The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LT 35 (1982) steering camber adjustment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcaprani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LT 35 (1982) steering camber adjustment
    Posted: 04 Jul 10 at 12:49
Hey everyone,

I got up early this morning to go get the tracking done on my van. After being sent from one shop to the next 3 times ("That Luton box is too high for my ceiling mate"), I ended up bashing wing mirrors with a (parked) Transit. Luckily the driver was a good fella and let me off for £40 cash to get a replacement from the scrappy! I then realised that I should have just stayed in bed.

Which brings me onto my question - can anyone give any pointers on doing the tracking at home for an LT35? I have an 82 chassis cab, twin wheel type. All 4 rear tyres are fine as is the passenger side up front. Driver's side front tyre has heavy wear on the inside edge and van pulls to the left on straight roads. What little I know suggests this is due to camber rather than toe. Can I adjust this at home? Very grateful for any advice I receive, doubly so for any instructive pictures!

Cheers,

John

mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 10 at 14:04
The camber is adjusted with the top wishbone bolt, if you haven't got all the measuring kit it's going to be difficult to get it spot on but you can at least get it roughly right.
The wishbone bolt is flat on one side and runs through a pair of eccentric washers (one at each end). These should have their largest sector uppermost, and the flat part of the bolt shank should be vertical.
To adjust it you need to loosen the nut and rotate the bolt with a large (17mm?) allen key. Surely one of the commercial vehicle garages where you are will be able to do the job? I've been quoted £50 for adjusting the tracking and camber, as I've just replaced the upper wishbone bushes and want to make sure everything is spot on.
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
jcaprani View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcaprani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 10 at 20:18
Hey Mat,

Thanks for your reply. The only reason I want to do it myself, is I never like to pay another idiot to do what an idiot like me can do with a bit of extra time. And usually the money I can save allows me to buy another useful tool for my kit.

Also vehicle garages generally piss me off with their 2 usual responses: 1. We can't fix that and 2. That's going to cost you.

Cheers,

John
 Post Reply Post Reply