The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Audi A4 Passat gear box install

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davegsm82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 15 at 23:52
Are the Flip Kits still available? I'm looking to put a TDI in my 1.6TD T3. 

Is there a definitive guide as to what you need to do the conversion? I already have a spare AHF engine, turbo, ECU etc. The electronics aren't a problem to me as that's my game, similarly i'm quite capable of doing the mechanicals myself (Nursing my ASV MK4 Golf on past 287,000 Miles).

Advice is most appreciated, especially regarding what gearbox I should be looking to buy.

Dave.
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 15 at 09:25
All parts are still available from me, with details on my web site.
http://www.ultimate-engineering.co.uk/index.html
If you need more info regarding engine/gearbox choice then email me
timshettle@gmail.com
and I will send you some lists of recommended parts needed from your donor car etc.

Tim.
Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
www.ultimate-engineering.co.uk
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
davegsm82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davegsm82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 15 at 09:42
Thanks Tim, you have an Email.

Dave.
davegsm82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davegsm82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 15 at 21:41
How does the following sound, AHF engine (110) with turbo from a AHU (90) and a DHL box (from the A4 with the AHU). Thinking that the DHL box will be slightly lower geared so will be more suited to pulling the van?

Dave.
dub warrior2 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dub warrior2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 15 at 00:13
Has anybody seen this months issue of Practical Performance Car?
One of the writers is working on a Vw Nova kit car and has installed a Subaru engine. Interestingly, he has used the Subaru 5 speed box which is very similar to the Passat/Audi box, but, instead of running the box upside down, there is a company that sells a rebuild kit so the internals can be swapped around.
No machining of the box involved.
The kit isnt cheap but is an interesting alternative to the "upside down" Passat box
T4 wannabe.
gazza7200 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazza7200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 15 at 22:02
Check out Dave clymer:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=407222&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=100&sid=1d61558c0ded7c90201c09899c639514
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 17 at 20:54
Just to bring things up to date on this topic.

Cable gear change is now available for this conversion that gives much more of a car like feel to gear shifting. This uses the Porsche 986 Boxster gearbox linkage and special custom made cables and cab unit to suit the VW Transporter.

Also if you plan on modifying your own gearbox, You must recess the relevant dowel holes in the front face of the bell housing before you remove the 15mm. If not there positions will be lost forever which is far from ideal as they are needed to keep engine and gearbox in perfect alignment.
Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
danozeman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danozeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 17 at 22:02
What dowel holes need doing Tim.  Im having another gearbox machined.
Originally posted by VW Nerd VW Nerd wrote:

Just to bring things up to date on this topic.

Cable gear change is now available for this conversion that gives much more of a car like feel to gear shifting. This uses the Porsche 986 Boxster gearbox linkage and special custom made cables and cab unit to suit the VW Transporter.

Also if you plan on modifying your own gearbox, You must recess the relevant dowel holes in the front face of the bell housing before you remove the 15mm. If not there positions will be lost forever which is far from ideal as they are needed to keep engine and gearbox in perfect alignment.
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 17 at 09:47
Depending on whether you are fitting an engine at 50deg or 20 will depend on which holes need recessing in your gearbox before you remove the 15mm.
Check the adaptor plate for these holes.

You will have 2 dowels in your engine block that go into one side of the adaptor plate and the gearbox will then dowel onto the other face of the adaptor plate with a further 2 dowels.

Drop me an email if you need more info.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
Jacobus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacobus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 17 at 14:22
Hi all,

I'm hoping to buy an AFN engine ( or to be exact: a donor car ),. and it looks like it will be a Golf so, a transverse engine (It has only 200.000 km on the clock which is a lot less then anything else I found for sale)

Will Tim's adaptor plate fit? Is the gearbox bolt patern to same? I now the engineblock is a bit different when using a Passat/Audi longitudinale mounted AFN..

It _is_ floored
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 17 at 14:40
The adaptor plate will fit but you would be better getting an A4 or Passat B5 so that you have the engine, gearbox, wiring loom, flywheel, clutch, intercooler, intercooler pipework etc etc. All of which is better suited to the conversion. Check the ultimate engineering face book page for more info.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
Jacobus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacobus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 17 at 09:18
I did get the Golf AFN engine, but sourced an Audi at the breakers for the gearbox, turbo, flywheel, clutch intercooler and pipework.

