The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Smokin Baby"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Tetchy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE WONDER BUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Smokin Baby"
    Posted: 13 Dec 09 at 17:18
1986 TD 2.4 Smokes for first 5 minutes [grey/white],Then clears,is this normal,can i reduce it a bit!??,Runs great just scary when u start it up .
1994 Westfalia Florida "BIG Z"
paulr View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 09 at 17:22
Don't know about the turbo diesels but normal diesels do that. I wouldn't worry about it.
www.flexiblesanders.co.uk
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 09 at 17:36

Check glowplugs for operation and serviceability.  Any idea when they were last checked/serviced?

Lumpy starts and initial rough running that clears when warm can be a sign of weak or non functioning glowplugs.  May be that you have one or even few that are dead, which will give a lumpy start and initial running.

Easiest way to check is to work your way back from the plugs. i.e. check that you get juice at the plugs first, then have 'em out one by one and check for condition and operation. 

Back in the slow lane, yeah!
THE WONDER BUS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Tetchy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE WONDER BUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 09 at 18:18
Thanks,starts really well even when left a few weeks,are the plugs easy enough to get hold of at any motorfactors!
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 09 at 18:27

Haven't got any experience of the LT, but my T3 was similar. Started on the button but was lumpy and smoked when starting from cold.

If yours starts and runs well, but just smokes it may be more indicative of something else.

The JX in my T3 used to start fine, bit smoky but had a rock solid idle.  It was massively improved after new plugs and a slight timing adjustment.

But, it also used leave a nice trail of white smoke when pulling away, and used to do this for about 5 mins.  Turned out it was a leaky turbo seal, which (I guess) sealed up when warm.  I changed the turbo and it stopped immediately.

If you want to have a look at the plugs anyway, then they should be avail from most factors, or from Brickwerks of course Big smile

I'm sure someone who's got more LT experience will be along to give a better diagnosis Tongue

icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 09 at 15:21
Are you using the cold start / anti smoke device on the dashboard?

It's that little round knob on the bottom right hand side, it should pull out about 3 inches - that stops mine smoking
Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!

- 2000 MK4 Golf GT TDi
- 1994 LT Panel Van
- 1997 LT Minibus
- 1984 Volvo/VanHool Alizee
Groupie
Groupie

Tetchy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE WONDER BUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 09 at 19:17
The cable has broke,i can adapt a hand throttle i have to repair it tho,i thought that was just to boost revs when it were cold,Gonna try it tho and i really appreciate youre knowledge Thanks.
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 09 at 20:13
Originally posted by THE WONDER BUS THE WONDER BUS wrote:

The cable has broke,i can adapt a hand throttle i have to repair it tho,i thought that was just to boost revs when it were cold,Gonna try it tho and i really appreciate youre knowledge Thanks.

It adjusts pump timing a little to aid cold starting. Tongue
Groupie
Groupie

Tetchy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE WONDER BUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 09 at 20:11
Thanks,...........Youre a Legend!!,it works Merry Christmas!!
 Post Reply Post Reply