The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Tyres and load ratings - using car tyres on T5?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tyres and load ratings - using car tyres on T5?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tyres and load ratings - using car tyres on T5?
    Posted: 13 Apr 13 at 23:23
Originally posted by swiss swiss wrote:

P= Passenger
LT = Light truck or van
T = Temporary

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_code
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tire_code_-_en.svg

Then the tyre width = e.g 205
Then aspect ratio
0 = lowest i.e low profile
100 e.g Highest and are your Kevlar or low rolling resistance tyres, fuel savers but increased side wall
stress

R for radials unless you want Russian off road C cross ply
BDR

16 is the size f tyre diameter
Then speed rating, R S T U V W X Y
Then UTQ which is the hardness of rubber measured as T T T 
Tread 100, 200, 300 etc
Temperature  AA Best down to C on how well the rubber resists getting hot specifically the welds - poor /
Traction AA down to C (poor)

And finally Loads

Load Range - Number of layers of ply on tyre
A - N
2 - 24

Load Index
98 750 KG
99 775 KG Generally manufactures alloys
100 800 KG x 4 = T32 or is it   Manufacturers alloys
101 825 KG Limit to manufacturers alloys
102 850 KG
103 875 KG
104 900 KG  Where most of my alloys are
105 925 KG
106 950 KG Limit of where u can buy alloys e,g Dakar style Swiss
107 975 KG
108 1000 KG

Load index is also on alloys
Having correct tyres is pretty useless if you have car alloys fitted
The tyre should normally be similar to the alloy so for a
T30 / 4 = 750 KG minimum but you need to allow for accidental overloading
from 1000 KG payload

e.g 6 people in Kombi = 500 KG
70 Litres fuel etc 70 KG
Spare wheel 70 KG
Aircon and extras e windows 100 KG

Plus whatever actual load you are carrying 500 KG?
Or camper conversion
Or whatever you guys actually put in them

Take a look on eBay and very few T5 Alloy sellers even mention the Load Weighting etc
Fit these and you are simply not insured
You have modified the vehicle with telling the insurer usimg a substandard part
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/20-HAWKE-T5-VW-transporter-RS4-wheels-tyres-silver-/370469077133?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Rims_Car_Wheels_ET&hash=item5641ad808d

First one I looked at is a 97
Thus it can take roughly 2800/2900 KG with no room for error
It is a potential collapse

Good post Swiss

I think someoone used to go on about brevatey or something but some things need laid out properThumbs Up
zedzedeleven View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zedzedeleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 13 at 23:17
Keep a close eye on those Agilis Simon, I failed the mot because two had blocks of tread lifting off with deep cracks between the treads. Like Al says, do a search.
1.9 85ps swb 2004 in friesan green.

bring me sunshine.
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 13 at 18:40
Originally posted by simon payne simon payne wrote:

Make sure once you've selected the tyre you want to check as many tyre fitters as possible.  I've just had 4 new Michelin Agilis Tyres on my T5, and the cheapest deal I could find was by buying them on-line at Kwik Fit. I had to pay in advance and they were fitted two days later in my local depot.

Had you not read posts about problems with the Agillis on here. Prone to eggs forming and noise and vibration. I found wear rate high and poor in the wet.

Keep an eye on them because I found four in my fleet failing, two developed eggs I missed looking in from the side and only seem them when jacked up looking stright into the tread. The other two began to crack inside the tread round the tyres.

I have two left to go which will be changed soon.

Very disappointing from the from the white fat man!

Search the thread.

I am sorry if I sound negative but if you were steaming up the motorway and one lets go its not going to pleasent until you get stopped providing you stay upright and there might be an unpleasent smell in the wagon.

Yeah any tyre, any brand can fail but keep an eyes on them, we don't want to read unhappy tales later.

Edited by Alonline - 13 Apr 13 at 18:46
oldun View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 13 at 17:29
Originally posted by simmytt simmytt wrote:

From what i have read on here and other forums you need to allow a % over the load rating,i would stick with 4x4 or mpv tyres,with a rating of 101,camskill do the best price on falkens.I have just got 4 ,255/45/18 falkens load rate 103 for my t30 £91 each.

But what load should we be using?

