The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 09 at 16:47
Sounds normal to me they only last 20mins or so.
Bin the gas and go gasless easier and more consistent to learn with. A small spool should only be £5.

Or find a friendly pub landlord and "borrow" a CO2 bottle, you'd have to scrounge or buy a regulator to fit but the gas is only a few quid.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

petergeeky View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petergeeky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 09 at 18:44
Hi,

A lot of the gas places sell CO2 in large bottles - at one time it was difficult for "private" people to get hold of CO2 bottles, unless like Andy says, you knew a friendly pub landlord. But the gas depots don't seem to bother about it so much - I get mine from a place called Wirral Gas near Birkenhead - obviously no good if you're in Bristol, but I'm sure there'll be something similar locally.

They sell the propane/butane camping gas type bottles, but they also do CO2. I guess the first time you'll have to pay a deposit on the bottle, but a 3ft tall refill cost me about £15 last time, and it seems to last forever. Obviously, as mentioned you'll have to buy a guage (loads on Fleabay), but the outlay is worth it in the long run.

Rgds
Peter.
MostlyMonki View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MostlyMonki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 09 at 23:20
Originally posted by AndyT AndyT wrote:

Sounds normal to me they only last 20mins or so.

I recon mine are lasting about 5  minutes!
"LT Massive"
team french View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote team french Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 09 at 08:22
is there a leak anywhere in the line? machine mart do two sizes of the dissposable bottles but the bigger ones still dont last to long. do you have a regulator on the bottles? if so turn it down and practice welding and turning it up slightly untill you get no porosity and a clean weld
1978 2litre LT28 abbomination!!!!
kimbobill View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimbobill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 09 at 11:11
Couple of things. If your mig has been cooped up in the shed over winter check the wire hasn't gone rusty, you'll find out when it spits and sputs at you! same as if you try to weld rust and if you are underneath wear some thick cloths as you'll do the Tyburn jig if the hot rocks get through. Gauntlets I only use one on my right hand (non welding hand) unless it's a hard to get to place and it's likely to drop on the hand.
Just make sure you know where all the fuel and gas pipes run before you start
T4 Caravelle converting to a day van and still looking for an LT
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 09 at 11:19

Anyone had any experience in getting hold of oxyacetylene  bottles?

Bags and torches are easy enough on ebay, but not so with the bottles. I'm guessing that it's more to do with eBay rules that owt else tho.  I fancied a OA setup for welding and general use.  

Back in the slow lane, yeah!
LT35-Craig View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LT35-Craig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 09 at 08:17
BOC gas do them, have a search and see if they have a depot near you.
canny bagga Tudor View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canny bagga Tudor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 10 at 19:54

Best site I know for general advice and tips is:-

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/

I haven't been on the mig welding forum for a few months but was back there the other day. A bloke called Weldequip who posts on there has been selling welders and equipment for a while now, but via pm's. Anyway, he's now got a webshop on there. He seems like a decent fella who knows his stuff and always dispatches orders very promptly. Here's the link to his shop . . .
http:////www.mig-welding.co.uk/shop/

. . . and a few pages of posts from satisfied customers:
http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3918

Tony
1993, LT31, 2.4 petrol (with a 1E engine), lwb, camper conversion project.
Jam-Man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jam-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 10 at 12:46
 Oxy-acetylene bottles aren't on ebay 'cos they are technically always owned by either BOC (or the other outfit but can't quite remember their name now- oxygen products or something like that). There are BOC agents all across the country and you can rent various size bottles from them. Be warned though they are expensive to rent and BOC put the price up every year with the same lame excuse regardless of whether the wholesale price has gone up or down in the preceeding 12 months! Also, oxy/acetylene equipment, unlike MIG or manual ARC for those of you not familiar with it is hard to use, potentially much more dangerous and does require proper training from someone who knows how to do more than cut metal with it!. It, together with TIG are truly the best ways of welding car thickness stuff though.
Jam-Man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jam-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 10 at 12:50
Oh, forgot to mention... Oxy/Acetylene bottles are available on the 'black market' but they are inevitably empty and you will have trouble getting them filled if you don't have a trusted friend with a proper BOC account...
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 10 at 12:51
Mine is gasless and I'll put up with the spatter.
BOC are taking the ****.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Jam-Man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jam-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 10 at 13:08
You are certainly correct about BOC Andy. They suck! But if you need the gear as we do they've got you up against a wall for sure. Argon mix on the MIG does make it a lot nicer though!
bibblybobs View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bibblybobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 10 at 15:50
I use gas from Halfords and the current bottle I have has lasted a year and a lot of panels. I turn on the gas tap until I just hear the gas then stop. If you open the gas tap fully it will only last about 10 mins.
1984 LT31 2.4 petrol Camper
lt31ollie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lt31ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 11 at 01:23
for the people who keep running out of gas quickly..
turn the wire speed down and hold the torch near youre cheak,
the purge of gas should feel simular to breath on the back of youre hand
if you have to much gas, this can drag air into the sheid of gas which will give you porosity.

ive been working as a fabricator for the last 5 years and this is how i always metre
how much gas i need. also if you use 0.6 to 0.8, welding body panels is far easyier and stronger
as the you get full weld penatration rather than if you use 1mm up you will end up with cold lap
as you have to run the welder on a low setting with not much weld penatration

hope that is of some help
NickV View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 11 at 20:28
Originally posted by madra madra wrote:

.... When working on vehicles it is recommended that you disconnect the battery...

i'm sure i read somewhere that you should disconnect the battery *and* the alternator.

true or false?
True...
It can blow the diodes on the alternator which turn ac to dcCry

So always disconnect the alternator before welding. I disconnect the battery too as it only takes a sec!
pinpin View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

dayglo dan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 12 at 22:43
Right fellas, just my tuppence worth but if you going to do the welding lark, don't go for a gasless model, go for at least a 150 amp gas fed model (it's worth spending the extra). There's lots of places you can get gas from, admittedly it comes with a bottle rental fee which is about £18 a month. A full bottle of either argoshield light or coogar 5 should set you back about £75 notes depending on if you use air products or BOC. If your new to welding get some practice on scrap material first and with mig clean material is really important. Then it's up to you experimenting with the amount of current and wire speed. If your stuck ask someone we all had trouble at some time.
A GUY HAS TO HAVE HIS TOYS!!
pinpin View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

dayglo dan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 12 at 22:47
Oh and disconnectthe battery, at best you could fry your ECU at worst your battery will blow up due to the hydrogen it produces when it boils. Have fun!!
A GUY HAS TO HAVE HIS TOYS!!
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 12 at 15:04
Update on the gas side.
Got a nice big BOC Y bottle (40kg) this afternoon, found a special deal for diy bods.
Gas is £24.48 a refill and annual rent £34.15 + vat of course. No stupid contract, monthly bills.
Normal prices are £50.36 and £105.06.

max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 12 at 15:36
How? did you just ask at boc? im on the intrustrial tariff...too expensive..whats the catch?
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 12 at 15:49
Found the info on the mig welding forum.
Just ring 0800 111333 and ask about the Volkszone offer.
Only catch is it's Y size only, reasoning being that it fits in the boot!!.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>