The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Audi A4 Passat gear box install

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 16>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VWlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 12 at 08:11
Originally posted by passatpd130 passatpd130 wrote:

vw say the 6spd box is sealed for life no need to change the oil lol

Whose life?  our VeeDubs go on and on and on and on LOL
Dr. T15 - Took test in a T2, drove a T1, T4, T5 and now run a T3 - and I am not Tee'd off
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 12 at 18:35
Anyone got any knowledge about auto transmissions?  Could an auto box be flipped in the same way?
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
ronnus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 12 at 20:59
Tim,

Thanks for the answer om my question about the Seat AFN clutch. The starter ring is on the wrong site of the clutch, at the gearbox site. So if i go for this project i need another clutch. I think the most tdi engines of the golf style havethis problem.
Maybe there is another small problem, the flywheel of the current clutch is fitted with 6 bolts to the crankshaft, what i have seen is that a passat clutch has 8 or 10 bolts. So they will not fit, evenso the size is a passat clutch is 240 mm.
Are there suitable clutches with 6 boltholes and size 240 mm to fit the upsitedown gearbox?

regards ron
..lee.. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 12 at 22:26
@ hutch. I'm sure I've read somewhere that the auto boxes don't need flipping as the have drop gears in the back of th box that can be swapped about to revers the action of the box.

This has crossed my mind as a possible syncro option as the auto box may be a substitute for the g gear

Lee
it`s a big round cage but there`s too many animals in it for my liking.to address this ring lee on 07977 765818.
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 12 at 08:56
Originally posted by ronnus ronnus wrote:

Tim,

Maybe there is another small problem, the flywheel of the current clutch is fitted with 6 bolts to the crankshaft, what i have seen is that a passat clutch has 8 or 10 bolts.

Are there suitable clutches with 6 boltholes and size 240 mm to fit the upsitedown gearbox?

All of the Passat / Audi A4 clutches from the AFN (110hp) engine range have the 6 bolt fixing.

If you source your engine and gear box from the same car then you don't need to worry about swapping to the correct style.

All transverse engines will have the ring gear on the wrong end of the fly wheel,

So go with a fly wheel from the inline gear box for the correct starter ring gear position.

Edited by VW Nerd - 14 Jul 12 at 09:01
Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
www.ultimate-engineering.co.uk
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
jc_geddes View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jc_geddes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 12 at 09:17
Tim,  
you finished the first one yet?  
Have you driven it?
Is the gear change cable or rod?

The shift pattern - I am assuming from you like picture that the H is the correct way around, and not upside down or back to front.

Progress report please.
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 12 at 11:21
Originally posted by jc_geddes jc_geddes wrote:

Tim,  
you finished the first one yet?  
Have you driven it?
Is the gear change cable or rod?

The shift pattern - I am assuming from you like picture that the H is the correct way around, and not upside down or back to front.

Progress report please.

Not finished yet

Not driven it yet

Gear change rod type

All gears as per the Audi. The correct way around.

Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
youthy giblets View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youthy giblets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 12 at 21:49
glad to see someones actually put this idea into use on a T3, famous phil was threatening to do this about 18months ago but never got round to doing so, at the time we decided that with an AFN the 5 speed boxes would be geared well for a T3 but i still think a 130tdi will pull a 6speed ok in a tin top t3. keep up the good work Jon
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 12 at 22:53
Drove the bus today!Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.
On the hole a good drive for a first outing.
Need to make the oil stay in the gear box. I guess that my breather hole is to big.Cry
Plus the gear lever moves to far in my opinion from left and right, so some fine tuning needed there tomorrow.Geek

DVX code gear box with 185 14 tyres gives 77mph @ 3000 and 90mph @ 3500.
At the bottom end 1st gear 1000rpm=6mph.

Tim.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
T3Panel View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3Panel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 12 at 23:27
Originally posted by VW Nerd VW Nerd wrote:

Tim.

1987 T3 Panel 2.0 T3i!
1990 T3 Atlantic
1.8T Conversion sat on an engine stand waiting for spare time.
Dyno Soar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyno Soar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 12 at 23:35
Nice work Tim.