1. A quarter of the maximum load - 3000/4 = 750 kg

1. Half the maximum front axle laod (larger than the rear axle load) - 1550/2 = 775 kg

Is the differenece significant when considering the tyre load ratings?
swiss View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 11 at 15:29
P= Passenger
LT = Light truck or van
T = Temporary

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_code
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tire_code_-_en.svg

Then the tyre width = e.g 205
Then aspect ratio
0 = lowest i.e low profile
100 e.g Highest and are your Kevlar or low rolling resistance tyres, fuel savers but increased side wall
stress

R for radials unless you want Russian off road C cross ply
BDR

16 is the size f tyre diameter
Then speed rating, R S T U V W X Y
Then UTQ which is the hardness of rubber measured as T T T 
Tread 100, 200, 300 etc
Temperature  AA Best down to C on how well the rubber resists getting hot specifically the welds - poor /
Traction AA down to C (poor)

And finally Loads

Load Range - Number of layers of ply on tyre
A - N
2 - 24

Load Index
98 750 KG
99 775 KG Generally manufactures alloys
100 800 KG x 4 = T32 or is it   Manufacturers alloys
101 825 KG Limit to manufacturers alloys
102 850 KG
103 875 KG
104 900 KG  Where most of my alloys are
105 925 KG
106 950 KG Limit of where u can buy alloys e,g Dakar style Swiss
107 975 KG
108 1000 KG

Load index is also on alloys
Having correct tyres is pretty useless if you have car alloys fitted
The tyre should normally be similar to the alloy so for a
T30 / 4 = 750 KG minimum but you need to allow for accidental overloading
from 1000 KG payload

e.g 6 people in Kombi = 500 KG
70 Litres fuel etc 70 KG
Spare wheel 70 KG
Aircon and extras e windows 100 KG

Plus whatever actual load you are carrying 500 KG?
Or camper conversion
Or whatever you guys actually put in them

Take a look on eBay and very few T5 Alloy sellers even mention the Load Weighting etc
Fit these and you are simply not insured
You have modified the vehicle with telling the insurer usimg a substandard part
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/20-HAWKE-T5-VW-transporter-RS4-wheels-tyres-silver-/370469077133?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Rims_Car_Wheels_ET&hash=item5641ad808d

First one I looked at is a 97
Thus it can take roughly 2800/2900 KG with no room for error
It is a potential collapse

Edited by swiss - 17 Apr 11 at 15:32
Vansales.com
http://www.vansales.com
http://www.swissvantek.com T5 Accessories
http://www.brokerweb.com
Trade/ CCL only finance website

01656 674620
Studioman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Studioman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 11 at 12:17
just a point about sourcing tyres from people like camskill's...good value tyres but then of course you get into loads of hassle with your local fitting place i.e. 'why the ***k should we fit somebody elses tyres?!' can't say as i blame them either.. one very bad experience put me off that method for good. your alloys won't get much respect in that situation.

this is why i recommended CTtyres.co.uk, quick easy order online but a brilliant link-up with local fitting places all over the country. no add-ons at point of fitment and i am genuinely well impressed. we've used them three times with no issues, lets hope they continue to offer such amazing service and choice.

Smile
VW T5 104 x1, Navara x2, Jeep GC 3.0CRD x1, BMW M3, Qashqai x1, ancient Sprinter x1
a11y View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a11y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 11 at 09:22
LOOOOL you have a point. But every little helps in terms of grip for safety. My T5 will never handle well, 2500kgs of converted van, forget it lol.
The Transporter View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Transporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 11 at 09:18
Originally posted by a11y a11y wrote:

FWIW I ended up buying Falken STZ/01's in 235/55/17 103-rated flavour. Great tyre, legal for my axle weights, better reviews for grip/braking than any commercial tyre, although will probably not last as long as I assume they'll be a softer compound hence the better performance.

So, is this still a pointless thread?

Well yes it is to me.... As is taking a van and trying to make it corner like a sportscar. Might I suggest tyres with a higher aspect ratio to absorb more shock from all those potholes out there..Wink
2004 174bhp AXE engine..... Belligerence has been confirmed.
a11y View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a11y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 11 at 07:57
Originally posted by swiss swiss wrote:

What a pointless thread
One says car tyres
One says van tyres
Whats next?
I bought a pair of shoes three sizes too small and now have blisters and a bruise on ass where I slipped? But they were cheaper
At end of day there are just 4 inches of rubber that contact you with road

Read my initial post again:
"Q2: Or, could I fit a "normal" car tyre, provided it has a load rating suitable for my 3000kg maximum permitted weight?" 
"I'm after the best performing tyres in terms of grip in the dry and wet, and also braking performance: of all the tyre tests I've seen, car tyres out-perform commercial-specific tyres."

And then read my follow-up post:
Originally posted by a11y a11y wrote:

Thanks, for the comments/advice folks, really useful stuff Thumbs Up

Despite my intended use (a camper conversion), there's still the chance of uneven loadings - the dynamic loading mentioned by ECB above. I've had advice - found online but backed up by a tyre fitter I trust -  that it's standard practice for tyres to be load-rated 10-25% over the actual maximum permitted weight of the vehicle, which explains why the standard van tyres on the T5 are rated at >900kg per corner.

So basically, my idea of 98-rated (750kg per corner) tyres is out the window Big Grin. I'm now looking at tyres designed for SUVs/etc which have at least a 103 load rating, as they generally perform much better than commercial-specific tyres in performance tests.

