FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

174 Turbo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
tufty65 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufty65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 174 Turbo
    Posted: 15 Dec 09 at 19:51
Originally posted by kosmic kosmic wrote:

Hi,

My turbo went (in the middle of Glen Coe, Scotland!), VW quoted me £1200 for a replacement turbo, after charging me £30 for the diagnosis.

Got my mechanic friend to strip it back, its the KKK turbo that is in my van.  Really struggled to find a recon one, tried to put mine into get reconditioned however the guy who does it couldnt get a part  for it (spindle inside had snapped).  Eventually got new turbo from Europarts for about £800 (sobs).

Such a hassle to access the turbo! 

My van is a 2004 T5 2.5 Tdi - hope this info is useful!

Exactly the same posisition I was in!
They said the spindle had snapped and they couldnt get the parts for the turbo so a new one is in order (£800).

Ive got the old turbo back to go on Ebay when these parts DO become avalible Big smile

Mine was a 2004 t5 130 2.5 tdi 
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 09 at 20:16

Just to update, I came across the part from the Turbo which was blamed for the failure

While it shows signs of blowby and wear, its hard to believe that such a small part condemed my turbo and cost me a packet.............

!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 09 at 23:20
Originally posted by tufty65 tufty65 wrote:

Originally posted by energysolutions energysolutions wrote:

Another punch on the chin - my turbo is fecked and cannot be refurbished

I can get a new one for £700 + VAT or a remanufactured one for £450 + VAT

The turbo guy said that the damage was consistent with excessive back pressure on the exhaust side and advised me to check for blockages, particulary in the catalytic convertor

I wonder if this could be an underlying cause for the quite large numbers of faulty T5 turbos?

Anyone care to guess how much a new catalytic convertor is for a 174 T5?

Would it be worth contacting VW and explaining what has happened with a view to a contribution on their part due to a premature failure of one of their products?

Or am I dreaming?

I had the same problem with my 130ps t28 turbo,
Turbo went and my mechanic sent it away to be refurbished but the company couldnt get the parts to repair it, The main shaft had snapped or something and I also ended up paying £700 plus for a brand new one.

He said it was something to do with vw havent released the patent on the turbos so you cant get remanufactured/replacement make ones

Ive got the old turbo still so I can e-bay it when parts DO become avalible :)

Was it a "KKK" by any chance? I believe they are much harder to rework, luckily mine was a Garrett

tufty65 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufty65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 09 at 22:23
Originally posted by energysolutions energysolutions wrote:

Another punch on the chin - my turbo is fecked and cannot be refurbished

I can get a new one for £700 + VAT or a remanufactured one for £450 + VAT

The turbo guy said that the damage was consistent with excessive back pressure on the exhaust side and advised me to check for blockages, particulary in the catalytic convertor

I wonder if this could be an underlying cause for the quite large numbers of faulty T5 turbos?

Anyone care to guess how much a new catalytic convertor is for a 174 T5?

Would it be worth contacting VW and explaining what has happened with a view to a contribution on their part due to a premature failure of one of their products?

Or am I dreaming?

I had the same problem with my 130ps t28 turbo,
Turbo went and my mechanic sent it away to be refurbished but the company couldnt get the parts to repair it, The main shaft had snapped or something and I also ended up paying £700 plus for a brand new one.

He said it was something to do with vw havent released the patent on the turbos so you cant get remanufactured/replacement make ones

Ive got the old turbo still so I can e-bay it when parts DO become avalible :)
delilah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delilah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 09 at 21:25
whatever happened that neded such a scary drive?
The Transporter View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Transporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 09 at 20:56
Ha! No hallucinations bud, but my giant pink kitten has complained that he is having problems getting to sleep..

Had a disc removed in February but it seems like I have buggered up another disc and it is giving me crippling pains down my left leg, they have given me the tramodol to dull the nerves. The side affects aren't too bad but I do have to focus on one thing at a time otherwise I lose the thread of what I'm doing.. I'm off for an MRI tomorrow which I hope will throw some more light on the issue
2004 174bhp AXE engine..... Belligerence has been confirmed.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 09 at 20:14
Ouch!  Sounds painful.  Tramodol?  You haven't been having any weird dreams have you?  It's just that Mrs T5s dad (aged 89) is seriously ill and he is on that and one possible side effect is hallucinations.  He fell out of his hospital bed yesterday convinced that giant dolls were chasing him! 
2004 2.5 174
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Transporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 09 at 19:53
Still not sorted mine yet, been on 6 Tramadol a day for my back so I've not been much in the mood for leaning over engines just of late.. I did remove the upper heat shield from the manifold a while ago and have noticed that there is black smudging developing round the welds on the manifold, suggesting that the welds have cracked so when I have the time and inclination I shall remove the entire manifold and get it all welded and reinforced but in the mean time I'll just live with it...
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 09 at 07:01
Mine has just begun to squeal now Shocked  It sounds ominously like a turbo whine to me.  It's only very slight and I can only hear it when I'm driving past buildings or walls.  It's there when I'm accelerating in 2nd and 3rd at the moment but I'm sure it will get louder soon.  I'm really hoping it is the manifold leak mentioned above and not the turbo. Cry  Did you get yours fixed Transporter? 
2004 2.5 174
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 09 at 19:16
Turns out a gasket which was renewed when the turbo was replaced has shat itself after the grand total of 30 miles

