The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Pingking sound on the New Face Lift Caravelle T5
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pingking sound on the New Face Lift Caravelle T5

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelspj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pingking sound on the New Face Lift Caravelle T5
    Posted: 26 Jul 11 at 15:18

Hi,

I wonder if anyone could help me with my problem because I have got a New Caravelle T5 Face Lift with the 170 BHP DSG Gearbox, which I don't know if it is me.  But when you go down a narrow road from pulling off the engine seems to be Pingking, which I find unusual for an automatic and I was wondering if anyone else has come across this problem.
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 11 at 15:45
Is this the twin turbo 2.0 diesel engine that is rated at 180ps ?

Does it do it when accelerating in a straight line (or anywhere else) ?

Can you describe the circumstances when it does this in a bit more detail please ?

Could it be the normal sound of diesel injectors by any chance ?  The PD injectors on my 174 are quite noisy under load, but it doesn't sound much like pinking to me.  I thought the 180 was CR (common rail) which are supposed to be much quieter than the PD injectors.

Edited by gregozedobe - 26 Jul 11 at 15:46
wheelspj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelspj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 11 at 15:52
Yes, I believe it is the Twin Turbo 2.0 diesel and I notice the Pingking on accelerating from 0-20 mph
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 11 at 15:56
What engine revs does it start at and stop at ?
wheelspj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelspj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 11 at 15:58
1500 rpm
swiss View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 11 at 16:08
So few of these on the road apart from Utility it will be hard to duplicate and see if someone else has the same problem
Perphaps it is normal and one turbo comes in at a lower rev range 
Maybe its not and there is a fault
Do they use variable vanes on the turbos?
Maybe its the noise of a vane opening
Vansales.com
http://www.vansales.com
http://www.swissvantek.com T5 Accessories
http://www.brokerweb.com
Trade/ CCL only finance website

01656 674620
wheelspj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelspj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 11 at 16:15
I am thinking about taking it back to my VW Dealer to let them have a listen and also it seems that when you accelerate from a junction it seems to think about it and then go for it, which I'm not sure if this is collect
blackvanman View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackvanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 11 at 21:25
Won't be buying one of those in a hurry!
'09' 174 kombi, swb, pearl black
Kev The Gas View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

BUS WANKER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kev The Gas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 11 at 21:33
My Caravelle 180 ps  dsg is booked into supplying dealer on Thursday for a DSG ecu update. 

Mine to is quite unresponsive whilst pulling away and all of a sudden a lunge forward, reversing can be a pain as well  without the passengers thinking you cant drive !! 

Tell you more when I drive home. 

Kev 

T5.1 T32 LWB Kombi 140 ps. Sold

T5.1 Caravelle Executive 2.0BiTDI
180PS DSG Sold

T5.1 Kombi LWB 180 BiTDI DSG   

T6 California Beach 150 DSG
wheelspj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelspj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 11 at 21:40

Hi Kev,

Yes, please keep me informed because I would be interested if this does make a difference.

What dealer ship RU going to?

Vanorak
Vanorak

BUS WANKER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kev The Gas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 11 at 07:36
Eurovans Crawley

180PS DSG Sold

wheelspj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelspj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 11 at 14:22

Hi Kev,

Another thing what MPG RU getting out of your Caravelle because I was told that I would be getting about 42 miles to the gallon, but I'm not getting it and I was wondering if it is because my Caravelle is 180 BHP DSG 7 speed gearbox.

I would be interested in what you are getting
Vanorak
Vanorak

BUS WANKER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kev The Gas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 11 at 16:24
Approx 425 miles per tankfull, all short journeys.

Computer says approx 27mpg from new

My 140 ps manual Kombi  says 32mpg from new.

In the Caravelle I drove to the Vendee in May @ max of 60 mph using cruise  and managed 540 miles on a tank.

I drove home with cruise set to 80mph  and managed 440 to a full tank. 

Both journeys  had 6 people inside and a roof box on top.

Edited by Kev The Gas - 27 Jul 11 at 16:27

180PS DSG Sold

wheelspj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelspj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 11 at 18:13
Well, I'm getting 32 mpg and that this continuous motorway work sitting at speeds of 80 - 90 mph.  But I'm now pleased with this because my previous Caravelle was a V6 and I was only getting 21 mpg
Vanorak
Vanorak

BUS WANKER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kev The Gas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 11 at 20:19
[QUOTE=wheelspj]

Hi Kev,

Yes, please keep me informed because I would be interested if this does make a difference.

What dealer ship RU going to?

The Caravelle had today an ecu update for the dsg box, an ecu update for emissions ? and the radio fix. 

The 30 mile drive home was a lot more fun than the drive up this morning. 

The delay /lunge when pulling away has disappeared Clap.

I have said since getting the Velle I thought my manual 140 ps was more fun to drive but now  !!!!!

180PS DSG Sold

wheelspj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelspj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 11 at 20:43

I am glad to hear the lunge and the delay has now stopped and is it more responsive

wheelspj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelspj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 11 at 14:53

Hi Kev,

well, just thought I would let you know I have contacted my VW agent and having a update on the ECU on Wednesday.  But they tell me that my engine chassis say's that there is recall on the vehicle, so basically thank you for letting me know about this.

Bye for now

wheelspj
wheelspj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelspj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 11 at 19:00

Hi Kev,

Well, just thought I would let you know I've had my Caravelle update done today, but it wasn't is easy as I thought because for some reason it made my air conditioning keep blowing hot-air out and in temperatures like today wasn't pleasant.

So I thought I would say to you check your air-conditioning and if this does the same thing tell the VW agent to disconnect the battery for four seconds.

But I must say I having the update it has changed the vehicle a lot
Vanorak
Vanorak

BUS WANKER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kev The Gas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 11 at 19:09
Thumbs Up

180PS DSG Sold

Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 11 at 00:52
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>