The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Jam-Man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jam-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 10 at 12:46
 Oxy-acetylene bottles aren't on ebay 'cos they are technically always owned by either BOC (or the other outfit but can't quite remember their name now- oxygen products or something like that). There are BOC agents all across the country and you can rent various size bottles from them. Be warned though they are expensive to rent and BOC put the price up every year with the same lame excuse regardless of whether the wholesale price has gone up or down in the preceeding 12 months! Also, oxy/acetylene equipment, unlike MIG or manual ARC for those of you not familiar with it is hard to use, potentially much more dangerous and does require proper training from someone who knows how to do more than cut metal with it!. It, together with TIG are truly the best ways of welding car thickness stuff though.
canny bagga Tudor View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canny bagga Tudor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 10 at 19:54
Originally posted by AndyT AndyT wrote:

Best site I know for general advice and tips is:-

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/

I haven't been on the mig welding forum for a few months but was back there the other day. A bloke called Weldequip who posts on there has been selling welders and equipment for a while now, but via pm's. Anyway, he's now got a webshop on there. He seems like a decent fella who knows his stuff and always dispatches orders very promptly. Here's the link to his shop . . .
http:////www.mig-welding.co.uk/shop/

. . . and a few pages of posts from satisfied customers:
http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3918

Tony
1993, LT31, 2.4 petrol (with a 1E engine), lwb, camper conversion project.
LT35-Craig View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LT35-Craig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 09 at 08:17
BOC gas do them, have a search and see if they have a depot near you.
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 09 at 11:19

Anyone had any experience in getting hold of oxyacetylene  bottles?

Bags and torches are easy enough on ebay, but not so with the bottles. I'm guessing that it's more to do with eBay rules that owt else tho.  I fancied a OA setup for welding and general use.  

Back in the slow lane, yeah!
kimbobill View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimbobill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 09 at 11:11
Couple of things. If your mig has been cooped up in the shed over winter check the wire hasn't gone rusty, you'll find out when it spits and sputs at you! same as if you try to weld rust and if you are underneath wear some thick cloths as you'll do the Tyburn jig if the hot rocks get through. Gauntlets I only use one on my right hand (non welding hand) unless it's a hard to get to place and it's likely to drop on the hand.
Just make sure you know where all the fuel and gas pipes run before you start
T4 Caravelle converting to a day van and still looking for an LT
team french View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote team french Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 09 at 08:22
is there a leak anywhere in the line? machine mart do two sizes of the dissposable bottles but the bigger ones still dont last to long. do you have a regulator on the bottles? if so turn it down and practice welding and turning it up slightly untill you get no porosity and a clean weld
1978 2litre LT28 abbomination!!!!
MostlyMonki View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MostlyMonki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 09 at 23:20

Sounds normal to me they only last 20mins or so.

I recon mine are lasting about 5  minutes!
"LT Massive"
petergeeky View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petergeeky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 09 at 18:44
Hi,

A lot of the gas places sell CO2 in large bottles - at one time it was difficult for "private" people to get hold of CO2 bottles, unless like Andy says, you knew a friendly pub landlord. But the gas depots don't seem to bother about it so much - I get mine from a place called Wirral Gas near Birkenhead - obviously no good if you're in Bristol, but I'm sure there'll be something similar locally.

They sell the propane/butane camping gas type bottles, but they also do CO2. I guess the first time you'll have to pay a deposit on the bottle, but a 3ft tall refill cost me about £15 last time, and it seems to last forever. Obviously, as mentioned you'll have to buy a guage (loads on Fleabay), but the outlay is worth it in the long run.

Rgds
Peter.
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 09 at 16:47
Sounds normal to me they only last 20mins or so.
Bin the gas and go gasless easier and more consistent to learn with. A small spool should only be £5.

Or find a friendly pub landlord and "borrow" a CO2 bottle, you'd have to scrounge or buy a regulator to fit but the gas is only a few quid.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

MostlyMonki View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MostlyMonki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 09 at 13:40
did my first bit of welding at the weekend (just a bit of seam on a beetle, no pics as it wasnt exactly pretty), but I'm having some problems with me mig.... managed to get through 2 and a half bottles of disposable gas, just doing about 15" of seam, and welding one bolt to the chassis. now it was anything but clean welds, and i had to go over most of it a couple of times, but still seems a lot of gas!! anyone know why i might be getting trough gas so quickly? or is that normal?
"LT Massive"
thal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 09 at 22:08
just the battery is enough if you manage to weld through a wire the resulting short could cause the battery to explode thats the theory but Ive never heard of it happening. Ive managed to weld through wires but all its done is melt the wire.
2.4 td high top home conversion And2.4td LWB high top van
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 09 at 12:44

.... When working on vehicles it is recommended that you disconnect the battery...

i'm sure i read somewhere that you should disconnect the battery *and* the alternator.

true or false?
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 08 at 05:28
Hi Folks,

Has anyone ever tried running a mig from a generator, if so how big etc.

Cheers

Andy
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 08 at 22:09
Good point and thanks for the reminder, I update me notes.
I generally do, but disconnecting the battery can cause nightmare problems with more modern vehicles. Radio codes, immobilisers etc.
Battery failed on our kids C70, soon as he put the new one back on alarm went off and stayed on. Can't remember the fix but you would never have guessed it.

team french View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote team french Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 08 at 21:00
and know ones mentioned disconecting the battery yet(just rememberd myself). the welder should earth to the set its self but they have been know to fry batterys. at work when we weld jobs when sat on the fork lift forks its never done any thing adverse to them, some do have a battery isolater switch which we often use, better safe than sorry etc!!! and easyer than having to move 2tonnes off a dead fork lift!!!
1978 2litre LT28 abbomination!!!!
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 08 at 00:01
Updated me !st post, don't know how else to flag it, will delete later.

mikebdomain View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebdomain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 08 at 10:09
P.S - LOL a thread for welding pics... better make a lot of space available... Hug
1995 LT35 2.4 Diesel
Camper conversion
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebdomain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 08 at 08:27
To be honest Andy, I lost my temper with the damn stuff and the gasless welder has been thrown at the back of my shed - never to be used again.... I think the wire is still in the machine I will try and have a look at the weekend.

I am quite happy with my gas welder now and as I am able to get a good solid weld, not pretty, but solid, the guy at the MOT station said it was some of the best hobby welding he  had seen for a long time (although he may have been gay...)  and at the moment I have no intention of going back to gasless - although if I did, I think I would have a go with the screwfix wire that Thal is on about.
1995 LT35 2.4 Diesel
Camper conversion
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 08 at 21:23
Mike,

Have you got a code for the B&Q wire, can see where this could be useful even if it was a bad batch etc.
I've only used wire from SIP and some wire I bought on the internet which is excellent but cost £30ish for 5kg quite a while ago. I'll find the box, check it out and post details later.

Cheers

Andy

P.S. I'll start a new thread for welding pics in a bit and migrate your post later if that's OK.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebdomain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 08 at 09:43
hmmm I will have to try that on my gasless mig. The last load of gasless wire I got was from B&Q and I was sure I was using a plasma cutter and not a welder - it cut a perfect clean line where ever I tried to weld and that was on the lowest power setting.
1995 LT35 2.4 Diesel
Camper conversion
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>