda Felicia
BMW F650 GS
KTM 200 EXC
Honda Trail 90 (CT90)
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 15 at 20:00
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum

Edited by madra - 25 Mar 18 at 21:32
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 15 at 19:51
Thats unfair mate.
Welder with no warranty or delivery costs, need to be in the For Sale section.

madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 15 at 16:33
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum

Edited by madra - 25 Mar 18 at 21:32
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 15 at 10:42
Haven't bought any Wolf products so can't comment on reliability etc.
Wire feed issues are not uncommon with entry level welders, so google first before you buy.
The mechanism on my RTech welder is an absolute work of art compared to my old sip, but I managed with the sip for over 10 years, just took a bit of fiddling about at times.

If you can I'd buy a welder locally cos 35kg isn't going to be cheap to send back for repairs etc.

As a starter kit it seems to have enough to get going, but small spools of wire and gas bottles are very expensive consumables. Find out if you can fit a 5kg spool of wire.
Check that the tips supplied are standard, that way you can nip to a local supplier if you need some in the middle of a job, or get some on ebay etc.
I'd also find out if you can fit a euro torch.

For panels I use 0.6mm wire with gas, cooler and quicker to grind down than 0.8mm.
If you work outside then you use more gas, a small bottle can run out in minutes.

Long term look at an auto helmet - leaves both hands free, and a boc gas bottle via the deal I have posted. Personally I would buy the kit without the gas bottle and regulator and put the £20 saving into a regulator. And start a boc bottle rental straight away.

Mattybev81 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mattybev81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 15 at 00:55
Looking at this wot do ya recon as I am on a buget just for panels nothing hardcore

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/281488279967

Wolf Mig140 Gas No Gas Gasless Combination Turbo Smooth DC Mig Welder 135amp
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 15 at 22:09
Originally posted by Jam-Man Jam-Man wrote:

Oh, forgot to mention... Oxy/Acetylene bottles are available on the 'black market' but they are inevitably empty and you will have trouble getting them filled if you don't have a trusted friend with a proper BOC account...

This option is no longer a flyer as every bottle is scanned in and out on each account, turn up with strange bottle and the account hold will get landed with rental charges for those bottles.

Also to pick up a bottle is another £15 each smile, and then the fill of gas.

If in Belfast Co2, pure argon and argon blend are available in there own bottles Ulster Bottling Glen Road.

BOC are abusing their monopoly on gas.
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 15 at 19:16
Glad you are sorted mate, it's such a good deal that it's worth a bit of agro to get an account.

Bundas View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bundas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 15 at 18:50
I collected my bottle yesterday and the guy at the shop even know about the deal itself and confirmed the quotes are the ones we discussed here before so I am quite happy. 

He also gave me a key for free and and argon reg for 1/2 price (£28!) as I only had a CO before. So highly recommend the chaps at Birtley if anyone goes by.
Bundas View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bundas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 15 at 21:26
Strange, I might try to ring back the first number again. It was told on the central number. That fee was for collecting personally, if I want it delivered is around £50.. Will try again tomorrow. Don't think the deal has changed as the quotes were similar 2 days ago and they knew what I am talking about.
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 15 at 21:22
Deal could have changed I guess but I suspect you have been quoted wrong, mine goes out by DD. £3.88 for rental or say £40 if a new Y bottle. I just collect from the local supplier, no fees.

Bundas View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bundas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 15 at 21:05
Hi Guys,

I have called the number in the post above to arrange my gas bottle. When I spoke with them first yesterday they quoted me the same as LTCamper89 except that I have an environmental surcharge of £1.36.

I received the confirmation email today that my account is now live so I thought give them a ring or place an order, just to figure out how it works. I am planning to collect the bottle on Saturday morning as I am working away all week.

When I spoke with them on the phone today the refill charge was the same as I quoted originally but the bottle rental was £8.50/month = £102/year(!). They also said I need to pay a collection charge of £14.40 on top of this as well. 

Only change I made from the original is that I was on cash only deal for first and said that I'd like to pay with card? Would that be the reason? Say this Volkszone offer is cash only? 

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 14 at 22:00
If anyone in Belfast or this island try ulster bottling for your gas needs.

He does co2 extinguishers new for 30ish better that than your pride enjoy when the hose doesn't work
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 14 at 21:55
Originally posted by Chappy Chappy wrote:

Anyone had any experience in getting hold of oxyacetylene  bottles?

Bags and torches are easy enough on ebay, but not so with the bottles. I'm guessing that it's more to do with eBay rules that owt else tho.  I fancied a OA setup for welding and general use.  

Wolseley do oxy in a deposit return system for ac work, will cost a bit but I find it better for poor metal
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 14 at 11:57
Not quite that daft mine wouldn't fitWink.
Was gonna make something but thought no, bottles are rented so liable for damage etc better buy spanner from BOC.

Don't bother fit was horrendous and they only send stuff by courier.
Buy one off eBay for about £3 or make your own.

LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 14 at 06:54
Originally posted by AndyT AndyT wrote:

Free spanner was nice, wasn't happy when I got home and had nothing to fit.

I had not checked that either, so the adjustable 'wrench' came out and that worked fine.Shocked
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 14 at 05:42
Another happy memberSmile, it's the best deal I've found if you use a reasonable amount of gas.
Bottle pressure is an issue and isn't always quoted on the web etc.

The first bottle I bought holds half the gas of the BOC Y, but a refill is now £80+ and no other supplier will re-fill it. Keep it for convenience when welding away from home or if I run out.

Free spanner was nice, wasn't happy when I got home and had nothing to fit.

roundandsquare View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundandsquare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 14 at 00:30
I just signed up with the Volkzone BOC deal too.  Called the number Chris put in the post above and spoke to Crystal who emailed a form to sign.  I sent it back and was able to go and get a bottle in just over 24 hrs.  The guy at the branch was friendly and helpful. He even gave me a free spanner for the bottle.

I'd previously tried Hobby gas which was hopeless.   The bottles look the part, same size as pub gas CO2 bottles, but after reading some posts on the mig welding forum I found out that for some reason they don't fully fill them up.  After the first bottle ran out I thought there must have been a leak.  On the second bottle I was really careful to turn the gas tap off after every weld but that ran out just as quick.  I have no idea what kind of hobby this would be any use for because it's no use for welding up hopeless old vans.

The BOC Argoshield Lite also seems like better gas than the Hobby gas stuff.
LT35 2.4 diesel (not turbo) hybrid van/camper type thing...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>