The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Bus Park
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T3 Doka "project"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 14 at 22:19
More body work pictures, 

Can just see in bottom left corner metal quite pitted so cut small section out too.

Got a little corner panel, under coated back then drilled some holes in the end and on returning edges so I could plug weld it on.

Welded in place, it was quite a good fit Smile

I then decided to sand the paint from further up the rear corner. As soon as I started sanding i realised there was quite a bit of filler from a previous repair. Doka must have been reversed into something on corner! Cry

Edited by Lits - 04 Nov 14 at 21:13
Don't start what you can't finish!
Lits View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 14 at 22:10

Because damage was right on the corner it ended up being easier to cut section out and weld in another piece.

cut and folded a piece.

Not sure where my other pictures of welding fill in piece are, but the other corner needed attention too. 

Tacked into place.

Welded round.

Found some more rust which had been fillered over.

Sanded it all back and cut out section.

Cut a small piece of metal and put a step in it for where panels join and there's an edge.

Then cut and folded section.

Mainly making this up as I go along! LOL

Edited by Lits - 04 Nov 14 at 22:12
jim potter View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim potter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 14 at 07:25
Looks like you are making good progress, i'm dreading having to find somewhere to do mine properly.

Full vcds ,vag tacho,
immo removal ( postal service avalible ), ecu remapping , spanners and a garage for anyone that wants any help, kettle always on.
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 14 at 08:36
she'll be mint when your done lits  Thumbs Up
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
Lits View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 14 at 21:54
Its not easy doing the body work Jim it all takes time and its not something I've done before so its a real learning curve, this forum has really helped me.

It would have been nice to buy original panels but cost comes into it and I want it to be a useable pick up not something that's too nice to abuse.

The area I've struggled in most is using the doka everyday so whatever I do has to be finished for the drive home LOL. Its not the best way to do it, driving home with wet undercoat on the side of your vehicle!!!

I couldn't afford to pay someone to do it properly, I'am a big believer in you get what you pay for.

Its not going to be mint but hopefully less rusty! LOLWink 

Lits View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 14 at 22:32
There was a small area of rust on the seam above the arch panel.

It takes time making these small repair sections Angry

Tacked in.

The bottom of the arch above the jacking point wasn't 100% either the more I cut the more rust I found.Cry

I think a lot of this is caused by water getting down air vent then running down inside of arch. Vw designed a drain to let this water escape but so much dirt gets down the vent too that it ends up blocked and holds water and keeps the debris wet.

Welded in some new metal as I thought it (kind of) was. Hopefully strengthen area up!

Did a little return at the bottom of the arch to attach next panel to.

T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3ADICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 14 at 22:46

have you come up with a plan for the engine lid yet..
nice work by the way...
WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
Lits View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 14 at 20:48
Thanks T3ADICT, yes gone for aluminium chequer plate bolted down with m6 plated dome head bolts.

Drivers side also had its rust issues!

The pitted areas were quite thin, so out with the angle grinder!

All welded up

Replaced the small bottom corner panel again with new one

needed minimal modification, just holes drilling in to weld it to arch.

Edited by Lits - 09 Nov 14 at 20:52
Lits View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 14 at 21:29
I wasn't happy with the arch on this side either, I had swapped it when I first got the doka. I got another arch as some of the surrounding areas needed sorting and I thought it would be easier to cut it back out to get to the rust.

The area below the air vent was in a bad state on this side too.

Welded up and painted with weld through primer.

This is the new arch being tried in to see how the repair patch will go.

Repair patch.

Lits View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 14 at 21:53
Once the arch and repair piece were welded in and the area below the vent/above jacking point sorted and painted too, I could modify the panel I got from schofields to suit pick up bodywork.

The bodywork was on going, but I had to start thinking about the engine Wink

I had rebuilt the carb with a brickwerks kit and it had run ok but never been great on fuel. It was a 1.9 DG and having seen how much it costs to rebuild these engines I decided to swap it for something newer before it let me down.

Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 14 at 22:02
You must have good hands because what I have seen here could put some body guys to shame.
Lits View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 14 at 22:13
I started to look into how others had fit Golf engines into their T3's, most people use the diesel mounting bars, bellhousing, sump, oil pump etc. This gives a 55 degree installation in order to keep engine under rear lid on campers and vans but in pick ups and dokas there is more room under the load bed so the engine can be mounted upright. I know VW designed the diesels to fit like this but I don't like how it looked and having priced up some of the diesel bits I knew I could do it miles cheaper upright (or 15 degrees anyway).

I saw how sid on here and someone on samba vertically mounted a 1.8t so decided to use diesel bellhousing and a home made adaptor plate.

I just needed to work out how to make one. LOL

fufflenarnia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 14 at 22:34
Are you sticking with stock gearbox? If yes you may not need an adaptor at all.

Great work by the way.
Lits View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 14 at 21:12

Thanks for the ego massaging Alonline, I am pleased with how its going but its not perfect by a long way!Embarrassed I am lucky my boss lets me abuse all the resources at work! It makes it so much easier than struggling in the street.  LOL

Lits View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 14 at 21:31
I am using the original 4 speed gearbox Fufflenarnia. 

Gearbox, then adaptor plate to rotate a diesel bellhousing  40 degrees round to give a 15 degree install.

I am going to cut up and use a spare petrol bellhousing to get the mounting holes and shaft location of the gearbox. 

Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 14 at 23:05
Can't you just use the petrol bell housing?
T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3ADICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 14 at 06:44

im sure I have seen petrol bell housing adaptor plates so you would not need to go buy a diesel bell housing.

WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
VWlewis View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VWlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 14 at 13:26
Top job mate - your welding is so good you should replace the robots in Wolfsburg!  Clap

I have had some welding done on our Caravelle but I wonder what else is hiding there!

Dr. T15 - Took test in a T2, drove a T1, T4, T5 and now run a T3 - and I am not Tee'd off
Lits View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 14 at 21:08
Thanks VWLewis Embarrassed

The boxer petrol bellhousing doesn't bolt to VW in-line 4 engine? I bought spare bellhousing to try that avenue but its come in handy for template.

I saw a picture of a cast adaptor plate to use petrol bellhousing on another forum, it looked smart but out of my budget! A piece of 10mm plate, butchered bellhousing and a few hours marking and drilling is more where this project is LOL

Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 14 at 21:22
I have a cad file of a inline housing if you want - I can pd it and you can print it onto 2 sheets of a3 or 4 of a4 and stock them together.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>