The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Audi A4 Passat gear box install

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 16>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kent Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 13 at 21:34
Well after a long and slow engine and box upgrade I now have a flipped 5 speed Passat box, with Tim's adaptor plate and the drive shaft adaptors, for anyone that is unsure that this is for them I now can comfortable cruise at 70/80mph and can do 90mph at 3100rpm and have covered approx. 1000 miles and well pleased with the end result, without people like Tim prepared to invest time and money in to these type of projects were would we be trying to keep or old bus's on the road 
Keith

1990 PD TDI Westy Atlantic
youthy giblets View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youthy giblets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 13 at 21:55
Very glad to hear that. Did you go for an afn engine?
Kent Joker View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kent Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 13 at 16:32
Originally posted by youthy giblets youthy giblets wrote:

Very glad to hear that. Did you go for an afn engine?

No I had the PD fitted, once you have a good box you get a lot more engine choice, just thought the PD is such a good engine and very tuneable with good fuel return it was the best choice for me Tongue

now running around 200 bhp & 300Nm

Edited by Kent Joker - 10 Sep 13 at 16:33
Keith

Scimdiesel View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scimdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 13 at 15:46
Anyone bought all the bits to do a flipped gearbox,  from Tim and done it them selves.   

How long does it take? ..ISH 
Without engineers science is just philosophy..... Joined the revolution with a 18 year old TDI :
Kent Joker View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kent Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 13 at 15:57
Sorry cant be of any help, MV Engineering did mine using Tims adaptor plate

Its made a massive difference
Keith

easy-does-it View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easy-does-it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 13 at 21:40
Lovely bit of kit Tim...

Cheers.

Edited by easy-does-it - 07 Oct 13 at 15:57
.76 Baywindow ..was EJ20T , now going superfly Tdi
markd89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markd89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 13 at 00:02
Looks pretty :-)

I see you're mounting at 50*, does Tim's plate let you mount at 15* too?

I'll stay tuned to watch your progress. I know the plan on the shifting, the front mount should be interesting to see. I'll buy one if you make an extra :-D

Mark

bug-er View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bug-er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 13 at 15:58
Guys check out mv engineering mario offers a rear support bar complete with hydro mounts which bolts in your bay or split.
Who you had do the machine work on the gearbox? And what final drives you using with which engine?
bobby-gg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobby-gg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 13 at 18:24
I'm watching this with great interest Tim as I think it will be the next upgrade for mine Thumbs Up

Can I ask what clutch set-up you are using, just that my Passat donor came with a dual mass flywheel which I binned and fitted a Golf TDI flywheel and 228mm plate instead - should I of kept the dual mass set-up to use with the Passat box?

Rob.
easy-does-it View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easy-does-it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 13 at 20:24
Mark, i'll pm ya buddy when i sort the mount out Wink

bug-er.. Wish id known about the mounts before i did mine.. 
              I approached six engineering companies and no one would touch it. In the end i did it                     myself using the table/jig and router method, easy. As for the box ratio's i have no idea                   how the witchcraft and sorcery behind the numbers calculate, My donor car was an audi                   80 so this is the 1Z and box from that ,think the box is a BAA ?

bobby-gg.... As ive just put above ,i used an audi 80 so this is the set up that was in the car,                               comes with a single mass flywheel... your golf TDI flywheel wont work with this flip box                     route as the starter has to sit behind the engine and the teeth are on the wrong side                     of the flywheel ..

cheers brett
.76 Baywindow ..was EJ20T , now going superfly Tdi
markd89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markd89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 13 at 16:03
Originally posted by easy-does-it easy-does-it wrote:

Mark, i'll pm ya buddy when i sort the mount out Wink

Hey Brett--

Couple more things I thought of...

1. Are you doing any bellhousing mount or just going to mount at the nosecone and then use the engine to support the other enf od the trans?

2. You probably know, but... to mount that TDI at 50* I think you need a new oilpan and oil pickup..

Mark
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 13 at 17:27
Bobby
Duel or single mass passat/A4 clutch and flywheel used with Passat/A4 gearbox. Golf clutch/ flywheel used for VW bus transaxle.

Tim
Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
www.ultimate-engineering.co.uk
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 13 at 12:16
Considering going down this route over the winter using an Audi 80 as my donor for both box and 1Z engine. 

I currently have a 4 speed box, so it's a 4 speed selector in there, will I need to source a 5 speed selector/rods for the Audi box? Sorry if it's a daft question, I'm new to t3s. Embarrassed
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 13 at 13:37
You can use your 4 speed stick and shift rod to work the 5 speed Passat/A4 gearbox.
Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
mattyfolt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattyfolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 13 at 22:55
Hi guys, new member here, long time browser. Anyway the reason im here is im having some gearbox trouble at the mo and im hoping to upgrade to a passat box. Only problem is im running a EJ20 subaru engine with an Rjes bell housing. Does anyone make an adapter plate for subaru engines or is there a more suitable box i could be using. Any info would be much appreicated.
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 13 at 16:51
Which EJ20 are you running. Wiki list turbo and non turbo, single and double ohc?

Generally a good T3 transmission should cope well with the torque of mild petrol engines.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
mattyfolt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattyfolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 13 at 19:36
Originally posted by VW Nerd VW Nerd wrote:

Which EJ20 are you running. Wiki list turbo and non turbo, single and double ohc?

Generally a good T3 transmission should cope well with the torque of mild petrol engines.

Hi Tim. Its a non turbo single cam. Im currently running a standard 5 speed that used to be paired to the 1.6 diesel. The gearbox itself hasn't actually failed yet but it feels a bit tired and im just about to put my 3rd relese bearing in under 2 years and less than 15000 miles. I would also like to bring down the revs at motorway speeds. 
adyjoad View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adyjoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 14 at 09:54
For all you people that have successfully completed this conversion, how much oil are you running in the gearbox?)
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 14 at 10:06
I have been filling up through the side bung until it starts to flow out. This is about 4 litres. I would suggest a thin oil as the std oil makes selecting 2nd gear difficult first thing on a cold morning.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
adyjoad View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adyjoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 14 at 10:20
I used the side bung and got to about 4.5 litres with nothing flowing out so stopped there. Result is that it has thrown a fair bit of oil out the breather. This is the bung by the output flange. Using 75/90 semi synthetic.

Noticed the second gear thing this morning. Not difficult as such just a little hesitant.

Adapter was spot on by the way, thanks very much. And I'm loving 77mph aT300 rpm!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 16>