Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > The Coachbuilt forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFoster & Day -- getting it back on the road

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 10 at 23:33
(hmm. the above was supposed to be posted in reply to Lynn's Boyfwend's rather old post above. turned up at the bottom rather than attached to his post. oh well.)

by the way, if anyone's interested, i DID get the beast back on the road (stage I of its restoration), via an off-list recommendation to the redoubtable Darren of VW Airfix. and it MOTed effortlessly and runs like a charm. despite it being water-cooled, he did an absolutely outstanding job, even down to waterblasting off the mould that was starting to grow on the roof and sides.

my unreserved and enthusiastic recommendation: if you're in/near London, go Darren!

:-
"VW Airfix is located at 132a Stanley Park Road, Carshalton, Surrey SM5 3JG. [near Croydon] He is located behind the petrol station near to the shops and school.

Darren the owner is a nice friendly and very knowledgeable chap. He is great with all things Air-Cooled but will of course look after your H20 vehicles as well.

We have used Darren over the last few years for many things from simple oil changes to replacement engine, clutches etc.

He is very popular and gets quickly booked up and a number of users [here and other fora] highly recommend him.

Darren can be contacted on 020 86473898 or 07785 500 003 "
I used up all my sick days
so I called in dead.
johnb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 10 at 07:46
Foster and Day were based in Castleton, (near Rochdale) and built very, very high end coachbuilts.  Unusually, they did not have set platforms, but built on (depending to legend) either what they could get hold of or what they were commissioned to build - hence Nic's ultra rare (and probably priceless) synchro.  This means tht unlike the Karmens, there is not a fixed association with a particular vehicle.

I think they went under in the late 90s.
My van is better known in these parts than I am
deanow View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 10 at 15:29
Hi,  can anyone recommend suitable alloys for T3 F&D's? The ones on the syncro look about right....what are these?
foxcub View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 10 at 21:09
newbie here but now realise I have a Foster and Day coachbuilt as well! Knew it wasnt a Gipsy but always wondered who had made it. Didnt realise so few had been made.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12