Cant source a replacement until monday as the stealers say this has happened a few times now and a bad batch is being blamed

Not happy!Angry

My luck is so bad right now if I bought a pet duck the fecker would drown itself!

Ruds View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 09 at 12:45
I'm very interested to know if the gasket fixes the squealing issue as mine has become more prominent lately... How can the T5's have this many issues :(
2006 130 SWB Kombi van
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 09 at 12:30
Originally posted by Acijai Acijai wrote:

Ahhh sorry to hear that mate what a shit way to start the weekend!

Give um some shit at the garage, take all that Angry out on them!

Hope it gets sorted out!

Yep - its shit!

I aint gonna get nasty with the garage as I hope it is just a simple mistake of some sort which can be easily rectified - I believe in being firm but fair

I am pissed about not having a van which I very much need for business

On a brighter note I went and treated myself to a new Iphone this morning as I had some spare timeBig smile

Acijai View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acijai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 09 at 12:23

Ahhh sorry to hear that mate what a shit way to start the weekend!

Give um some shit at the garage, take all that Angry out on them!

Hope it gets sorted out!
I've got the van bug bad and its going to kill my wallet!
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 09 at 12:17
Update:

Had the van back 18hrs and had done @ 30 miles when I got a "STOP" and "CHECK OIL LEVEL" flash up in close succession

Stopped and dipped it, oil just showing on the dipstick, looked below and a small drip was obvious

Topped it up and nursed it back to workshop to see whats up - still awaiting verdict

Not a happy bunny right nowAngry

Maggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 09 at 06:29
Originally posted by The Transporter The Transporter wrote:

Mine wasn't too bad 'till I gave it a good hard blast up the M62 now it is pretty vocal.. Just ordered a manifold gasket at less than £10 plus VAT.
Maggy, your story is why I'm adamant that it is only the gasket, My first reaction to the noise was that it was the turbo failed, I guess that it is an easy mistake.  I'll keep you folks posted

Hoping it's the same on yours... mine squealed like an old fan belt!
£10 is a lot cheaper than a Turbo.

/Maggy, The (Male) Swede

T5 Caravelle 2,5 TDI AXE LWB 174hp (210hp)LWB 4motion -07

BMW K1600GTLE -16
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Transporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 09 at 00:20
Hmmm... Not at all sure that I would allow that mechanic fix my bicycle.

I would say that most turbos are wrecked by either not allowing them to cool down sufficiently before shutting off the engine, shutting off the engine and therefore the oil supply to the bearings before the turbo has slowed down or possibly the wrong oil... I am still amazed at the ignorance of some mechanics be they professional or DIYers to the importance of the correct spec of oil. I have heard plenty of guys with PD engines say that they use cheaper oils...

Another suggestion from the guy who rebuilt my pals RangeRover turbocharger was that older engines should never be flushed as this loosens crud which will find its way and will ultimately clog the oil ways to the turbo.

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 09 at 23:08

Had a thought today after something the mechanic said

He reckons the common fault in T5 turbos (particulary 174s) is down to the turbo being "undersized" and having to spin too fast to make big power

With this in mind would I have been better buying a larger, stronger turbo? I know larger turbos suffer more from lag but is this the only downside?

Edited by energysolutions - 12 Aug 09 at 23:16
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 09 at 18:18
Just picked mine up and parted with another £230 - ouchCry

At least it seems to be going well now...... 
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Transporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 09 at 16:57
Ha! I usually drive reasonably hard too, it's just over the last six months I have been pretty local and doing a lot of town driving and I've not had chance to blow out the pipes for a while... It's still nice to flash those common little BMWs out of the Transporter lane now and then...

It would also be interesting to see which Turbo has the highest fail rate.. I'm still convinced that my Garrat is in fine fettle... I wonder if it is the KKK that is playing up?
downhiller View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 09 at 15:07
I give mine a good blast pretty much every time I drive it, it's unusual for the needle not to be past 120 at some point on a long motorway journey... :)
Bog-standard poverty-spec 174ps T5 panel van (black, LWB)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>