Loom will come from the Golf, so the only extra difficulty will be getting the speedsensor on the 012Audi gearbox to work with the Golf ECU.
It _is_ floored
randolph57 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randolph57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 17 at 10:09
What you need is a Hall effect sensor-These are available to connect to the OEM position on the back of the speedo housing and then patching to the relevant ECU line.
Go westy sell them and they are available through Campervan culture and also other variants from RJES and also german ebay.

Google images show the fitment but from memory the ECU does not need this sensor for the engine to function-although if it had awareness it may wonder why its running at 3000+ rpm whilst stood still.
obviously you would want this function if running a scan /ultragauge .

alternatively the audi gearbox sensor would be as easy. sorry i dont have ECU pin-outs for the golf but Tim probably has!

VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 17 at 17:34
You can just wire the 012 gearbox sensor(vss) to the ECU vss input. This does work, but I have heard that fitting a pull down resistor into the wiring is the better way to do it.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
Jacobus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacobus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 17 at 21:31

The dowelholes

Inside the yellow square: Dowel hole is outside of the adapterplate, so no need to recess this hole

Inside the green square:  Big dowel hole (?). This area will be deleted to make room for the starter to fit.

Inside the two red squares: The dowel holes that need recessing.

When using the adapter for the 50 degree installation, Those 2 dowel holes line up with the same size holes in the adapterplate.  I found 'a guy' who will be doing the milling on my gearbox, and I had to sort out which holes need recessing, and how everything will be fitting together, but I couldn't find any example pictures on the internet (or I just don't know where to look).  Installation will probably be childsplay, so nobody bothers to take pictures of it I guess?

Anyhoe: I hope this picture is correct? ( sorted this out on my own, with only the gearbox at hand )
It _is_ floored
Jacobus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacobus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 17 at 21:34
Second question: Did any of you guys add a hole to be able to markout Top Dead Center (TDC) on the flywheel?
It _is_ floored
Jacobus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacobus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 17 at 11:09
Any thoughts on breather placement?

The drainplug is located above the diff, and foaming of splashing oil could lead to oil comming out of the gearbox.

I'm not keen on catchtanks or on needing Y hoses to drain catchtanks

I'll be using a pipe:

I've drilled a hole in the gearbox, just outside the diff-section, at the green arrow. Just like a guy in Austria did ( borrowed his pictures, edited them:

There's just enough thickness to drill and tap M12x1,25mm thread. And I will be using the standard plastic cap of the original breather.

It _is_ floored
PICKLEBRANTON View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PICKLEBRANTON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 17 at 12:00
Hi

I have a T3 with a 3.9 efi. Is there a Passat gearbox that will be a good candidate? I cannot tilt my engine. Are there adapter plates? I have v8 to standard T3 box but assume that will not work for this. What sort of rpm/mph will be achievable. Currently 2000rpm = 40mph Unhappy
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 17 at 16:45
Originally posted by Jacobus Jacobus wrote:

The dowelholes

Inside the yellow square: Dowel hole is outside of the adapterplate, so no need to recess this hole

Inside the green square:  Big dowel hole (?). This area will be deleted to make room for the starter to fit.

Inside the two red squares: The dowel holes that need recessing.

When using the adapter for the 50 degree installation, Those 2 dowel holes line up with the same size holes in the adapterplate.  I found 'a guy' who will be doing the milling on my gearbox, and I had to sort out which holes need recessing, and how everything will be fitting together, but I couldn't find any example pictures on the internet (or I just don't know where to look).  Installation will probably be childsplay, so nobody bothers to take pictures of it I guess?

Anyhoe: I hope this picture is correct? ( sorted this out on my own, with only the gearbox at hand )

The hole in the green square is used for a 20 degree install.
As you say the dowel in the yellow square is not used.
No matter which dowel holes you need to use, they must be recessed before you remove the 15mm off the front face of the gearbox. The dowel holes are not 15mm deep and their positions will be lost if skim the box first.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
Billy82van View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy82van Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 18 at 19:20
Hi Tim, I've just emailed you as got an engine and box, just need the rest!

Phil
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516>