Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T4 Short Shift - How to

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T4 Short Shift - How to
    Posted: 02 Sep 09 at 21:45
In an attempt to try and quell the amount of phone calls I keep receiving about the short shift modification I thought I would write a FAQ so people can understand what's going on and how to do it.

I used to modify old T3 gear levers for short shifting, but it involved welding, cutting and drilling the gearlever, not rocket science but out of the realms of most DIYer.

It wasn't long before short shift kits came on the market and they made the job a simple, quick, easy operation taking around 15 minutes to fit.

Once I bought a T4 I was a bit disappointed about the shifting, nothing like what I was used to so it went on the ramp, I had a look, had a look at ETKA to see how it worked, took some bits off, drilled a hole, put it back together, bingo!

It's only when people drove my van they commented on it and asked for theirs doing.

You must be aware that there are 2 types of gear linkage set up.

The earlier style is fitted on all 4 cylinder models and the 2.4D

The later style (which was revised in 2000) was used on 2.5TDI and VR6 models, and obviously came in around 1996 when the 2.5TDI did.

The same principles apply to modifying the linkage, there are just 2 slightly different ways of achieving the same result on the different set ups.

I will confess that I have not modified the earlier system personally, but I will show you the principle and then give you a few pointers from good old brick-yard user “Elvis” who has come up with a good method, but like I say, i've not done it personally.

Early style - 1991 to 2003

The parts we are interested in are the "Relay lever" marked in Orange.
As you can see, this converts a Forward motion on the Blue rod to a rearward motion on the opersite end of the relay lever.
I have marked the ball joint to the end of the lever with red, the idea is to fit another ball joint further inboard of the original to mess about with the leverage of the rod, the effect is that you reduce the amount of movement you need at the gearstick to achieve the same amount of movement at the gearbox end.
I am told, and this is open to verification that you can buy a ball joint from VW (Part No. 701 827 439 B) drill the relay lever and fit the ball joint further inwards. I'm not sure of dimensions but I would say 30mm further in should do it. The balljoint costs about £2.50.

Later style - TDI and VR6 engines.

This one is simple!
Same principle as the other, move the hole on the relay lever inwards!

You will need.
  • 10mm spanner.
  • 13mm spanner.
  • drill with a 14mm bit.
Under van.
Unbolt the 10mm nut and 13mm bolt through the bottom of the gearlever.
Unbolt the relay lever (Orange)
Remove the bush from the end of the relay lever that was connected to the rod from the gearlever.
Find the hole centre, mark 35mm further inwards.
Drill to 14mm.
Refit bush.
Replace relay lever!
That's it!
Soooooooo easy.
Great time to replace the bushes, they are usually sloppy, we have spares on the shelf as we use a few of them, due to popularity of these at the moment I have put them together into kits, I'll upload those to the webshop shortly.

Here is a customers van we did recently, you can clearly see the old hole! (2.5TDI)

Either of the methods above will only shorten the throw in the forward-Aft plane and will not affect left to right movement.

If you increase the distance between the hole centres the shift will become shorter! I wouldn't go more than 35mm though, reduce the distance and the shift will become longer.

Now, please stop ringing me unless you want me to do yours!!

Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 09 at 13:17
We've done another today, we were a bit more scientific about this one.
We measured the amount of throw before we started, and after we finished.
I'm not right good with sums, and the van had a gearlever extension on it, so I guessed where the gear knob would have been!

To begin with there was 5" of movement between 1st and 2nd
After we had done this was a cock hair over 3"

Richard, the youth that puts things in envelopes reckoned on that was 40% shorter.
simplepsy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simplepsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 09 at 14:16
Hmmmm

or two fifths, if you are an oldy

LOL
Glover View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 09 at 14:52
40% or 2/5 ? I'm no good at maths, but I do know it's LOADS nicer to drive now !

Plus I got a free White Knuckle ride in Baxters van to show off the Billies and rear antiroll bar

Cheers Simon, top job ! (I'm also a lazy arse like Bob who doesn't like it under vans)
Desp Dan View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Simple Pieman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desp Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 09 at 15:31
Errr Mr Glover,

I'm just a Lazy Arse
Don't mind going under T'van lookin tho   

It fookin Handles tho with that ARB On Dunnit Approve

Edited by Desp Dan - 03 Sep 09 at 21:06
Pie n' Bacon Meister
Porsche & Classic Car Nut
AggieT4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AggieT4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 09 at 21:04
Sweet! Done mine today,its a bit harder to shift since altering the laws of leverisms etc but well worth the 15 minutes tinkering Big smile

And you can lube it all up whilst appart Smile
BANANABUS View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
More Like BanBus!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BANANABUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 09 at 00:08
Originally posted by AggieT4 AggieT4 wrote:

And you can lube it all up whilst appart Smile

Oi oi keep it on topic! LOL

It aint half a good mod like Clap
Committed To Famine Relief. Last Week I Sucked Off An Ethiopian

I'm Not Arguing,I'm Explaining Why I Am Right

ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 09 at 23:19
 Think someone has previously had mine off - rods are on different way round (rod from gearlever goes to passenger side of bar) or is the 102 meant to be like that ?
Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

t4 virgin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t4 virgin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 09 at 23:43
no should be drivers ????
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 09 at 23:58
 cheers jock , will have a shuftie over weekend. Didnt print piccie out as i did the old 'assemble is reverse of removal' trick . It works and looks ok with no undue tight spots etc ?!?!?!?!?!?
  will change it anyway
Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

t4 virgin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t4 virgin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 09 at 00:31
8 Ball View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8 Ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 09 at 23:23
Done mine today...also fitted a gear lever extension. What a difference.
Why the hell didn't I do this before?LOL
2002 2.5 tdi 88bhp
Mrb1985 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrb1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 17 at 00:00
HELP I have do the mod for my 98 T4 and since doing this I now can't get it into reverse any suggestions or anyone had a similar problem?
 Post Reply Post Reply