The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ur Van Conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ur Van Conversion
    Posted: 16 Apr 09 at 04:04
Hi Folks,

Forgot to do this the other day when I spotted the request.
If you have converted you van and want to share pics etc like the Ur Van topic then post them here.
Its a sticky topic so will stay at the top. I'll delete this post once the topic gets going.

Cheers

Andy
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 09 at 04:06
And I thought i was the only one on here at this time of day...
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 09 at 04:13
Nope - thanks in my case to sciatica driving me nuttier than usual!!
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

LTcamper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTcamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 09 at 15:40
I'll get out and post some pictures of our conversion this week. We bought it after its original owner died sadly. It was once a community ambulance and was supposed to have been fitted out using the bits from an old caravan. Whoever did it made a good job of it though as it looks like its always been a camper.
My girlfriend and I bought it and have been away a couple of times in the 4 months we've owned it but being new to campers we need some help. The pictures below are to do with the hot water, heating and fresh water feed - I think? I know it might be obvious but can you guys confirm this for us and let us know how we should be connecting them etc please?

Also we want to tow my old skool BM behind her with a dolly but need a tow bar. Also, being a 4 speed petrol, would she be able to cope? We're not bothered about plodding along but don't want to ruin her.

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 09 at 16:04
Your van is a 2.0 petrol like mine so I wouldn't even attempt towing anything other than a small trailer for any distance, and never up a steep hill.

Towbar's aren't too difficult to source (topics on forum) , but the law has tightened up considerably recently and a lot of the dollies for towing cars don't conform any more, and are legal for registered recovery vehicles only in emergencies.

I've got a pdf which explains a lot about towing safely, and there's an article in March 2009 Motorhome monthly which is quite detailed. Can scan if you PM your email address.

The square aluminium plate (electrolux) is the gas exhaust for a 3 way fridge, don't know about the others but no doubt someone will.

P.S. If you have an electrolux fridge then I've got a manual in pdf form.

Cheers

Andy

Edited by AndyT - 17 Apr 09 at 16:09

LTcamper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTcamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 09 at 17:33
Many thanks for the advice Andy. Maybe we'll just get a moped to take with us instead? We're just thinking of something for shopping trips rather than having to break camp everytime we want to go to a shop.
LTcamper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTcamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 09 at 17:35
e-mail is markbrown100@hotmail.co.uk

thanks again
canny bagga Tudor View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canny bagga Tudor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 09 at 21:18
Is it possible to merge the recent conversion thread;
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/area-for-conversions_topic37372.html

. . . into this new sticky thread?

Might be worth having a link to this thread in here as well;
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/topic35920.html

. . . another one:
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/your-lt-interior_topic42687.html

Tony

Edited by canny bagga Tudor - 23 Aug 09 at 08:46
1993, LT31, 2.4 petrol (with a 1E engine), lwb, camper conversion project.
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 09 at 21:31
Worth doing but I don't know how!!.

drunkenmaster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drunkenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 09 at 19:22
Here's mine so far;
http://ltcamper.blogspot.com/
It's an ongoing project......
1991 LT35E 2.4TD (volvo transplant)
http://ltcamper.blogspot.com/
mike38 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 09 at 19:42
Sorry missed this post as Andy says the gray metal plates the exhuast for the fridge the top pic switch is for your water boiler the big vent that says cascades the water heater vent and the bottom flap looks like you need a plug in whale pump that drops into a water container heres what the pump looks like

But double check as iam only guessing that its a whale fitting it could be a carver or other .
Mike
mikejack View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikejack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 09 at 21:13
Thought i'd share a couple of pics of the progress on my conversion. This is just phase one! I don't think it's too shabby considering I have no woodwork expierience and i've only had it a few weeks.

This is how it was when i got it.

And now... The seats also convert into a bed.

The cupboards now have nice red knobs.

I'm going to cover the seats tomorrow and then a more permenant work surface with smev sink and cooker.