Racebiz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racebiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 12 at 00:20
Good to see its nearly there Tim Smile
98 T3 PD130 Viking Top
A4 1.9 TDI
Classic RangeRover 3.9 EFI
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youthy giblets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 12 at 21:30
Originally posted by VW Nerd VW Nerd wrote:

Drove the bus today!Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.<!-- bmi_SafeAddOnload(bmi_load,"bmi_orig_img",1);//-->
On the hole a good drive for a first outing.
Need to make the oil stay in the gear box. I guess that my breather hole is to big.Cry
Plus the gear lever moves to far in my opinion from left and right, so some fine tuning needed there tomorrow.Geek

Where did u locate your breather mate? I'm guessing it wasn't above the diff? Also have you increased the amount of oil in the gearbox, we wondered if the oil level needed to be higher once the box is flipped, our thinking was that the height of the diffs changed once the box was flipped. Lots of oil flying round in there at motorway speeds tho I guess, well done il be watching with interest
Tim.
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 12 at 22:02
All done and working well. New gear box breather and modified gear linkage now fitted.
My customer is collecting his bus tomorrow, with plans for quite a road trip.
Maybe he will be along soon with some feed back, once he has clocked up some miles.   

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
fufflenarnia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 12 at 08:01
That's great news Tim.

Are you confident enough to put together and start selling a kit?

What is your time scale? - it would be great to have one off you for a winter project - I can add it to my list of to do's!

I have an agg engine from a golf with a jx flywheel - i am intreagued as to what starter motor I would need?

Edited by fufflenarnia - 21 Jul 12 at 08:05
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 12 at 08:57
I don't know what fly wheel types are fitted to the petrol engine, but with the diesel you a choice of a single or dual mass flywheel. I suggest that you get one of these and a starter from the Audi A4 or Passat.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youthy giblets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 12 at 23:43
good work tim, nice to no there will soon be another t3 gearbox option available. Did you fill with more oil than standard a4/passat amount then? Driveshaft flanges appear to be standard T3 units, i guess you made a hybrid by machining and welding the A4 and T3 flanges together? When phil and i looked at doing this it was an easier solution than adaptor plates but we questioned the reliability of doing it that way. never stripped the t3 box an further to see if any of the deeper internal components (drive flange to diff) were suitable to use.....think we started on the Gp and forgot all about it. I expect the van was a pleasure to drive with a modern feeling smooth gearbox?
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 12 at 09:28
Originally posted by youthy giblets youthy giblets wrote:

good work tim, nice to no there will soon be another t3 gearbox option available.

Did you fill with more oil than standard a4/passat amount then?Filled to the oil level bung

Driveshaft flanges appear to be standard T3 units, Yes std T3

i guess you made a hybrid by machining and welding the A4 and T3 flanges together? Nope std

When phil and i looked at doing this it was an easier solution than adaptor plates but we questioned the reliability of doing it that way. never stripped the t3 box an further to see if any of the deeper internal components (drive flange to diff) were suitable to use.....think we started on the Gp and forgot all about it.

I expect the van was a pleasure to drive with a modern feeling smooth gearbox?I have been spoiled with driving my TDI bus with UN1 gear box for the last 2 years, but I must say to go from JX 1.6 turbo diesel and 3H gear box to the Audi A4 AFN 1.9TDI (110bhp) with a matched gearbox certainly transformed the bus.
Plenty of power and long gear ratios in the gear box to match. All this from an MOT failure AUDI A4 bought for not much money. 

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youthy giblets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 12 at 09:37
Originally posted by BUS.BOY BUS.BOY wrote:

Here's a few pic's of my box fitted last year

The black rubber hose you see on the box was the breather but is now blocked off

Just out of interest how many miles have you covered on this box and have u had any problems

the pipe you see in this below picture is the breather   It use to be the drain bung but is now on the top

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youthy giblets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 12 at 19:30
Tim just out of interest is the gearbox you are using the same as the passat one we looked at flipping, as when i removed the drive flanges from the passat box it appeared to be a complete splined shaft (that fiits into diff) with the drive flange on the opposite end. If so have you had to fabricate a new splined shaft to link the diff to the T3 drive flange or have you again used T3 or off the shelf vw parts??
Be nice to have such a conversion that uses all off the shelf vag parts as you said earlier, if something gives abroad it can be a pain in the arseespecially if you have to try and get something fabricated
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 16>