The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"IM BACK" Noisy tappet?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Tetchy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE WONDER BUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "IM BACK" Noisy tappet?
    Posted: 01 Jan 12 at 20:38

Hi there,just bought a 1995 Westfalia Florida!,had to sell my 1996 35 as i lost my job!!,anyhow i have lots to ask!!I have a noisy hydraulic tapett and need advice if its a home job or a garage?,also i need some parts i.e roof vent cover,wheeltrims ( are they 15" ),Happy new year!!!

1994 Westfalia Florida "BIG Z"
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 12 at 22:21
Without knowing your technical capability it's impossible to say but bear in mind that you need to remove the camshaft to do this. Taking the cam out means that you have to disturb both the crank to cam and the cam to injector pump timing, so if you're not confident in your abilities then leave it to a pro.

Are you sure it's definitely a tappet, or a worn pin that drives the vacuum pump? I've had good results with Forte engine flush on sticky tappets before, but that will obviously not work if the problem is down to wear.

Standard wheels are 14" but to confirm the correct size will be marked on the tyre.

Edited by mat_the_cat - 01 Jan 12 at 22:22
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
THE WONDER BUS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Tetchy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE WONDER BUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 12 at 23:33
The engine runs fine and is really powerful,its a real tinny noise like a ticking! but loud,im a Linde forklift engineer so im ok on the spanners,The guy who had it previous never did any maintenance,i have changed oil i just want to sort this noise out!,its going for a re-spray next week then im going to tackle the tick!,what was you saying about the vaccum pump? and where is it thanks Mat.
BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 12 at 12:30

read   this topic   you should find it useful, and you'll find the vacuum pump fitted half way along the head (between pots 3 & 4) on the nearside (passenger side RHD) of engine, hope this helps, Jack.

NIL ILLIGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
THE WONDER BUS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Tetchy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE WONDER BUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 12 at 18:18
Thanks Jack,will try that and let you know!, Mat.
 Post Reply Post Reply