The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > South African T3s
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sa van availability

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theo5042 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sa van availability
    Posted: 21 Jul 10 at 17:57
Hi all.
I would like to gauge what the intrest would be in South African  built T3 vans,and which ones in particular would be desirable.I live in the U.K ,my brother has a VW restoration company in South Africa, and does quite a bit of work for U.K clients,eg he is sending out to split screen vans tomorrow.He is in a position to identify good examples and ship them over if there is a demand.
So if any one is interested let me know.(Moderator,if this post is not in order,I will remove ,let me know where to post,please.)
Theo
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 10 at 18:19
Ooooo get a price for a 2002 2.6i Exclusive shipped to the uk and inc all taxes/duties etc as I could be tempted.........ignore me I'm just thinking out loud!

Seriously though to be honest it really does depend on price because even though they are the best "factory" vans....looking at prices in SA plus all the duties it could put them out of most peoples budgets?

When they come up for sale here they range from about £5k upwards so get some prices off your brother and lets see if it's feasable.
theo5042 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theo5042 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 10 at 18:26

Thanks for that

I know the exchange rate is bad at the moment,as you say it will be down to price,I am on the case.!!Watch this space.!
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 10 at 18:29

Tell him to throw some SA spares in those buses before they set off....bell housings,brakes,glass etc etc.

Even if the vans are a no go due to the price there's always people after spares for the SA vans.

Edited by Steve B - 21 Jul 10 at 18:31
theo5042 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theo5042 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 10 at 20:20
Thanks ,I will keep that in mind,he sends out a fair bit of the earlier stuff,I will be bringing in a 62 gia soon,for resale ,so will see what else I can load.Maybe take orders.?
The vehicle you are after would probably cost close to 14k pounds,so that makes it too much I would say,but will post what is available  and price.
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 10 at 20:42
dont suppose he has a s/a bellhousing he can put in the split to send over has he?
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

theo5042 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theo5042 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 10 at 21:00
I think the container may be sealed by now but I will call and ask.What year/model /engine size?
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 10 at 21:06

For the 1991-2002 SA Microbus/Caravelle 2.5i and 2.6i 5 cylinder engines.

Edited by Steve B - 21 Jul 10 at 21:08
silverbullet View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 10 at 23:22
Theo, you may have just become my new best friend!
I have a 1995 2.6 Microbus as my daily driver and I loves it!  Front discs and pads at sensible money are at the top of my list, closely followed by the main engine coolant hoses with 22S numbers. A couple of spare window catches might be a good thing to carry on-board too.

Edited by silverbullet - 22 Jul 10 at 10:48
Have I missed anything?
theo5042 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theo5042 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 10 at 18:21
Hi
I have asked for price on your disk and pads,hopefully get answer in the am,will get back to you in the morning.My have to be quick,as the container is now going on Monday,hopefully I can get you sorted.
Theo
theo5042 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theo5042 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 10 at 18:23
Hi Steve
Should have an answer in the am,will keep you posted,container now going on Monday.
theo5042 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theo5042 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 10 at 09:31
Hi all
It has been a bit of a week!!
Things in sunny S.A move a bit slower.
Some prices for parts requested,now these may go up or down a bit depending on the shipping.
Bell housing £400.00Shocked ,we are trying to get the price down on this,and it comes without the cluch fork,still waiting for a price.I know,Iknow........!!!Embarrassed
Front discs ,pair,£175.00 Pads,£40.00
Window catch,£16.oo each.
I know some of these prices are scary,the problem seems that there is a high demand for these parts because the vehicles are used as taxis.
I will continue working on prices,let me know what you think.!
Theo
Surfrider View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Surfrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 10 at 13:47
Yes, Bellend Housing £ 400.00 Shocked
I BOOKED MY TICKET TO HELL ALONG TIME AGO.
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 10 at 14:04

Vented discs at £175 a pair is a hell of a lot better than 300 Euro from Winkler in Germany. Would that be the all-up, duties paid price or do the Treasury still get a look-in on top?

I guess that if there's a stack of parts needed the shipping will be minimal per customer.
Have I missed anything?
theo5042 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theo5042 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 10 at 18:23
At the moment,that price is allowing for the fact that the shipment is a bulk deal.So that should be about it,money wise.The chances are still that I could get them into a container with a whole load of other stuff.
The two vans have not left yet,has been another delay,the red tape is apita.
I have some more things that I want to bring out,I need to do a bit more homework.
Would there be a market for say 10 sets of discs?
I am still feeling my way around this whole thing!
I will hopefully have this sorted soon,just got to get it right.
Thanks for the feedback.Thumbs Up

Edited by theo5042 - 29 Jul 10 at 18:24
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 10 at 09:23
If there's a chance of the price improving further with a bulk order, I'd consider taking at least 2 full sets of discs and pads for my bus. There aren't many 2.6 buses here (with the big vented brakes) - I know of 2 or 3, but some of the syncro crew use them too.
You should post this up at club80-90 as there are a few late SA T3's listed in the membership.
Have I missed anything?
VWlewis View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VWlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 10 at 14:49
I looked into this market a couple of years ago - price is the key issue as Barnsley Steve observes.  Also the UK import duty (10%) and then VAT (17.5 soon to be 20%) can kill the deal Cry  and be aware the government knows the value of 1996 vans - they will not accept low value receipts!  (autotrader.co.za is easy to check!)

A £5000 van in S.A. could cost you £8000 or more by the time it is shipped to the UK and sitting on your drive!

There are some really nice vans over there though! Thumbs Up

Edited by VWlewis - 06 Aug 10 at 14:53
Dr. T15 - Took test in a T2, drove a T1, T4, T5 and now run a T3 - and I am not Tee'd off
tangalooma flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tangalooma flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 10 at 17:04

Hi, any chance of a price on a S.A.  5 speed box? cheers Andy

Automotivewizards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Automotivewizards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 10 at 12:01
Hi mate, i may be interested in a 5 speed gearbox and/or SA bell housing? can you still get these, if so how much?Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply