The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > The Coachbuilt forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGas conversion for left hookers!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas conversion for left hookers!
    Posted: 06 Apr 09 at 13:44
Hi there!
I've just bought my first ever camper and it's a import Karmann Gypsy from germany. I love it - but have a couple of questions...

Firstly the gas - which has run out before we've started! I have two grey Propan 5kg bottles in it. I'm not sure what I should convert this too - but have been told I need the orange alorgaz 6kg and a new regulator? Is this correct? Will I be able to refill on the continent?

Also it has lost one of the low red side lights at the rear. It looks like the whole thing needs to be replaced. Any suggestions where I might get one?

The dealer deliverd the van with a dodgy wheel as he blew a tyre on the motorway. Apparantly it has no jack! Is there supposed to be a jack on board anywhere? If so where can I get a replacement jack?

Finally the loo! Thankfully the last chap removed what must have been there - but #er indorrs and the littles have decided its a must! Any ideas what is the best thing to get and where to get it?

And finally finally! Is there anyone close-by who owns one of these beasts - as it would be great to catch up and get some friendly advice on all the bloody switches etc! I'm based in Sussex not far from gatwick.

Thanks for reading my post!
C
Britain's coastroad - only 5000 miles!
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 09 at 17:26
a good conversion is to speak to steve at www.gasure.co.uk and fit one of his underslung westy style lpg refillable tanks

as for the bog i used a normal portapotty in the shower room in my old cheetah.

if you pm your email add i have a pdf in english of all the controls 
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

CharlieH View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 09 at 19:37
thank you for your message. It would be great to receive you .pdf of instructions.
CH

Edited by CharlieH - 23 Apr 09 at 18:04
sventhrusta View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 09 at 22:12
Originally posted by CharlieH CharlieH wrote:

Hi there!
I've just bought my first ever camper and it's a import Karmann Gypsy from germany. I love it - but have a couple of questions...

Firstly the gas - which has run out before we've started! I have two grey Propan 5kg bottles in it. I'm not sure what I should convert this too - but have been told I need the orange alorgaz 6kg and a new regulator? Is this correct? Will I be able to refill on the continent?

Also it has lost one of the low red side lights at the rear. It looks like the whole thing needs to be replaced. Any suggestions where I might get one?

The dealer deliverd the van with a dodgy wheel as he blew a tyre on the motorway. Apparantly it has no jack! Is there supposed to be a jack on board anywhere? If so where can I get a replacement jack?

Finally the loo! Thankfully the last chap removed what must have been there - but #er indorrs and the littles have decided its a must! Any ideas what is the best thing to get and where to get it?

And finally finally! Is there anyone close-by who owns one of these beasts - as it would be great to catch up and get some friendly advice on all the bloody switches etc! I'm based in Sussex not far from gatwick.

Thanks for reading my post!
C
www.karmann-coachbuilts.com
Theres a few people on here near to you. 
CharlieH View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 09 at 18:07
Spoke to Steve at Gasure - and the LPG conversion sounds good. However I've just been warned that the ground clearance can be a problem with regards to speed humps. Has anyone who has one of the underlung bottles encountered any problems? Presumably the 30L bottle is a nono?
Bluebays View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 09 at 18:52

Spoke to Steve at Gasure - and the LPG conversion sounds good. However I've just been warned that the ground clearance can be a problem with regards to speed humps. Has anyone who has one of the underlung bottles encountered any problems? Presumably the 30L bottle is a nono?
I have a Gasure underslung tank and the Bus is Lowered 50mm Never been a problem with clearance  Wink

camowagen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 09 at 19:02
when pennys allow we will be having one from gasure, get on the karmann coachbuilts forum there is a pic on there of busbuddys van and underslung tank so it will give you an idea, as his van is lowered. Smile
CharlieH View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 09 at 19:15
Thanks camowagen and dweezil. Yes now I see it and hearing you has instilled confidence! We'll get one fitted asap. The ruddy german bottles have run out now - so we'll be cooking on the campfire in the meantime!
Properjob
Bluebays View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 09 at 19:59
Worth noting that there is a 5% Discount for leisure systems from Gasure for Coachbuilt owners Cool

Edited by DWEEZIL - 08 Apr 09 at 21:05

camowagen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 09 at 21:43

Thanks camowagen and dweezil. Yes now I see it and hearing you has instilled confidence! We'll get one fitted asap. The ruddy german bottles have run out now - so we'll be cooking on the campfire in the meantime!
Properjob

the quick fix is buy a 50mb regulator from socal (link on karmann coachbuilts) and fit a uk bottle. you will need to blank off one hose though as you can only fit one uk calor bottle in a gypsy as i have just found out.
i got my bottles from a local shop for £14+vat each no deposit and the reg was £10+post.

olafson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 09 at 10:59
gasure also do a small converter for using Uk gas bottles which I've been using for a while with no probs.  Think it was only a 5er...
t3monkey boy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 09 at 22:18
Whats dodgy about the wheel?
www.carsandhistory.com
Got a nice Subaru powered Club Joker.
Nick 07766310652
Email:nickholby2003@yahoo.co.uk
CharlieH View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 09 at 07:46
It had a slow puncture. All puncutres repaired now and plates finally arrived so we're offski to sea side for the w/e!
bakers-bar View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 09 at 22:25
hi just wondering did you gas it in the end if so what do you think thinking of having mine done need some feedback cheers steve
 Post Reply Post Reply