Cheers, Mike
mikejack View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikejack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 09 at 23:27

Edited by mikejack - 06 Oct 09 at 09:58
Flying Frog View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flying Frog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 09 at 08:10
nice work ! 
lt31 2.4l petrol diamon conversion
TwoSheds View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwoSheds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 09 at 18:22
Hi. I noticed the query regarding towing with a 2lt LT and I would like to offer my experience : I finally sent mine ( what was left of it ) to the crusher a couple of months back and it was a pity that I finally broke it up ( took 3 years to finally say goodbye ) but there was too much rot and it owed me much money so all parts went via eBay ( I'm sure that many of you saw it - 1980 LT35, Blue with white HiTop ) and one or two of you bought parts from it.
I used to be in 16 motorcycle clubs and spent most of my time building, breaking, making, fixing riding, smiling, breakin ------ 1916 to 1970's machines. I also used to go to lots of shows and autojumbles.
Regularly, I would have all of my "going away" gear, tools, 3 bikes inside the camper, 1 clipped on the the bike rack at the back and 3 on a trailer. The van never complained and even went to France 3 times ( once with 4 blokes inside  with all their gear ) and a 3 bike trailer on the back.
Whilst it took some time to get up to sheed it would romp along all day at 50-60 so :
Don't be afraid of carrying/towing load - that is what they were made for.
Got to say that the LT35 was a sweet machine. My LT45 2.4TD may be more powerfull and a little more economical but the noise level and harmonics ( this is the rose tinted way of saying DIN ) are much higher.
bonnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 09 at 12:51
Originally posted by LTcamper LTcamper wrote:

I'll get out and post some pictures of our conversion this week. We bought it after its original owner died sadly. It was once a community ambulance and was supposed to have been fitted out using the bits from an old caravan. Whoever did it made a good job of it though as it looks like its always been a camper.
My girlfriend and I bought it and have been away a couple of times in the 4 months we've owned it but being new to campers we need some help. The pictures below are to do with the hot water, heating and fresh water feed - I think? I know it might be obvious but can you guys confirm this for us and let us know how we should be connecting them etc please?

Also we want to tow my old skool BM behind her with a dolly but need a tow bar. Also, being a 4 speed petrol, would she be able to cope? We're not bothered about plodding along but don't want to ruin her.

bonnie
bonnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 09 at 13:02
hi. don't know if I'm too late to be of any help but, top pic is the on-off controller for the hot water system. 2nd pic, the aluminium square is the exhaust vent for when you are using your fidge on gas, and the long plastic one is the inlet vent for the fridge. this is to allow fresh air to circulate behind it, and stops the build up of fumes and cabon dioxide gas. 3rd pic, is the exhaust vent for your hot water system, IMPORTANT! at the bottom left hand corner you will find a large plastic screw. you need to open this if you are not going to use the water during the winter, this will drain the system, if you don't there is a danger that the tank will freeze up and burst. (quite expensive to replace).  4th pic. this is where you plug in your submersible water pump. the plastic lugs twist round to hold the plug in place.  hope this helps.
bonnie
TheFixer View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFixer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 10 at 07:15
Hi LTcamper, this may be well too late, but both AndyT and Bonnie are correct with their identifying your parts, the brown switch is indeed the on/off control of the gas water heater (with three state warning lights), but i noticed from the pics that it is a Cascade 2, which means there is a chance that your water heater my have a mains 240v side, if your can get to look at the water heater on the inside it will have a 240v cable connection and probably a mains switch (that is if you have mains hook installed in your van), if so you can use either, but i wouldn't use both at the same time as has a tendency to pop the press relief stopper, which once it does would require replacing if it happens (doesnt always happen but it can).

Hope this helps
If it ain't broke, take it apart anyway.
1986 LT45 2.4TD LWB Camper Conversion
VW Passat TDi & VW Golf GT TDi
cnycl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cnycl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 10 at 11:32
I'm about to finish my conversion (actually it's a never ending conversion, always different things come up) and thought it's better to share some pics and get your opinions at this stage.

My van is an 88' LT 31 2.4 petrol which I bought at 12k kms. It is an ex-gov't van which was rarely used but had a horrible interior design.

I mean a real bad mess on the back, a totally blackened box with loads of strange structures in it. It was used for spying and had camera mounts, listening devices, little holes in nuts, a hydraulic device to fix the van to the ground, a display on the back windows to fool people outside that it's a poultry firm van and etc.

To disassemble this mess in winter took me a month. That conversion was done by a firm in germany and it was built to last but if I had a chance to camp in it I'm sure my mental health would be injured seriously.

Anyway I took everything out and converted it to my own taste. Everything was done in the apartment parking lot by me and missus and the outcome is as follows.

66 joker View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66 joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 10 at 21:25
WOW..
That looks the bizz.
Youve made a pukka job of that.
Bet your well proudClap
T4 Westfalia Exclusive.Tdi LT work van..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>