The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Painting bumpers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote select-security.net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Painting bumpers
    Posted: 08 May 09 at 22:18
Hi

t5 130

Wanting to get the bumpers painted, is this easy to do?

What sort of cost may I expect,

Thanks in advance
mcguyver View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcguyver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 09 at 09:33
SSN, It is quite a long job to do it properly. Assuming yours are the standard type, you need to smooth the rough surface off (some have just painted the bumpers as is, but they look rubbish close up), the longer spent, the better the finish. Then you need to carefully clean the surface with pre-paint, wash and dry, mask up or remove as necessary, treat the surface with adhesion primer (to help the paint stick to the plastic), prime then top coat.
To be honest, no matter how hard you work, you'll never get a good finish yourself, as you cannot use two-pack (paint not the rapper !), due to its toxicity.
Much better to use a good local paint/bodyshop. Cost should be around £500-£700

mac
Mannlicher View Drop Down
PROBATION
PROBATION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mannlicher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 09 at 10:21
Do the painting yourself using Celulose do the prep work and priming as stated above but rather than using 2 pack use cellulose primer and top coat and before anyone says its banned it still can be obtained if you know where to source it
mcguyver View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcguyver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 09 at 20:29
By all means have a go if you like. I've never been happy with my efforts on previous projects, but then again, I am a prfectionist.
Kev The Gas View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

BUS WANKER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kev The Gas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 09 at 20:51
Originally posted by mcguyver mcguyver wrote:

By all means have a go if you like. I've never been happy with my efforts on previous projects, but then again, I am a prfectionist.

But not a speller WinkWinkWinkWink
T5.1 T32 LWB Kombi 140 ps. Sold

T5.1 Caravelle Executive 2.0BiTDI
180PS DSG Sold

T5.1 Kombi LWB 180 BiTDI DSG   

T6 California Beach 150 DSG
The Loon View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Loon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 09 at 21:01
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
Justified Ancient of Mu Mu.
select-security.net View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote select-security.net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 09 at 21:31
Originally posted by mcguyver mcguyver wrote:

SSN, It is quite a long job to do it properly. Assuming yours are the standard type, you need to smooth the rough surface off (some have just painted the bumpers as is, but they look rubbish close up), the longer spent, the better the finish. Then you need to carefully clean the surface with pre-paint, wash and dry, mask up or remove as necessary, treat the surface with adhesion primer (to help the paint stick to the plastic), prime then top coat.
To be honest, no matter how hard you work, you'll never get a good finish yourself, as you cannot use two-pack (paint not the rapper !), due to its toxicity.
Much better to use a good local paint/bodyshop. Cost should be around £500-£700

mac

£700 yikes
Digs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 09 at 21:40
Originally posted by Mannlicher Mannlicher wrote:

Do the painting yourself using Celulose do the prep work and priming as stated above but rather than using 2 pack use cellulose primer and top coat and before anyone says its banned it still can be obtained if you know where to source it

And you'll end up with a superb job.

But at least you'll end up buying some new bumpers and you can make them Caravelle ones.
matsvan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matsvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 09 at 11:21
i have seen a camper conversion in my neck of the woods recently that has had the bumpers painted and they look awsome. someone really spent time on them and there are no dimples. i have seen some with dimples and they look...well pants basically. especially if you have metallic paint.

however, my mate is just in the process of buying a t5 and he has been quoted 300 to do the front and rear bumpers from a paint shop in exeter at marsh barton.

as i have a gunmetel van, i was in less of a hurry to do this as the bumpers are grey too and its not as obvious, however, i was thinking that i would buy a tailgate spoiler before hand to be colour coded at the same time thus reducing cost. i thought that was quite a cunning plan.
My dad swears by French cars but they keep breaking down. Asked what the best cars he ever had were, he replied "The old Passat, the two MK2 Golfs, the Audi Quattro and the Princess"? Kombi 130 SWB
blackvanman View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackvanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 09 at 13:41
that is a cunning plan but here's mine - buy caravelle bumpers front n back, get them sprayed, fit them one fine saturday n bingo, cheaper paint job cos no dimples, nicer looking front bumper and no inconvience to work i.e van standing in some paint shop for a few days, extremely cunning i'd say matt! WinkSmile
'09' 174 kombi, swb, pearl black
matsvan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matsvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 09 at 15:44

that is the best plan!! and added pimp value as well.

incidently, i just had to pop into the vw van stealer in exeter and they are selling a black and a blue 130 special 'santa cruz' edition t5. vw has sprayed the bumpers over the dimples without sanding them back. oh my god!!. on the black its not too bad but the blue one is metallic and it is shocking. this is a brand new 20,000+ van with the bumpers sprayed. shocking.

if any one goes in this garage regularly, you will see that they are always coming out with 'surfing' based special editions of t5's but they just dont seem to think half of them through at all. then they have the gaul to charge you for it!
My dad swears by French cars but they keep breaking down. Asked what the best cars he ever had were, he replied "The old Passat, the two MK2 Golfs, the Audi Quattro and the Princess"? Kombi 130 SWB
 Post Reply Post Reply