I'm not so bothered about saving money overall, I'm just more interested with getting the best tyre for my money in terms of performance. Anyone who knows me know I don't skrimp on the important things, i.e. tyres! I have noticed that 18" tyres in 235/50/18 aren't much more than 215/65/16, but that would involve buying alloys which I'm not bothered about...

I wasn't asking for cost-saving; my concern is about performance. Once it'd been clarified/explained to me exactly how load-ratings were calculated, I was very clear about what I needed to buy.

FWIW I ended up buying Falken STZ/01's in 235/55/17 103-rated flavour. Great tyre, legal for my axle weights, better reviews for grip/braking than any commercial tyre, although will probably not last as long as I assume they'll be a softer compound hence the better performance.

So, is this still a pointless thread?
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 11 at 22:39
Originally posted by The Transporter The Transporter wrote:

Sucks it is from me then!

But the real question is does he spit or swallow?
Censored

gargle's i reckon Ouch
my bigest fear is that when I die the missus will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Transporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 11 at 22:24
Sucks it is from me then!

But the real question is does he spit or swallow?

Edited by The Transporter - 16 Apr 11 at 22:25
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 11 at 22:18
Originally posted by The Transporter The Transporter wrote:

Originally posted by kernow kernow wrote:

Now would you take your nice shiny T5 alloys to fitter who thinks they suck  .

What geat business sense , try to get a sly freeby ad for your business while telling the folks your trying to sell to that what they have sucks . Clap that surely quaifies for a darwin award

Does that mean that he sucks?

lets vote   Star
my bigest fear is that when I die the missus will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Transporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 11 at 21:09
Originally posted by kernow kernow wrote:

What geat business sense , try to get a sly freeby ad for your business while telling the folks your trying to sell to that what they have sucks . Clap that surely quaifies for a darwin award

Does that mean that he sucks?

kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 11 at 20:47

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Transporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 11 at 20:23
Originally posted by silkmothmike silkmothmike wrote:

As far as my experience is concerned, I find these (T5 Alloy Wheel and tyres) sucking big time Big smile

Care to expand on that? or are you just trying to advertise your business for free?

By the way, your tyres aren't that competitive either..
swiss View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 11 at 16:24
What a pointless thread
One says car tyres
One says van tyres
Whats next?
I bought a pair of shoes three sizes too small and now have blisters and a bruise on ass where I slipped? But they were cheaper
At end of day there are just 4 inches of rubber that contact you with road

Vansales.com
http://www.vansales.com
http://www.swissvantek.com T5 Accessories
http://www.brokerweb.com
Trade/ CCL only finance website

01656 674620
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 11 at 21:43
104 is rated to 900kg 103 is rated to 875 kg  per tyre .  the load rating increases by 25kg for each number higher ie 105 =925 kg etc . 
I don't know what the letter T means  ,
I think its the speed rating for the load .
original fit michelins on my t32 are rated 106 or 104 H  I think the rating drops for higher speed . The ex x5 michelins I fitted are rated 104 .
875 kg per tyre gets you 3500 kg all up load and the original tyres 3600 kg , are you going to exceed that ?? The lighter rated VW vans may have had a lighter rating on the t28 etc worth a check , depending on what model, your van is .
Someone else may clear that up
I would try another tyre fitter , it strikes me the one you asked may be a bit of a jobsworth who is just checking a chart and has no idea what the figure means
CrazyCano View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 11 at 09:26
I have an odd situation.

I have purchased a 2004 T5 T30 in Australia and some 17" BMW X5 wheels with the intention of fitting 103 rated tyres.

I went into a local tyre fitter and they checked the tyre recommendation sticker and said it was illegal to fit the 103 tyres as my sticker said 106T minimum. I checked a 2006 T5 and their sticker said 102 minimum. 

I guess VW reduced the load requirement for the 2006 plated vans, however this leaves me stuck as there are no 106 rated 17" tyres available here in Oz :-(

I'm keen to keep the van legal, but this is testing my patience, is there a way to get the tyre sticker changed?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks
Alex
VW T5 2004 1.9TDI SURFBUS
Splitskin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Splitskin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 10 at 21:03
Anyone know what I should expect to pay for load rated tyres for 18" Dakars. I had 101's on but the van didn't go through the test (Irish test). They said I needed 102 on front and 103 on rear. My van is LWB if that makes a difference to tyre rates. The 101 cost €125 a pop!  
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 10 at 00:24
Originally posted by simon payne simon payne wrote:

Make sure once you've selected the tyre you want to check as many tyre fitters as possible.  I've just had 4 new Michelin Agilis Tyres on my T5, and the cheapest deal I could find was by buying them on-line at Kwik Fit. I had to pay in advance and they were fitted two days later in my local depot.
How much were they  . not the cheapest but for sure the best value for the miles they do .
just had a set of michelins fitted to our car , they were only about a fiver each more then the cheapie brand , they were on a offer though .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>