FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AAZ V's 1Z / AHU

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
rolo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AAZ V's 1Z / AHU
    Posted: 04 Aug 09 at 22:03

yes and answers your question 

Edited by rolo - 04 Aug 09 at 22:22
the last one
timmythedog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 09 at 19:21
The way i'm reading that, the guy is suggesting that if he bought a vw recon aaz engine it would have the later tdi arrangemnet installed. The article is dated 2005. So he's not saying that late aaz's had the modification back in the mid 90's. He's saying that if he bought a vw sourced "new" aaz in 2005 hed get the tdi upgrade on it. He believes that "new engines and reman engines are both coming with......"
Syncro doka td
T4 Multivan Generation, 151
89 Caravelle Exclusive 2.1
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
53 plate T4 Panel.888 special x factor.
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
rolo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 09 at 17:49
« on: July 07, 2005, 10:17:48 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I read in an earlier post on another list, that the latest aaz engines from Gernany have the updated crank/pully arrangement.  The person doing my upgrade to 1.9 AAZ from 1.6 NA in an '82 Westy said the same thing.  Can somebody with first hand knowledge confirm this or is this just a fantasy.

Is there a way to confirm the crank/pully/key arrangement without removing the crank pully?
Report to moderator   Logged

'97 Passat TDI
'82 Westfalia with 1.9TD AAZ
QuickTD
Veteran

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 05:12:22 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I believe that new engines and reman engines are both coming with the newer type TDI pulley.

You can confirm this by reading the part number on the face of the crank pulley. You will need to remove the harmonic balancer/accessory drive pulleys (4 bolts) if they are in place, but you do not have to remove the crank pulley centre bolt nor disturb the timing.

The new TDI style pulley part number is 028 105 263D

The older troublesome pulley part number is 028 105 263E
the last one
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 09 at 22:17
Yeah i was thinking that too about removing bottom pulley fro belt change. the plastic shrouding is a pain i guess if you cant get down there, but belt does slide i around it. Maybe on a golf the bottom pulley is close to chassis leg making it difficult to pass a new belt down onto the pulley? I think on the van i'd be taking the  silencer off.
Syncro doka td
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
rolo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 09 at 20:47
 Got a clutched pulley on mine,  was on the 97 aef, looked but never seen one on an early tdi. What did happen was lads and some who should have known better, thought that, that was the way to remove the belt. I remember seeing serious heat and impact guns at work by SOWSKB.

Edited by rolo - 03 Aug 09 at 21:00
the last one
russel at syncronutz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russel at syncronutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 09 at 19:52
First big mistake in that link is having to remove the main sprocket to do the timing belt.
You do not have to disturb the main sprocket or undo the main bolt in order to do the timing belt.
Russel
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 09 at 18:51
Well I must say that is quite fascinating, and not something i was aware of. So is there any potential for fiiting this type of alternator pullet to an aaz???  Is this infact what you will find on a tdi engine? Did VW actually go with this?

Regarding the tdi crank nose issue, he is a little vague on that, ie; he says" if he got the story right", or something like that, so was not certain they had improved late aaz's in that way, just thought he understood that to be the case. Good read though.
Syncro doka td
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
rolo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 09 at 18:11
http://www.utterpower.com/vw_1_9_td.htm. Not the only place I`ve read it. Sin a pic, I think it was  on gtd. But never actually seen one. I always stand to be wrong and corrected. I`ve read it enough to think it common knowledge. I do go overboard on the reading and don`t believe all of it.
the last one
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 09 at 22:38
Okay, like the ones I bought from you a couple of weeks ago, I hope! Thought I better get in there and swap it for peace of mind. Nice one.
Syncro doka td
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 09 at 22:33

Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

Later aaz,1y, aef have tdi type crank..

Later AAZ's do not have a TDI style crank, they mearly have a different bolt fitted.

Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 09 at 19:43
Cheers Rolo, and everyone else. As Monsho said, it's been done time and again, but my theory is that as miles and years are clocked up, peoples knowledge, and therefore opinions and conclusions  are evolving and changing. that is clearly the case, as there still seems to be some passion in the debate. Rolo, I know you don't want to talk about this anymore, but I would love to know, if anyone can tell me, what constitutes a late AAZ, and therefore one that might have an improved crank/pulley..? Is the evidence clear at the crank nose, or engine codes, later pulleys, different electrics on the pump? Mines from a mid 94 Cordoba. That's pretty late I guess.
Syncro doka td
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
rolo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 09 at 09:36
Later aaz,1y, aef have tdi type cranks, my engine revolves on one, its an aef. This is the last time i`ll write this coz it must be on a search by now and it`s boring or I am, and old and grumpy and it`s raining and paint blooms this weather and there`s stuff to do that just doesn`t involve rain and watching it and pc`s.           AND there`s aazs  that aren`t gutless, better go now before I start reading about 300bhp 1y,s

Edited by rolo - 01 Aug 09 at 09:42
the last one
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 09 at 00:10
Depends if you want it right or not, fairly pointless putting TDI on a standard box as it will go about 65 flat out, all power much further down rev range meaning either a taller 5th or best way is a new ring and pinion but to change that you have to completely strip the box.
I've seen cheap TDI's they are well funny!
Beelzibus View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beelzibus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 09 at 00:06
Like I said, excluding those who pay others to do all the work for them. ;)
Surely there are plenty of TDIs running around sensibly enough without having spent £1500 on gearbox parts alone?
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 09 at 00:03
labour and parts?

TDI there is at least £1500 to spend on the gearbox alone.
Beelzibus View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beelzibus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 09 at 23:58
Forgetting those that pay others to do everything for them, I can't see how an AAZ swap could swallow 2K, let alone 5K for a TDI, the donor cars are all cheap as nowadays.
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 09 at 23:52
AAZ is Easy (cheap)
TDI isn't that easy (expensive)

That's what usually makes the decision for you.

AAZ will work with standard box, TDI will also, really badly though.

AAZ Conversion cost all in under 2 grand.

TDI Conversion probably around 5 grand.

If the van is only worth 3 grand would you spend 5 on a engine conversion?

Didn't think so.

:)
BUS.BOY View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BUS.BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 09 at 23:34
i am getting about 400 miles from a tank on a run but i have a longer diff and fifth gear fitted, and my
e.c.u is chipped !
************bristol t3 racers************
Beelzibus View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beelzibus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 09 at 23:19
My concern with the 2.5 TDI 5 pot from the Audi is that they weren't that frugal (for a diesel) in the cars they were fitted to. What mpg are you getting in a T3?
BUS.BOY View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BUS.BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 09 at 23:15
Originally posted by proxymoose proxymoose wrote:

Originally posted by monsho monsho wrote:

TDi is probably nicer when done.

• neighbour with 2.5tdi Audi lump says nothing compares!

i agree with your neighbour !

************bristol t3 racers************
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>